free hit
counters
Off to look at a 2-eleven - 2-Eleven Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Off to look at a 2-eleven

ads_green

Hi all,

I'm off to look at a 2-eleven this week and am very tempted - just wondering if people have any pointers or things to definately look at. It's very recent (May 2008 build) and has the updated wing mirror mounts (diagonal rather than upright).

Also, I've posted on selec about issues with rain on the cabin - how good is the interior for dealing with the (innevitable) shower? The car I'm looking at is launch spec with the yellow launch spec seats. Am hoping that they are able to cope with getting soaked - One person did say about having velcro attachable cushions which makes sense. How does the dash and instrument cluster hold up to getting wet?

I've seen some various posts over the years about the details of the warranty of 2-elevens - can anybody say for sure how it works with these cars? (I've had cars from LSP before so know I need to ask about it!)

Thanks,

Ads

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dash etc is fine - now worries at all.

It was me ref the seats. I also have some cheap removable covers which help. The car can cope with getting soaked - mine now has been full of snow, rain and been baked in the sun Spain and still looks as good as new.

Warranty is more limited than road going cars and for 12 months - speak to your dealer for the full details. Any timed events and it is null and void.

I presume this is a second hand car you are looking at? First one I've come across apart from an ex demo car a while ago.

Adam - With a car that new I don't think there will be any pointers as there hasn't been much chance for any problems to develop on the car. As a whole, there are very few problems with the car and any would have most probably been dealt with by the owner or dealer under warranty.

Jo, Christopher Neil have one for sale, poss ex demo and there's a ford dealer (!) in Oxted with a 1,500 mile car on the forecourt.

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on ;)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I'm off to look at the Oxted one. I did try the Christopher Neil's one but they offered a laughable trade in with no scope for negotiaion. Considering the CN one is pre-2008 mods I'd have thought they would be more open (and they have started reducing the price) but hey... what can you do. Noticed that they have dropped the price more than once.

One of the Ford sales persons is a Lotus fan and elise owner and quite enthusiastic - ended up chatting lotus for quite a while.

Jo - you mentioned (I think iot was you) that you used a halford dupont external cover - what size di you go for? I'm guessing the small should do it but at 80 quid want to make sure ;)

There's a yellow S1 in the pics, I guess that's his! ;)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Considering the CN one is pre-2008 mods I'd have thought they would be more open (and they have started reducing the price) but hey... what can you do. Noticed that they have dropped the price more than once.

The pre 2008 cars ( the first 50 anyway) were built by LotusSport themselves before building them was changed to Lotus production line, so IMHO I think they may have a greater resale value .

Paul

Edited by pgn340r

The pre 2008 cars ( the first 50 anyway) were built by LotusSport themselves before building them was changed to Lotus production line, so IMHO I think they may have a greater resale value .

My last one was from LSP and I had to do alot of remedial work!

(the wiring loom was shocking, sensors were not located properly, throttle pedal was out by miles, throttle bodies not balanced, steering rack was loose and as for the throttle cable mounting and routing... it caused the cable to snap within 4k miles!)

Was also off the road for about 8 weeks with an ECU mapping problem too causing misfire protection to trip.

Loved the car and was sorry to see it go but I did swear to mysel that I'd not do it again ;)

My last one was from LSP and I had to do alot of remedial work!

(the wiring loom was shocking, sensors were not located properly, throttle pedal was out by miles, throttle bodies not balanced, steering rack was loose and as for the throttle cable mounting and routing... it caused the cable to snap within 4k miles!)

Was also off the road for about 8 weeks with an ECU mapping problem too causing misfire protection to trip.

Loved the car and was sorry to see it go but I did swear to mysel that I'd not do it again ;)

Then I guess you have answered your own question.

P

Had the drive on friday - have to say (in short) a stunning car.

I've ran Elise's for years now (the last 12 months the first time in ages been elise-less) with my last one a Series 2 Sport 190. Definately two completely different cars - I used to love the peaky nature of the tuned-to-within-an-inch K series but the shove from the 2-11 engine is non-stop from low down to the limiter. Considering the same tyres, mechanical grip on the 2-11 is much higher with a faster steering (made me think it has a faster rack). Even over crappy raod surfaces it wouldn't be provoked.

The area I was concerned with was the brakes - my old s2 was last of the K's and so had the non-servo'd brakes. The servo asistance on the 111r's was "ok" but still a vague. Lotus do seem to have sorted it out as the pedal had good feel and quite natural to heel-n-toe whilst still getting the most out of the brakes.

Just putting all the things together as I'm really interested - my only other question now... How much are the Tonneau covers? ;)

Aha - found them

Oh no!

Thats a real shame - the car was in stunning condition and obviously very pampered and looked after. Is it terminal damage?

I no I've been too-ing and fro-ing about it and I think somebody did mention that another person was interested. Wonder if it was the test drive or being taken back to the owner. Either way not a call I'd like to have made.

Am a bit dissappointed (but I guess nowhere near as dissappointed as the owner) - had finally sold it to myself as a good thing to do.

Not terminal but expensive would be my guess.

Wouldn't cost you that much more to buy a brand new one and at least you know what's happened to it that way?

Last week at Brands a chap was asking if mine was for sale as he was after a second hand deal. I suspect if any come up they won't hang around and will still fetch a good price, and you'll have to be quick!

Agreed - the biggest concern I'd have with a 2nd hand 211 would be it's history and warranty. I expect the cars to spend time on track and it's unreasonable to say otherwise. Properly looked after I don't have a problem with it.

Gonna have a word with B&C and weigh up the options. Veering towards a new one to be honest.

Yeah - knew about the pax seat. I used to take the one out of mine quite a bit (no choice when the throttle cable keeps snapping!) and didn't think it too much of a big deal. Guessing it's the same mounting with 4 allen keys in stupidly difficult to get at places ;)

Still not decided yet - Oxted Ford don't know anything about any damage though. Are sure it's the same one?

Just confirmed - it is the same one. Everybody ok but front wheel off with possible chassis damage.