free hit
counters
Aero pack for Road cars - Body/Aero/Other (including track set up info) - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Was initially told that just fitting the rear wing, but with standard splitter was a nono for the car. I would have a problem with the massive front upgrade splitter getting on and off my drive.

Yesterday, at Silverstone was having a good chat to the Lotus race team, that is running a 2-11 in FiA GT4, their car runs a massive rear wing, but standard front splitter. They reckon that the big splitter creates to much oversteer, and that using the smaller splitter and adjusting suspension, gives the best handling results.

Interesting, as I can now add the rear wing to get the desired downforce, without compromising road usage.

Thoughts.... ;)

Rob

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob,

This is an interesting comment by the race team. As noted by Jack, myself, and others in the forum, the car's weight distribution and standard suspension settings lend itself to oversteer, and we in the states have the aero pack as standard equipment.

I've also found that the car is very sensitive to correct tire pressure. This was recently confirmed to me by Nick Adams who said that any tire pressure of 30#'s or more (F&R) when hot, will cause the grip to degrade rapidly. The O/M calls for 24#'s/26#'s (F/R) and 28#'s (F&R) after five laps. On a recent cold morning, I set the pressure to 24/26 but after five laps and a considerable off-track spin, I found the tire pressures to have elevated to 32#'s. Reducing the tire pressure back to 29#'s made a considerable (positive) difference in the handling. Unfortunately, I was not able to get any tire temps during this track event. I hope to do so later this month which should aid in setting the car up.

Every driver has his/her preferences in the way they drive a car. I'm having difficulty in adjusting to the LTC but feel that it's in my best interest to get better times. I think there will be as many opinions about the correct set-up of the car as there are owners (including race teams). Adding splitter and wing size and wing angle only compounds the problem. Since few of us have crews or personal knowledge to dial in settings that will work to our absolute benefit, to say nothing of from track to track or varing track conditions, the best we can do is work with the suggested standard settings Lotus has given us as a base and then gradually work from there. Getting information from this forum may hasten the process, but not fine tune it. Ten years after racing my 23, suspension settings continue to be a frustrating work-in-progress!

Bill

Bill

Have a look at this thread http://www.2elevenforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=202

I got one of these and it is an excellent little gadget. Like you I find my tyre pressures absolutely crucial to safe and quick track navigation, and this can only help. I run mine at 1.6 front and 1.8 rear when hot, with standard splitter and wing, and find the car stable on those settings.

Cheers

jo

It was my 1st track outing with the car, so immediately bled off about 4psi all round prior to taking to the track, I did about 4 warm up laps of the circuit (GP track) then came back in and checked pressures. Rears were 30.. fronts bang on 28.. blead rears to 28. Then did another 6 laps at pace, then blead another 2psi of fronts and rears to get 28 all round.

Spoke to Lotus guys about dampers, their advice was to wind compression adjuster to full hard (full clockwise on remote canister) then back 4 clicks. Silverstone is like a pool table in smoothness. Did not play with rebound adjustment on bottom of shock.

Set Traction to 4 clicks from full off, this gave me some slight oversteer through club corner (long sweeping right hander 3rd/4th gear corner).

Brakes are epic.. no need for upgrade. ABS kicks in late, just prior to tyre lockup... perfect!

Car really is awesome tool. Have had everything from 997RS to Lambo Super L to racing a 997 cup car. Only the cup car compares in razor sharpness and pin point accuracy.

Rob

Jo and Rob,

Interesting comments, thanks.

Jo, your tire pressures are very interesting and considerably lower than what Lotus recommends. I would assume this is based on tire temps taken at the track or with the "tyresure monitor" (I've already e-mailed an inquiry!). These numbers are close to what I run on my 23 but those are bias tires. Reducing to those pressures would surely give the car more grip and take away some, if not all, of the oversteer tendency (to a point of creating understeer?).

Bill

After taking Donnelly out for a few laps at Snetterton, we came in and he said "I think your back left is to hard, go check your pressures".

Right enough it was 3 psi harder then the rest. Blew me away that did.

He said they should be 23 all round hot.

Scotty C

Here for a good time, not a long time

Bill

1.6 equates to 23 which is what Martin Donnelly recommended to Scott - though I confess to being unaware of that. I run it slightly higher at the rear as I find it more settled that way - just me and my driving style I guess. Yes it does reduce the tendency to oversteer - which is how I like it - a slight tendency to understeer is induced but is barely noticeable tbh.

In terms of grip - I have acres of it - it is what most passengers comment on - that and the precise turn in and braking. I have spun twice - once in the wet, and once when I lifted a touch too much on a notorious corner at Snetterton, and then tried to power out of the inevitable oversteer - let's just say I won't be trying that one again ;)

I suspect I muller my tyres more quickly than some, but that is a price I am happy to pay!

Soft? ;)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm running 11/13 to 13/15 on the 61. I guess I'm having a hard time getting into the mind set of running a course in the upper 20's. Thanks for the offerings here. I went out with the car as it came out of the box. As stated above, the car got seriously skittish as the tires warmed up. Even still tho, you should have seen the looks on the guys in the ford spec racersa as I came flying by :D . No telling what will happen when everything is finally sorted out and I can come to grips withy this cars abilities. Woo-hoo.