free hit
counters
Not Yokohama heresy - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Talking with a friendly trackside tyre provider yesterday, he muttered heresy into my ears.

He talked about not fitting Yokohamas to a 2-Eleven and fitting other makes of tyre. He was especially praising the Toyo 888's and some American racing tyres (whose name I forget).

What are the views of the more experienced members of the forum about other tyres? Has anybody tried any differents makes?

Saving up for a sequential gearbox

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Toyo tyres, but then I drive an Esprit so I'm not sure if my experiences would be relevant.

One thing to bear in mind when selecting tyres is the tyre loading. The 2Eleven only has 150kgs per front wheel which is very light so if you're looking to move away from the tyres that were specifically designed for the car, double check that the alternative is suitable.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The 2Eleven only has 150kgs per front wheel which is very light ...

I was talking with a Caterham driver yesterday who has just moved to 888s and was very pleased with the grip levels - I would have thought that a Caterham had lower wheel loadings, given its lower weight

I was talking with a Caterham driver yesterday who has just moved to 888s and was very pleased with the grip levels - I would have thought that a Caterham had lower wheel loadings, given its lower weight

I would tend to agree. If you had less weight over the contact patch, I would presume you deal with it by using a stickier compound, and 888s are nice and sticky.

There is a lot of camber on the 2-Eleven, but the 888s get put on CSLs and GT3s with tons of camber, and lots of loading, so I suspect the tyre wall could cope with a 2-Eleven.

I suspect Lotus will not tell us to go buy 888s!! ;)

g

I would tend to agree. If you had less weight over the contact patch, I would presume you deal with it by using a stickier compound, and 888s are nice and sticky.

There is a lot of camber on the 2-Eleven, but the 888s get put on CSLs and GT3s with tons of camber, and lots of loading, so I suspect the tyre wall could cope with a 2-Eleven.

I suspect Lotus will not tell us to go buy 888s!! ;)

g

A lot of the Porsche GT3 boys ( me included) have used the Toyo's. Not because they are the ulitmate tyre(because thay are not) but mainly because they offer 90% of the performance of Goodyear Cups at 50% of the price with very good tyre wear rates too.

Have anybody used them on Elise/Exige variants and how do they compare in performance and cost verus the Yokos?

After the Cups for the Porsche the Yokohamas seem pretty cheap in comparision and personally won't swap unles there is a definate benefit.

P

Edited by pgn340r
After the Cups for the Porsche the Yokohamas seem pretty cheap in comparision and personally won't swap unles there is a definate benefit.

I think you hit the nail on the head. If someone finds out price, and someone could test them for us all ;) , we could work out the cost / benefit. Or maybe a free set from a Yoko rep. to try to convinve us all!!

g

Talking with a friendly trackside tyre provider yesterday, he muttered heresy into my ears.

He talked about not fitting Yokohamas to a 2-Eleven and fitting other makes of tyre. He was especially praising the Toyo 888's and some American racing tyres (whose name I forget).

What are the views of the more experienced members of the forum about other tyres? Has anybody tried any differents makes?

The other American brand..is it Hoosier?? These tyres are very good and well priced, I have used them extensively on other cars, however they dont do sizes that suit the 2-11.

In another thread I here I praised the Dunlop Formula R's which I now have on my 2-11. They are slightly wider than stock 205 front and 245 rears. They are a lot softer than the Yokohamas, therefore come up to temperature earlier.

Hoosier it was - I am surprised that he was trying to talk me into buying a set if they don't do them in the right sizes though. And to think he was suggesting these because he couldn't supply the A048 in LTS spec!

I know that the Hoosiers are road legal in the States but not in the UK (they are after all only a slick with a single groove round the middle!).

Whilst nowhere near the standards of you guys, I have had no problems getting the A048s up to temperature in the dry - a lap of hard braking and lots of wheel turning seems to do the trick for me. Admit they are a nightmare in the wet and I don't have enough confidence in them to get them/keep them up to temperature.

What changes did you make to the geo settings to correct for the wider front tyres?

My experience with the Hoosiers were with a previous Mallock style sports racing car, they were exceptional. I had both Wets and slicks.

I would like to make a correction on my earlier comment about sizes. Hoosier DO make a DOT tyre to suit the 2-11. ie 16"/17"..however I wanted slicks and they dont make 17", the largest being 16". www.hoosiertires.com

Since I fitted 205/16 Dunlops Formula 'R"s to my 2-11, the only difference I experienced was slightly slower "turn in" -this can easily be compensated for. Im going to experiment with a little more negative camber to see if this make a difference, but there is no sign of any understeer. The larger 245 rears certainly have more grip.

Hoosier do make an extra sticky DOT approved tyre so I have ordered a set to check out how good they really are.

I will report back after I have tested them. Delivery is ex US in about 6 weeks.

This will be the 5th set of tyres for the 2-11.

Only 5 sets you are obviously not trying hard enough. :D

Do you have a separate set of wheels to run the slicks on? Dynamag make a realy nice carbon fibre rim set, which only the cost of prevents me from getting.

Btw what pressures are you running your slicks on?

P