free hit
counters
hi all - Introductions - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

hi all

alatif

hello everyone,

i am so glad i joined up to this forum. it has been an invaluable source of info. about 2 weeks ago i went to christopher neils to test drive a 211. i liked the car straight away. however there seem to be a few issues such as fuel gauge, fuel filler pipe, oil starvation if running slicks etc. at the moment i run a very heavily modified Evo 8 which costs a small fortune to run especially the amount of trackdays that i do in a year. hence why i am now selling it. although it is quite possibly the worst time to sell. the question that i really would love some feedback on is im sure you guys must have looked at other vehicles before purchasing a 211. the car i am going to do as much research on as poss is a radical sr3 with the 1500cc engine. am due to goto their factory in Peterborough in the next few weeks.it costs roughly the same about 45k for a decent spec. in full road trim. have any of you guys had any experience of running one or know someone who has one.

Regards Amer

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome,

I'm not sure but I believe the Christopher Neils' 211 has been sold (well its no longer being advertised).

If you are concerned with running costs then a radical is most definately not the way to go. A radical is essentially a race car with road legal lights - and running costs to match. The engines are comparatively fragile (being tuned bike engines shoving twice or more what they were designed for) and require frequent rebuilds. The sequential box's have their own service schedule and again don't be surprised if you need to rebuild it now and then. I also found them to be too quick for a normal trackday - you get stuck behind pretty much everything and in a whole day you may only get a handful of clear laps. Forget them as a road car - the radical is god awful on the sorry excuse we have for a road network. If you can't trailer it then seriously forget it. Finally, if you're not used to "proper" downforce then you're on a big (sometimes fun sometimes scary) learning curve as the dynamics are nothing like other cars - even those with token downforce like the 211/Exige.

The 211 is a different beast - it's chassis is basically the same as the S1 elise and has as reliable engine as you are going to find. Unlike the radical the engine was designed to be used in heavier cars like the Toyota Celica so in an Elise derivative it's underworked. Everything else is pretty standard (gearbox, drivetrain etc) and proven in other cars. Running costs are then limited to the consumables (brakes, tyres etc) and the only other point I would say is to service the car as normal but treat 1 track mile to 3 road although it's worth changing the oil as often as you can if you track it (I used to do no more than 2 track days on one set of oil). Unlike the Radical the 211 is positively a joy to drive on the road - I had a long test drive and found it more enjoyable than any of the Elise's I've owned including tuned motorsport ones.

The radical is a great car and certainly an experiance but you do need deep pockets and the right environment to use it. The 211 although slower is as much fun to drive as is setup perfectly (as you'd expect)

Ads

thx for ur input ads. rang dick lovett 2day but the 1 they had they had just sold. they dont hang around for long which is a good thing. went on the radical forum & i think ur pretty spot on with what u said. i knew in my heart the radical would need too much attention but i guess i just wanted someone to persuade me otherwise. ive not ruled out the xbow yet although at

Welcome to the forum Amer. Look forward to hearing about your new 2Eleven soon ;)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

thx for ur input ads. rang dick lovett 2day but the 1 they had they had just sold. they dont hang around for long which is a good thing.

Not sure but I think it had been there a couple months. It'd definately been reduced in price a couple of times.

went on the radical forum & i think ur pretty spot on with what u said. i knew in my heart the radical would need too much attention but i guess i just wanted someone to persuade me otherwise.

ive not ruled out the xbow yet although at

thx for the replies. in the 5 years of evo ownership ive spent at least 60k plus the purchase of the car at 30k. really the expense has been in 3 years since the 1st year it was largely standard & the last 9 months or so ive hardly used it. its had 2 600bhp forged rebuilds at 15k a pop, ohlins from aurok & set up, loads of carbon (roof, boot, bonnet, wing, rear diffuser etc), big brake kit - the list is endless. radical say that for trackday use its more like 90 hrs before a refresh, so lets say 75hrs for arguments sake. ive never spent more than 3 hrs actually driving in a full day on track, so there is id say at least 2 to 2.5 years worth of trackdays in the radical. a refresh is

If you're driving the radical to the track there's some more time to rack up there.

I've never seen a radical last a whole trackday without some under the bonnet tinkerings.

I've no idea of your background so apologies if I'm making any assumptions or causing offence(as this isn't my intent) but if you're going from a 600bhp Evo to a Radical then that is a fairly different and big leap to make. At least the 211 has ABS and adjustable traction control to help with the transition from Front engined - 4wd to mid mounted rwd.

I spent alot of time with a Evo 6 Extreme on track with slicks and it was pretty much untouchable and unspinable. Good fun in a raw speed kind of way but you could be pretty brutal with the controls and the trick diff's would sort everything out. I still say that point to point the evo is probably the fastest thing around.

The radical hasn't any get out of jail free cards and really is proper fast - they can lap most tracks faster than F3 cars and the SR3-Turbo nurburging record stood for a long time (only to be beaten by the SR8). If you have limited experience of mid-mounted rwd then I really would say to think really hard as at best you're not going to get the most out of the car and at worst possibly bend it.