free hit
counters
Oil catch can - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I had oil catch cans made for my 2-Eleven. Very simple bolt on. I used lightweight Russell braided hose so no chafing of anything

in the engine compartment. Thought you guys would like to see some pics of the install. I used some dress up fittings at the

engine for appearance. :blink:

post-222-1232472244_thumb.jpg

post-222-1232472264_thumb.jpg

post-222-1232472288_thumb.jpg

Dan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Under high sump pressure oil is vented via the breather back to the inlet tract, usually via the airbox. The catch tank prevents this as it's placed on the pipe from the crankcase breather and you can empty it every now and again. Oil in the intake isn't idea, it will reduce the octane of the fuel, drastically increase the chances of knock and due to it's poor burning properties will raise your exhaust gas temperature.

I think :blink:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Nicely done. care to make a second set :blink:

Al,

You can get the catch cans at http://www.saikoumichi.com/

Just tell them that you want the 2Eleven cans that Dan specified/ordered.......installation is up to you. :D

I used the original model they sold for the Elise/Exige with standard cheapo oil/fuel lines.

Dan is the "king of bling" and did a great job.... :)

Photo of my catch cans with unattractive highlights showing cans and hoses.

Under high sump pressure oil is vented via the breather back to the inlet tract, usually via the airbox. The catch tank prevents this as it's placed on the pipe from the crankcase breather and you can empty it every now and again. Oil in the intake isn't idea, it will reduce the octane of the fuel, drastically increase the chances of knock and due to it's poor burning properties will raise your exhaust gas temperature.

I think :D

Exactly....and to add to bibs' excellent explanation, it also prevents the intercooler from getting coated with oil and thereby becoming less efficient.

Jack,

A couple of questions :

How do you know when the catch tank needs emptying ? and how do you remove the tank to empty it ( it looks quite a tight fit ) ?

I'm not trying to pick holes, it looks like you have done a lovely job in such a small space. I am just trying to work out if it's one I could do !

They usually have a sight glass on the side to tell the level and there's a drain on the bottom :blink:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I'd say emtpy it when you change the oil. I'd be *very* surprised if a catch can that big could get full enough in that short space of time. Shouldn't be too hard to empty as you can reach that area from just taking the engine cover off. Or even easier if you remove the rear wheel and wheel arch liner.

Might be an idea to make the grills removeable - I'd been thinking about this for checking and charging the accusump.

In NA engine this really isn't a huge problem as the breather just feeds back into the intake to be combusted. the amounts you are talking about are tiny. The problem is that the 211 is directed to the throttle TB (like the NA car) which is before the supercharger and intercooler. So theres a high chance it'll just collect here. Not a huge issue in the supercharger but it will reduce the intercooler efficiency. Shame the pipes cant be redirected directly to the inlet manfold but I guess it's under pressure at that point so not a goer :blink:

There's a catch tank option now in the 2009 brochure.

Jack,

A couple of questions :

How do you know when the catch tank needs emptying ? and how do you remove the tank to empty it ( it looks quite a tight fit ) ?

I'm not trying to pick holes, it looks like you have done a lovely job in such a small space. I am just trying to work out if it's one I could do !

Adam pretty much covered it...easiest way to get to them is to remove the wheel and liner, as if you were servicing the air filter. This model does not have a "sight" glass, so we drain the cans at every oil change. I use these cans on my Cup255 and find that the they "catch" ~ 2-3 ounces of oil every 1000 track miles.

Dan,

Three questions.

1. Where does the third hose connect? Not to clear from the photo. It runs behind the coolant overflow bottle and I cannot see where it goes from there.

2. Can you clarify how you attached the cannisters? I like the out of the way position and set up.

3. Where did you source the Russell braided hoses from and how much hose was required?

Thanks gents for the clarifications and information, and time to bring it to the forum.

Al

Dan,

Three questions.

1. Where does the third hose connect? Not to clear from the photo. It runs behind the coolant overflow bottle and I cannot see where it goes from there.

2. Can you clarify how you attached the cannisters? I like the out of the way position and set up.

3. Where did you source the Russell braided hoses from and how much hose was required?

Thanks gents for the clarifications and information, and time to bring it to the forum.

Al

Al,

1. The 3rd hose connects to a 1/2 nipple behind the intercooler pipe on the throttle body.

2. There is a bracket built on the cans holding them together. Two 1/4 bolts hold the cans to the wing up-right. I drilled

through the up-right. I'll take a photo from the other side and post it so you can see what I did.

3. Russell Pro Classic hose.... http://russellperformance.com/mc/hose/main.shtml

I used tube seal hose ends. 10 ft is minimum length of hose to buy. I used #8 and #10 hose. If you look in the second

photo you can see I used a male to male union to join the Pro Classic hose to the one original hose that goes from the

manifold to the pcv valve. It's difficult to find a hose with with 1/2" end that reduces down to just under 3/8". It was simpler to just use a union. The Russell hose is very light and you can cut it with a razor knife. I used one wrap of black tape on the ends to keep them from fraying before clamping.

I may not be fast but at least I'll look good.... :blink:

Dan

• 7 months later...