free hit
counters
Tyre pressure on the move - cross posted from seloc - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Tyre pressure on the move - cross posted from seloc

Some of you may know/be aware of Chris Randall (Randy), multiple class winner in LOTRDC - I have with his permission cross posted this from seloc:

The best performance/track/safety mod I've seen for ages :-)

10% DISCOUNT NOW GUARANTEED

Last weekend, during the LOTRDC race at Croft, I tested the best little device I have seen for ages. The product is called 'TyreSure' and monitors, in real time, the pressure and temperature of your tyres and reports back via a small dashboard which can be wired in or plugged straight into your cigarette lighter socket. It will also warn you when the tyres temp/pressure have dropped outside pre-defined parameters.

So... whilst I was hunting down Walshy in the first race at Croft, being horribly aggressive with the throttle in an attempt to get by, I could see exactly how cooked my left rear tyre was and, as a result, knew that it had to be swapped to the other side of the car for the second race. Running this little gadget has been quite fascinating, watching what pressures your tyres are actually running whilst on the track and seeing the effect of heat soak when the car becomes stationary in the pit lane. It doesn't take long to correlate the pressure/temp of the tyre on track with the amount of grip you can feel it generating so helps you drive within the tyres limits, giving them extra life by keeping them in their correct condition. Gone are the days of coming into the pits and getting delayed information about your tyre's pressure via a manual gauge :up

Retail price for this unit is

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep Jo - ordered a unit plus a spare set of sensors - due to arrive Friday. Will fit them with the next set of new tyres (due after my track day next week)

Now does anybody know what the correct operating temperature for the A048 LTS compound tyres is? Ideally knowing the upper and lower values would help. The Tyresure sensors measure the temperature of the air in the tyres so will be a (delayed) average across the width.

Saving up for a sequential gearbox
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes Gavin they do - you need to put new valves in - I'm no tyre fitter but you could possibly do it be just easing the tyre away from the wheel, but probably easier to take off.

I'm also having another aux charging thing fitted where they go in the Elise/Exige, as it's too long for the lead to reach the one behind the seats. You could just fashion an extension lead though if you preferred.

Just to add to Jo's post - and you need to get the wheels balanced after fitting (the sensor is quite weighty).

I have run the power from the 4 way distribution box (IIRC we have the same one), which means I can turn it on and off from the comfort of the driving seat (use same power outlet/switch as data logger).

Del, the inside of yor car must now look like the command centre at Nasa. All those dials, wires, sensors and flashing lights.

Is there any room left for the driver or are you hoping to find a gadget to replace you as well ? ;)

Edited by pgn340r

I am hoping to stand safely in the pits whilst the car drives itself round - the ultimate in weight reduction. Plus all those displays gives me an excuse for going slowly - I was distracted by an erroneous warning indication.

Now where did I put that sat-nav system?

Now take this as constructive criticism Del, but I think you have been attacking this from the wrong way round. You should have bought a fully loaded 7 series BMW and put a 2eleven body on it ;)

Paul

Edited by pgn340r