free hit
counters
Error in Owners Manual - Tyre sizes - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I was looking to source some new tyres so flicked to the technical details page in the owners manual to make sure I would get the right sizes.

In the manual it says the fronts are 195x60x16 whereas the tyres fitted are 195x50x16. I am assuming that the manual is wrong. :D

Page 114 of Owners Manual (forgot I had the memory stick with the manuals)

Saving up for a sequential gearbox

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul,

Just driving to work, caught on camera.

Hey Scott,

Drop me an email on the tank situation.

Many thanks

Paul

I was looking to source some new tyres so flicked to the technical details page in the owners manual to make sure I would get the right sizes.

In the manual it says the fronts are 195x60x16 whereas the tyres fitted are 195x50x16. I am assuming that the manual is wrong. :D

Page 114 of Owners Manual (forgot I had the memory stick with the manuals)

You must have a rogue manual/memeory stick as mine says 195x50x16. Maybe after the first 25 Lotus Sport built cars, like mine, when they went to the ordinary Lotus production line ,they decided to change the tyre size and forgot yours. Probably something to do with the extra weight of your larger wing mirrors!! ( We could start a snobbery issue here with how big are your mirrors!!)

P

P

Edited by pgn340r
Probably something to do with the extra weight of your larger wing mirrors!!

:D:lol:

They may be bigger but I don't need any tools to adjust them (and they don't vibrate!!)

Hmmm maybe I should be hassling Scott to replace my two front tyres with ones the right size - free of charge of course :lol:

:D:lol:

They may be bigger but I don't need any tools to adjust them (and they don't vibrate!!)

Hmmm maybe I should be hassling Scott to replace my two front tyres with ones the right size - free of charge of course :lol:

Actually its the same method of adjustment as the rear view mirror, admittedly inferior to your obviously electrically adjustable ones but at least when I get stopped by the police I have an excuse that I didn't see them as they were just a blur in my mirrors :lol:

You should dfinately hassle Scott as he appears to do nothing but sit in his air conditioned office sipping coffee and eating Mars Bars :P

Derrick/Paul,

I was just about to order a new set of tyres when I saw this string (hadn't looked at it before) and double-checked. Like Derrick (my car is no.042) I have 195/50s but a manual that says 195/60s. I think it must be an error in the manual - the people I've ordered from don't list any Yokohama tyre at 195/60 and neither does Yokohama's own web-site!

Andrew

I've just spoken with Nick Adams and the correct tyre sizes should be:

Front - 195/50/16

Rear - 225/45/17

You should also be using the specially designed tyres for the 2Eleven which have LTS embossed on the sidewall. They are the same price as normal 48's but are of a different construction and very different compound and were specifically designed by Lotus for the 2Eleven.

The reason for this is that the 2Eleven sees about 150kg per tyre on the fronts as the car is so light and normal 48's are designed to see 300-350kgs so you will be losing a lot of performance with non-standard 2Eleven tyres.

The manual will be corrected if it has an error!

HTH :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

That is the owners manual Paul.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

You should also be using the specially designed tyres for the 2Eleven which have LTS embossed on the sidewall. They are the same price as normal 48's but are of a different construction and very different compound and were specifically designed by Lotus for the 2Eleven.

Are the 'LTS' really 2-eleven specific? I thought they were just Lotus specific. I'm sure I used to ahve 'LTS' 48's on my Exige.

g

That was info from Nick Adams and he said that they spent a lot of time getting the tyre construction and compound right for the 2Eleven, so I'd say that they are 2Eleven specific.

Evora NA

I've just spoken with Nick Adams and the correct tyre sizes should be:

Front - 195/50/16

Rear - 225/45/17

The reason for this is that the 2Eleven sees about 150kg per tyre on the fronts as the car is so light and normal 48's are designed to see 300-350kgs so you will be losing a lot of performance with non-standard 2Eleven tyres.

The manual will be corrected if it has an error!

HTH :lol:

Thanks Bibs - excellent info.

I was heading towards replacing the tyres with exactly what was originally fitted (rather than rely on the manual) as the documentation sometimes lags behind design changes, but it very nice to have it confirmed.

So far, I have been more than happy with the level of grip from the "standard" A048 LTS tyres so see no reason to change specification. Of course I tiptoe round the track anyway so could probably get away with some Michelin Pilots that would last 100,000 miles :D

Shame though, I was looking forward to getting two new front tyres free from Scott :lol: