free hit
counters
Brake issues - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Another post-it for the aeroscreen "Don't apply brakes whilst airborne"

;) How many are there already?!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info, Bibs. This info will be of great interest to my fellow yanks. We've been dealing with this issue for more than 2 years and the dealers here have never offered us a proper explanation. If fact, a dealer is the one espousing the lack of vacuum theory and has been experimenting with an added vacuum canister. My solution has been to drive around the issue and modify my braking for the particular corner where the issue surfaces (in this case, avoid late braking).

The brake symptoms that I encountered were as Nick described....brake pedal became rock hard, pedal feel changed dramatically and gave the impression that the brakes were not working properly, but greatly increased pedal effort will in fact slow the car. It just catches you off guard the first few time it happens. Perhaps a different abs algorithm would be nice when, and if, the braking system ever gets revised. I've done lots of tracking at the same tracks using the same same driving style and have never encountered the issue in either my 996 GT2 or 997 GT3. For the record, I much prefer to track the Lotus over those boat-like P-cars. ;)

Btw, I don't left foot brake and always try to be smooth in my inputs, whether it be braking, shifting or acceleration, etc. Besides, everyone always over uses the brakes on the Lotus. :(

Please also thank Nick for the great explanation.

Edited by Jack

I will do Jack and tell your other American 2Eleven owners to head onto this site and say hello!

To be fair, your dealer should be speaking to Lotus rather than 2nd guessing at the problem and they'd have had a reply. I'm glad this explanation clears the issue up and for me it highlights the attention to detail than Lotus put into this car making it such a track friendly offering. On the whole people didn't know this system existed but have been pleased that they've not been swapping ends under heavy braking, it's all good ;)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

This reply is the same as I had direct from Lotus a month or so back, and I really appreciate the time they take to write long replies like the one they have.

I asked if I should post it for others to see and had no reply. Been v busy since, so hadn't followed up.

I think it is difficult to argue with technically what's happening, however, I agree with Jack, maybe it's time for a revised algorithm. I, like him, have never had this issue on other cars. I think there is a time for driver aids (eg ABS), but this one feels a bit too binary. The problem is, whether you know about it or not, at the time it happens it usually catches you off guard. Because the effect is so un-subtle (compared to say Lotus ABS) your split second reaction is usually going to unsettle the car, thereby negating any benefit of the 'failsafe' in the first place. 'Lift off and try again' doesn't really cut it.

I would rather they left the thing off. The car is pretty neutral, and progressive, is it really going to spin off violently?

I really really hate that feeling on a track where you just don't trust what the car is going to do mechanically. The annoyance is that the 2-Eleven is generally so sorted.

g