free hit
counters
slicks? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried them on the 2-11? Can the car take the stress?

I'm thinking forward to a time when I might tow the car to trackdays, with a set of wets and slicks.

g

In the owners' manual they talk about suspension/tracking set ups when using slicks so I guess providing you make the necessary adjustments should be OK.

Unless your racing the car not sure there will be much point at track days, the Yokohamas are pretty much cut slicks, plus the very high wear rate that slick tyres have.

P

Edited by pgn340r
Unless your racing the car not sure there will be much point at track days, the Yokohamas are pretty much cut slicks, plus the very high wear rate that slick tyres have.

P

Someone I know, a regular at Bedford, has a great plan. He buys part worn slicks from, I think, a Porsche race series (they only use the tyres for one race), for his CSL. They cost him

Someone I know, a regular at Bedford, has a great plan. He buys part worn slicks from, I think, a Porsche race series (they only use the tyres for one race), for his CSL. They cost him
I think for this chap it's more about cost (not his ego, far from it). He is sideways a lot at Bedford (that's what CSL's and Bedford are for!) and ruins a set of tyres on a hot track day. The slicks are cheaper than Michelin Pilot Sport Cups by a factor of 10.

g

Having gone through a number of Cups myself when I ran a GT3 RS I know exactly what he means. (

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It's one of those "it depends"

the main factor is the compound choice rather than the tyre design.

Track based tyres (like the yoko 48's for example) are designed to last a lot longer than pure slicks so run a harder compound. This makes the tyres more durable at the expense of ultimate grip. It also makes them less sensitive to heat cycles and aging but these do take their toll just a bit slower.

Slicks are designed to operate at higher temperatures and a much softer compound so the effects of heat cycles are more noticable. I wouldn't say one cycle would kill a slick - in most cases a lightly used slick can be better than a brand new one as the heat cycle and scrubbing removes some of the left overs of manufacturing the tyre.

Again it depends on the compound - you'd probably want to scrub/heat cycle a hard slick more than you would a super soft.

I have recently raced in my 2-11 with slicks. The tyres are Dunlops, but were of a reasonably hard compound ,actually imported for running on the Holden V8's and these cars are twice the weight of mine.

The tyres took about three laps to get any sort of heat into them, but once they were warm they certainly outperformed my A048's.

The most noticable difference was under braking, I have the BIG brakes fitted and the ABS is very busy with the standard tyres, but not with the slicks. I dropped approx 2 secs off my best time on my local track.

Paul