free hit
counters
Stage 1 2-11 exhaust - Page 2 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the GT circuit at Bedford today.. with the Stage 1 exhaust.

Intial static test a 5500rpm (told them it redlined at 8000) was 99db.. so no probs getting on the circuit.

Also car did not trigger the driveby meters all day.

Unfortunately I was black flagged twice, once in morn for overtaking 3 abreast into a corner.. smack wrist.

Then 2nd black flag in afternoon for racing my mate in his Xbow (which was going really well!).

Had had enough by then, so headed home. ;)

Excellent day, 2-11 was running really well, just need the big downforce rear wing!

Rob

2 black flags in a day, at this rate you'll start to give us 2-11 drivers the same reputation as the Radical boys!! ;)

lol

Yeah, but it was Bedford.. micky mouse circuit. Never done it before, unlikely I'll do it again.

Have booked Donny on Nov 9th (sunday).. great track!

Only a few spaces left.. mention openpitlane and you'll get it for

Yeah, but it was Bedford.. micky mouse circuit. Never done it before, unlikely I'll do it again.

I agree it's no Brands GP, however, it is one of the few circuits (if only?) in the UK where you can feel relatively safe exploring the limits of the car due to the huge run offs. For that reason, I go there a lot. Good place to learn.

g

• 2 months later...

I know this topic has been dormant for a while but I had to wait untill I had a chance to get out onto a proper circuit before entering the fray.

This past weekend I had a chance to run for two full days on a 2.9 mile fulll course circuit. prior to this I had only been out on my local 1.3 mile practice track which did not offer the opportunity to let the car stretch it's legs. Also it did not allow me to get a taste of the cars full potential. I'll save that part for another time and subject posting.

To the point, the car is equipped with the Lotus stage 1 system and along with evertyone else at the track we were constantly asking, "is it running?"

It is too dang quiet. there is a lot to be said for running in stealth mode but I find it difficult to tell what the engine is doing when I cannot hear it. Being tall in the saddle it is hard for me to see the red shift light and during the busy times I rely more on engine note than the tach. Once I know where redline is I do not need to watch the gauge.

With the current system I cannot do this. I'll admit that by the end of the two days I was getting better at watching the tach, but when I found myself in the twisties, dicing it up with other cars, watching the tach became impossible. As a result the rev limiter was visited frequently.

I am considering the 2bular system but wanted to see if there was any feedback available on which type worked best with the car. There are 4 types available, 4", 6", 7", 8". Since noise levels are not critical at the venues I am currently running I am more interested on which one will work the best with the car. I am leaning towards the 4" primarily because of the weight differential in comparrison with the Lotus Stage 1. 10+ pounds versus 20 something of the Stage 1.

Any thoughts from those who have trekked this path?

Oh hell, I can't wait, during the course of two days and 8 20 minute sessions I was passed by no one. I passed the entire group and was running up against Vettes, Vipers, Porsces, Exige S types, and a couple of Ferraris. I did not pass the Ferraris, but I did blow by a track prepped, slick shod, 700h.p. GT3 class Corvette.......twice. :blink: The Ferraris will be on the plate next time as driver skills improve.

Have the full GT3 system on mine with 8in back box, 4-2-1 exhaust manifold and ceramic de cat pipe. The quality of the workmanship is second to none and sounds great with plenty of pops and bangs on the overrun.

I went for the 8 inch in view of the more and more draconian noise restrictions at UK circuits but if that not an issue for you go for the 4 inch.

If you go this route you need to be patient with Jim at 2bular as is a difficult man to get hold of, but I can assure you the wait is worth it.

Paul

Edited by pgn340r

I would love to fit Jim's full system. I was waiting until the warrenty ran out, but now I am going racing and can't change it.

One day I will have it on the 2-11.

Think I am going to fit one of his new Ti rear boxes. MMMMMMMMMMMM

Scotty C

Here for a good time, not a long time

To the point, the car is equipped with the Lotus stage 1 system and along with evertyone else at the track we were constantly asking, "is it running?"

It is too dang quiet. there is a lot to be said for running in stealth mode but I find it difficult to tell what the engine is doing when I cannot hear it. Being tall in the saddle it is hard for me to see the red shift light and during the busy times I rely more on engine note than the tach. Once I know where redline is I do not need to watch the gauge.

With the current system I cannot do this. I'll admit that by the end of the two days I was getting better at watching the tach, but when I found myself in the twisties, dicing it up with other cars, watching the tach became impossible. As a result the rev limiter was visited frequently.

Al,

You have the very big box and you can not hear that one. I think the stage 1 is much louder than what you have. I think the one I have is the stage 1 and I have no problem hearing it. I also have the same problem as you in that I can not see the tach, I just change gear by sound.

Change the box and you will be fine. Keep the old one for when you have to go to a track that has strict noise limits like Laguna Seca.

Patrick

Patrick,

By "change the box" are you referring to the can? Since there is no way to determine exactly what is on the car I asked the dealership and that was their guess. How's them apples? The exhaust can is a large unit indeed. your last line is exactly what I have in mind.

Al

I've got the original exhaust on my car (#23) and this I believe was later rebranded as the stage 1.

I have absolutely no problems hearing the engine even with crash helmet on.

I have driven a standard new car (with the insect mirrors) and it sounded like a washing machine with a lot of trouble trying to gauge the shift point from noise alone.

He's making them in Ti ? So far have only seen it offered in SS. Wonder how much less weight and more cost? the 4" SS is $675 stateside. Anyone know?

Oop's, you didn't hear that from me.

Not to sure what he's up too, but he has talked about it for a while and I think its not far away.

Here for a good time, not a long time

Patrick,

By "change the box" are you referring to the can? Since there is no way to determine exactly what is on the car I asked the dealership and that was their guess. How's them apples? The exhaust can is a large unit indeed. your last line is exactly what I have in mind.

Al

Al,

Our (US) cars appear to have come with the same basic muffler can that's standard on the Exige S modified with an "above-the diffuser" exit pipe or so it seems based upon my side to side comparison of the two. :(

Stock is very quiet and weighs a lot on the US cars. I'm running the Larini 6" on the 2Eleven and the 2Bular 6x18" on the Cup car. Both mufflers sound great and are quality pieces. I've received many comments on how good the car sounds from spectators at the track.

Also, do not change the exhaust manifold (headers) unless you can get the car re-tuned (ECU re-mapped). Based upon many dyno sessions with headers on Exige S cars, all after market headers will result in the car running dangerously lean...the stock ECU program is not able to add enough fuel to deal with the headers. A/F maps need to be altered.

Edited by Jack

To my knowledge the standard exhaust can be recognized by the end pipe wich is smoothly rounded at the end. I makes the car sound like a knitting machine....a fast one :)

The stage 1 has an open end with no roundings and sound a lot better and louder, with some additional bangs and pops :(

pic 1+2 = standard

pic 3 = stage 1

post-108-1233161372_thumb.jpg

post-108-1233161392_thumb.jpg

post-108-1233161421_thumb.jpg

Patrick,

Al

Yes, change the can.

You have the not so loud one on your car. You do not have the stage 1.