free hit
counters
Higher screen - Body/Aero/Other (including track set up info) - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Picked up my 2-11 on saturday and really enjoying it other than I have the wear a helmet at any decent speed. I did a few experiments by holding my hand above the screen at 80 mph ish and it reduced the wind rush dramatically. Does anyone know anyone who has made or can make a 6 inch higher screen?

Please help as I am driving to The Ring this saturday!

Jack

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And wouldn't it invalidate the SVA ?

I thought the screen couldn't be any higher without need to have wipers and demister in order to be road legal (this may be UK only of course)

Technically speaking that's why the screen was that height, however once car is SVA approved, can't see anyone ever picking that up and you could always replace with the original come MOT time although I don't believe that is something that is even part of an MOT. The same applies to the Track rear wing and front spoiler of course.

P

• 1 month later...

..I was just having a look at the same product (on the net)) during the we.

Usually the products they are doing are really well done.

I got some of them for a bike.

Pls keep us informed when you goi it...

Womdering is the matal par would not be an annoying thinsg just in front of your eyes...

Tam fron his Blackberry ;-))

Not sure that it would stay on without modification, especially bearing in mind you are generating a lot more g force than on a bike. Is it going to work anyway considering is hasbeen designed for a specific bike set up?

Plus think it looks damn ugly.

P

Not sure that it would stay on without modification, especially bearing in mind you are generating a lot more g force than on a bike. Is it going to work anyway considering is hasbeen designed for a specific bike set up?

Plus think it looks damn ugly.

P

They do have an "universal" type also...

Scotty if you friendshas one whnot totry..

Pls keep us informed...

Perso this WE I will "Stick" an 2,5 cm extension on my existing one...just to see the effect..

Bregards

Tam

Scotty,

Just curious have you driven a 2eleven yet? If you haven't why not try the car first. If you have and it is a percieved problem why would you by one? The car after all is a track day car not a Grand Tourer.

Of course the ultimate solution is to buy a Boxster :D (no offence)

P

Paul

Not driven the 2-11 yet.

I have had a 340r for over 4 years and got it Honda’ed in over a year ago. Really love it and there’s not much on track that gives it a hard time.

I have sent a lot of time & money on the 340r thinking it was a car for life.

I do approx 10-12k miles per year on road runs, touring and track days, not as many track days as I would like but a lot of that is down to time and money and also living in Aberdeen. I must admit the only thing that has put me off the 2-11 is the lack of windscreen as I do a lot of road miles and really don’t want to have to wear a helmet all the time.

I have been struggling with the fact that the 340r is a great car and is the 2-11 worth the extra

Here for a good time, not a long time

Slightly bemused here ref Scottys post. You've ordered a 2-11 but not test driven one if I read it correctly. You do a lot of road miles and are worried about the lack of a screen.

I have a funny feeling you're going to be disappointed.......

How tall are you? I'm 5ft4" and buffeting isn't really a problem - however if you're much taller you are going to have to wear a helmet - fact. If you don't fancy that, have you ordered the wrong car?

I went from Yorkshire to the ring and back and ditched the helmet after an hour. I found Oakleys fine, but did get pelted every now and again with debris. Just stay a little distance away from the car in front on the autobahns and dont follow a noble! Most of the flies/pebbles etc go over your head, but when they do hit it just feels like a needle prick. I'd rather have that than a 10 hour drive with a car helmet on. I'm sure a bike helmet would be more comfortable for a trip like that.

.....Not so sure about ...he took the wrong car... I m 182 cm and really enjoyed my 340 ...and the 2-11 also...i do not see a problem if someone wants to hear the motor and not having his head "helemeted" or ripped off...

Even if we are not the same league like formula 1.drivers ( in my case thousand of miles from...) We have to be aware of the fact that aerodynamic is really important...not only for the performance but in our ,my, case for the pure pleasure...

Believe I m really founf of Lotus....crazy about lughy is right ...but here they missed a point...

Cheers

Tam

Scotty,

Going to have to agree with Jo on this one. You may find the car too compromised (as any car without doors/roof etc is!) for the about of road miles that you do.

However, despite mas 3200 comments ( they grow them hardy up north obviously) you will find that driving over 70mph for long periods without a helmet very tiring and sunglasses aren't an option at night.

Personally I don't have any issues with wearing a helment for longer drives, after all motorcyclyists do, conversation is impossible at speed any way and the engine note is hardly up there with a Ferrari.

If you can live with the compromises, it's a fantastic car don't be put off the first time you drive at speed!

Paul

For what it's worth, I go with helmet on the motorway, taking it off when you hit a jam, Oakleys and a beanie in the sun on slower roads, and Wiley X with clear lenses and a beanie at night on slow roads.

I think I am going to swap the full helmet out for a scooter helmet. Lighter, and has a full face visor, but not chin bar (if you see what I mean!). Nice compromise for full face protection. EG Arai SZ-RAM.

g

Arai_Sz_RAM_3_Aluminum_Helmets.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I drove to The Ring in mine and my neck muscles are now consierably stronger! I'm 6'4" and a helmet is a must. Like Gavin I wip it off in traffic. As a matter of interest, max speedo reading was 155 and over 135 (quite a lot of the trip) the wing mirrors fold back! Not ideal.

Still searching for that high screen

Personally I don't have any issues with wearing a helment for longer drives, after all motorcyclyists do, conversation is impossible at speed any way and the engine note is hardly up there with a Ferrari.

Agree wholeheartedly with Paul - I have fitted an intercom (Stilo) so that I can hear the screams from the passenger seat.

Saving up for a sequential gearbox