free hit
counters
Stage 1 2-11 exhaust - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Stage 1 2-11 exhaust

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jo

Do you know what noise level it is supposed to be? I thought the early exhausts were very close to the limit for tracks like Bedford but I know the later ones (as fitted to my car and I guess yours too originally) are quieter by about 5db.

Snetterton was the first time I had the chance to listen to a 2-11 at full chat from the pit wall (thanks to Gavin) and it wasn't the prettiest noise. Be interested to know if the Stage 1 makes it sound better.

Derrick

Saving up for a sequential gearbox

Had a full 2bular gt3 exhaust system fitted to mine and I love it. No problem with track niose limits except at the quietest circuits and makes the car feel much livlier too. Should last much longer that the poor quality Lotus exhausts which seem to disintigrate after 18 months!

Paul

Edited by pgn340r

Had a quick blast between showers today and it sounds much nicer from behind the wheel, and various onlookers at B&C when I came back said how nice it sounded as well.

Noise level wise I think it comes in at 97.5db, though it will get louder as it gets older I'm told. (Derrick check with Chris Monk at B&C - he gave me the figures)

That'll get me into all but Bedford, and I'm not keen on that track anyway so not unduly concerned if I can't go there.

Hmm looks like I better get myself booked into Bedford before I get tempted into a new exhaust (haven't been there yet).

Note to Scott - DO NOT start Jo's car up the next time I am in B&C - I don't want to have to buy a new exhaust just yet.

Don't worry being a Lotus item it will rust and fall off in a year so you can get the Stage1 then!

Hmm looks like I better get myself booked into Bedford before I get tempted into a new exhaust (haven't been there yet).

Note to Scott - DO NOT start Jo's car up the next time I am in B&C - I don't want to have to buy a new exhaust just yet.

Message for Dell.

BAAAAAAAAAAARK........POP, POP,BAAAAAARRKKK.POP,POP, BANG................................repeat, but personalise with your right foot.

I'd get down here with a few hundred sheets, as it will make you smile!

Cheers,

Scott.

PS - I totally forgot about your nuts and bolts whilst up at Hethel; I'm there 28th, so if you are free that following weekend, you are welcome to my shop on the Sunday and a toolkit, plus I'll offer a hand to help on the aero.

BAAAAAAAAAAARK........POP, POP,BAAAAAARRKKK.POP,POP, BANG................................repeat, but personalise with your right foot.

:D and there was me thinking burble burble brum :lol::lol:

I am not planning to change the aero just yet - the plot is to get to the stage where I can consistently drive the car at/near its limits before I start tweaking it - that way I will have a chance to notice the effects of the changes (rather than it being a random bit of talent). That is one of the reasons for going back to the same track so many times - it removes one more variable from the equation.

Any chance of getting a copy of the group photos from the recent Hethel/Snetterton bash or are B&C keeping these under wraps?

Not sure yet, but I know the guys down there so will drop in on a track day beforehand and get it tested - if it looks like being an issue I'll have the oem fitted back on for the GRRC day.

Jo,

If it's a quiiet day i.e 98 decibels as opposed to a noisy one (105) I think you will find a stage one will definately fail, I know it does on an Exige S. If you are a member of the GRRC they might let you in if you short shift past the drive by noise meters

Paul

Edited by pgn340r

I had my Esprit tested today at Castle Combe. Erm, 113dB, gonna have to get some silencers on there!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I had my Esprit tested today at Castle Combe. Erm, 113dB, gonna have to get some silencers on there!

That's bloody loud even my Lotus standards, you sure you don't have a hole in your exhaust LOL

Paul

Jo,

If it's a quiiet day i.e 98 decibels as opposed to a noisy one (105) I think you will find a stage one will definately fail, I know it does on an Exige S. If you are a member of the GRRC they might let you in if you short shift past the drive by noise meters

Paul

It's a GRRC day so 105db - checked with James on Saturday. Ta for the thought tho, was worth checking :D

Snetterton was the first time I had the chance to listen to a 2-11 at full chat from the pit wall (thanks to Gavin) and it wasn't the prettiest noise. Be interested to know if the Stage 1 makes it sound better.

Derrick

Hi Derrick. Not sure if we chatted at Snett but glad I could be of assistance!

The noise does take some of the drama away from the car, but at least you can hear the tyres squeal!

Mine (later Lotus unit, car 150) read 92db at Bedford and Snett, static. Bedford is my local circuit so I need to get through there. They also have a 'one trip of the noise meter and you're out' policy.

g

Mine (later Lotus unit, car 150) read 92db at Bedford and Snett, static. Bedford is my local circuit so I need to get through there. They also have a 'one trip of the noise meter and you're out' policy.

I have had mine noise tested at Castle Combe (3 times) and Snet - all the results differ remarkedly. Lowest reading was 88, highest 92 (both at Castle Combe). Whilst keen to not make it so loud I can't put it on a track, the standard exhaust doesn't exactly stir the blood - the only plus point is that not many people get to hear it for long :D

• 3 weeks later...
Message for Dell.

I'd get down here with a few hundred sheets, as it will make you smile!

Cheers,

Scott.

PS - I totally forgot about your nuts and bolts whilst up at Hethel; I'm there 28th, so if you are free that following weekend, you are welcome to my shop on the Sunday and a toolkit, plus I'll offer a hand to help on the aero.

Does the "track version" have the sports exhaust as standard?..also does it a catalytic convertor?? My local track has leaded race fuel..so is it Ok to run this fuel? If it has a Cat I would imagine the lead would affect it.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I always though my 2-11 sounded fantastic...but this forum was saying how much better the sports exhaust sounded ,so I ordered one. ;)

When it arrived (at great expense for its 20000km journey).. it was the identical to the one my car came fitted with. :P

I contacted B & C, and apparently some 2-11's came with the sports exhaust as standard, but Lotus's records are vague and they cant determine by build number or VIN which cars these are.

So now I have a sports exhaust in New Zealand thats about get another stamp in its passport.