free hit
counters
who has a LSD on his car ? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

who has a LSD on his car ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bert,

According to Nick Adams the car handles better on the limiit without a LSD ( especially in high speed corners).

Having said that I notice that the GT4 car is fitted with LSD.

Paul in New Zealand has retro-fitted one and is undecided as to whether the expense is worth it.

So I guess you pays your money and takes your choice.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, I dont think the LSD is worth the expense. I raced in the weekend (with slicks) and I couldnt tell the difference in the handling.

I am now experiencing loud noises (clunks) from the car under extreme cornering and under very heavy braking...and I suspect it is the LSD. :D This is being investigated by the mechanic. I will keep the forum posted on this.

If do decide to fit an LSD..buy one from your local Toyota dealer. NOT Lotus.

Paul

From what I understand the toyota LSD is for a front wheel drive application and does not work well in a Lotus. I ran with a Exige S that had a Quaffi LSD installed and the owner said it made a big difference exiting tight corners. From the limited time I have run my 2-Eleven with the TC set at the 1 o'clock position I activated it exiting almost every corner. If you're spinning you are not accelerating.

Dan

Dan

Hi Dan,

I did purchase my LSD off Lotus..however its the same part number as the Toyota one. An LSD may make a big difference in tight corners, but my local track even the hairpin I take in third gear. Yes I also set my TC at the 1o'clock position.

Paul #28

I had an LSD on my old S2 Sport 190.

It does help masses in case of poor traction - rain for example. The classic case on the road was pulling out of T-Junction. The LSD gave that extra edge.

However on track it does make the car a little more undesteerer in some corners so horses for courses.

Need to be careful - if the traction control is engaging you may not always spin the inside wheel and it's possible you may just be putting to much power down to hard to quick. LSD won't help that :D

The loud clunks *can* (but not always) be normal. Should hear the one in my VXR8 - it's just the plates disengaging. You can solve this using LSD adjuster oil which allows you to tune the engagement and disengagement of the LSD somewhat. From all accounts it's very effective.

The GT4 may have one as the extra HP may make it more of a requirement. Personally I would see if you could try one first as it's alot of hassle for something you may not like.