free hit
counters
Honda powered 2-11 - 2-Eleven Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Honda powered 2-11

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No not heard anything but I guess it was only a matter of time. Looks like things are fairly close to the limits of the gearbox but I think the honda unit is heavier but able to go a little further.

I would guess it would be a little easier on a 211 as there appears to be lots more space in there.

Personally I'm more than happy - been out this morning and forgotten just how damn fast these little cars are.

only s2 exige I know of with a honda engine is the white one of Maidstones Sports Cars and that car never had a toyota engine in it as it started life as a rover powered s2 and had honda conversion and s2 exige bodywork panels attached..

never heard of 111r with a honda either. can you point to anywhere there are details? I.e who's doing the conversion. just out of curiosty if nothing else.

afaik people have looked at it but apparently too much hassle (hence why maidstones went the route they did).

pgn340r : "Agreed, that type of conversion only needed for people with egos bigger than talent"

I was thinking that english people were more fun ... I know that the Toy motor is quite enought for my talent. In fact this conversion will exist because of a miss understanding between MSC and me. But I have no regret. I think I will enjoy this car. The 2-11 is a very good car, very safe but it is tasteless (if you understand what I mean).

So the first 2-eleven type R, will have 380 HP without LSD, it's a GT4 paint one. I hope the gearbox will be enougth strong ... The sequentiel gearbox is an option if it broke.

I will tell you the result in several weeks. Sorry, I won't compare my both car each time on each track. But I think it will be interresting to see the different time on my usual tracks.

Has anybody here had a Ariel Atom or drive with AA on tracks ?

My aim is to have a very good trackday car with a good handling with the agressive engine of the Atom. Perhaps it is stupid. Of course the first thing to do to go faster is to learn driving. But is it necessary to spend its life making reasonable things ? :lol:

I just hope that MSC will be able to make something reliable.

Sorry for my english but I think that I'm better in english than you in french :lol:

Edited by Edika
Yes it is MSC.

And Ads - there are no Toyota cars out there which have been converted. Even Scuffers cba unless someone throws pots of money at him.

I've seen one definate 111r running a honda. I did think the s2 exige was a real one as thats what I was lead to believe when I saw it displayed.

Well I'll eat my hat... You must be completely bonkers!! Why destroy a perfectly good car when you admit you cant even drive it to the max with what it has already got??

Sorry but Lotus/Honda/Reliability are not 3 words you can usually put together..... Good luck my friend!!

Gav.

Ads, I'm not saying I don't believe you, if you think you have you must have, but you're the only Lotus person in the UK who has. Scuffers developed the main kit and he hasn't. Are you sure someone hasn't just swapped clams like on the Exige?

To the best of my knowledge, and this gets discussed ad nauseam on seloc, there are no converted Toyota based cars out there. The Exige was done to try and trick people into thinking it's possible.

Most of us are unable to drive to the max a simple 1-11 with a 120 PS rover engine ...

Compare the time you will do with the time of a professional driver on the same track the same day. He will be 2 ou 3 s better...

I make the conversion because I feel the 2-11 lack of torque and because UK is not in euro zone :lol: . My 2-11 type R will cost me less than my first 2-11 ! Do you follow the Atom 300 on trackdays ? I don't, nobody in France succeed in doing it. And I have a lot of friends in AA300 :lol:

About the reliability : I had no with the Toy engine last year! I had a lot of problems with my car one the 15 trackdays I make in 2008 :P . 3 times I had to change the compressor belt, I nearly lose a wheel because 2 of the 4 bolts were brocken, my accusump lose oil on my exhaust, brakes make strange vibrations when hot, the tank is never enought full ... I love this car but don't say it is perfect. I will perhaps keep both ...

MSC make a one year warranty. I meet Andrew a few weeks ago, he seems to be serious. I enjoy to trust him.

Jean

Dont get me wrong, Andy at MSC is as sound a Pound and I dont question his engineering ability...

I'd just be very wary of something that has never been done before, especially when you still see

so many failures of the S1 cars with a honda transplants and that kit has been around for ages...

If Andrew succeed in doing it on his car, I think he will be able to do it on mine : same chassis, same engine.

Some people have already done this conversion even in France without the experience of MSC.

There was a lot of bad issue in DIY conversion, I know.

I trust Andy because first he was not able to say me a price :lol: (ie he doesn't want to make discount) and because he want to test the car in real condition before to sell it. He know that this projet is a challenge for him and he doen't want to loose it ...

I make the conversion because I feel the 2-11 lack of torque and because UK is not in euro zone :P . My 2-11 type R will cost me less than my first 2-11 ! Do you follow the Atom 300 on trackdays ? I don't, nobody in France succeed in doing it. And I have a lot of friends in AA300 :lol:

Jean

Just curious, I would have thought the easiest and cheapest way to keep up with an Atom 300, if that is your goal would have been just to buy one in the first place. (Or a Caterham R500 or Radical for that matter) :lol:

Paul

The AA is too hard to drive for me :lol: and I dislike the shape, the 2-11 is a beautyfull car easy to drive :lol:

And in fact for me it's cheapest to make this conversion.

The radical ... it was another option ... but put it back to the factory every 30 hours is not easy for a frenchy :P ... perhaps next time ...

J

If Andrew succeed in doing it on his car, I think he will be able to do it on mine : same chassis, same engine.

Not quite though. Different chassis on the 2-11, and a different sub frame. Andrew has only converted K series engined Elises up to now - that was where his "Exige" started - never in a car with a Toyota lump in. Plenty of Honda'd cars around, but only in older models.

Personally I think you're mad, but that's part of the fun :lol:

Good luck with it - hope to see you on track sometime.

The AA is too hard to drive for me :wacko: and I dislike the shape, the 2-11 is a beautyfull car easy to drive :wub:

And in fact for me it's cheapest to make this conversion.

The radical ... it was another option ... but put it back to the factory every 30 hours is not easy for a frenchy :( ... perhaps next time ...

J

Not sure you will find the 2-11 that much easier to drive with that amount of power and as for the reliability with additional strain on the drivetrain and components well......... all I can say is good luck my friend.

P