free hit
counters
Brake Pad Upgrade - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Brake Pad Upgrade

Hi guys. This is my first post. Unfortunately I do not own a 211. I have a friend that has one, as well as an Elise. I am a SM for BMW and am way out of my element with both cars. My friend is getting fed up being over-charged and misled with information and has asked me to have my guys upgrade the brake pads on both the 211 and the Elise. I need to put track only pads on the 211 and a street/track pad on the Elise. I am also assuming that I would need to change the brake fluid to something like ATE Super Blue, but I would like some input on this as well. Also, are the rotors okay, or should the be upgraded as well? Two of my personal favorite pads are Hawk and EBC(they both work reasonably well with German cars). I have been able to find EBC pads for the Elise, but can find no reference to the 211. Are the specs the same for the 211 as they are for the Elise? I am sorry to bombard you guys with all of these questions, but I have found that when you don't have the answers, go to the internet and ask people that have real-world experience. Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Standard Pagids on the 2-11 are about as good as pads get - can't see why he'd want to change them.

Ref the Elise - depends entirely on what he's using it for. If it's mainly road based use then Mintex 1144s are very good. If it's track work then either Pagids 14s or 42s same as the 2-11.

Avoid EBC Greenstuffs they have a very bad rep for Lotuses. I hear reasonable thing about the Yellows though.

I suggest you have a look through the wiki on www.seloc.org for the Elise and on the fluid front. Keep it as is for the 2-11 unless he's going racing.

Lloyd,

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking the EBC yellow stuff for the Elise, but if you think the Pagids are better then that's what I will recommend. I have used Pagid on several BMW's and Audi's with very poor results. I do realize however that German cars can be rather finicky, just as English cars can be too. It makes perfect sense that they will work fine on a Lotus, even though the German cars I have used them on did not fair as well. He will definitely be tracking the 211 pretty much only, so do you think the standard brake fluid can handle it? It sounds like both cars will be running with Pagids, since that is your recommendation. You did not mention anything about the rotors so I am going to assume they are just fine as is. Thank you very much for all of the help.

You'll be fine with the rotors on the 2-11 and prolly the Elise as well, though I can't state that with any certainty without knowing what Elise you are talking about.

The 2-11 comes with a racing grade brake fluid as oem - tell the owner to give you the usb stick that comes with the car and it will give you all the info you need. The Elise - again - who knows - I uprated the fluid in my Elise when I put drilled disks and braided hoses on - if he's tracking it heavily it's probably a wise move - ditto the braided hoses if it doesn't already have them - again this is assuming it is a K series engined car with rubber hoses and no abs - different ball game with some of the Toyota engined ones. Seloc is your friend for that one.

Pagids are renowned through the Lotus world for their performance - remember that Lotuses weigh considerably less than any other car you've probably dealt with from the sound of your experience.

Thanks again guys for all of the help. It doesn't sound like I have that much to worry about with the 211. I need to look at the Elise to figure everything out. I'll let you know once I find out. And Lloyd, you're right. I own an SL. I think it literally weighs 4 times what a Lotus does. I cannot thank you guys enough for all of the help with these 2 cars I am going to working with.

I have used RS-14 for about 3-4 years now on all my cars. but I have forund that I was over heating the Pragid's. This was more down to my bad heavy late braking, something I am working on. I went to Carbotech brake pads of late, XP-8's have a wider (and higher) operating temperature range http://www.carbotech-europe.com/ I have found them really good, but only used them at one track day at brands.

I have heard that Randy is looking into a different pad, I am sure we will hear soon.

Cheers

Scotty

Here for a good time, not a long time

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, looks like we're going with the RS42's on the 211, and probably the same with the Elise. Here's the next question. The Elise is a 60th Anniversary Edition and is Supercharged. It is a 2008 and the brake rotors are already cross-drilled and have Brembo pads on it. Any idea if these are the exact same brakes that the 211 comes with, with the exception of the pads? I don't want to order the wrong pads and looking at some of the comments it would seem that the Elise typically comes with non-drilled rotors so I am starting to think that these are the upgraded brakes. Again, I really appreciate all of the help. You guys have been awesome. Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Scotty, let me sort you out with Performance Friction pads.

Cheaper than Pagid, more consistent, don't break up to the same degree when beyond 50%. Two compounds available and I've got PF discs being made in the US which will fit the AP bells.

Motul RBF660 brake fluid has the same properties as SRF but is less expensive, that's what we're running in the 2-Eleven, Exige S and the production class cars.

Stephen

www.track-club.com

If I may, I'd like to back up what Stephen says with regards to the Motul fluid. I'm using it on my Lotus 61 FF and in the 2-11. Works just fine.

As for the pads, you can also try EBC green or yellow. I have them on several vehicles and they work great. Much cheaper than the Pagids, very low brake dust output, and excellent break-in qualities. They also seem to be wearing at a nice rate and no brake squeal to speak of.

Just a suggestion.

Edited by abrussich

I run EBC yellow stuff pads, as a Marshal I get them half price as one of the Directors of EBC is a Marshal too!

Do not use green stuff on anything but a small, light hatchback ie Corsa/Saxo. They are an OEM replacement for that type/size of car. Reds are better and shield the caliper from the heat from the pad/disc up to 500 degrees so help avoid the fluid boiling and yellow are up to 900 degrees, they're only a couple of pounds more and recommended if you ever intend to use the car on track.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

If I may, I'd like to back up what Stephen says with regards to the Motul fluid. I'm using it on my Lotus 61 FF and in the 2-11. Works just fine.

As for the pads, you can also try EBC green or yellow. I have them on several vehicles and they work great. Much cheaper than the Pagids, very low brake dust output, and excellent break-in qualities. They also seem to be wearing at a nice rate and no brake squeal to speak of.

Just a suggestion.

Al,

As for pads, give the Hawk HT10's a try -- I think you'll like them.

I run EBC yellow stuff pads, as a Marshal I get them half price as one of the Directors of EBC is a Marshal too!

Do not use green stuff on anything but a small, light hatchback ie Corsa/Saxo. They are an OEM replacement for that type/size of car. Reds are better and shield the caliper from the heat from the pad/disc up to 500 degrees so help avoid the fluid boiling and yellow are up to 900 degrees, they're only a couple of pounds more and recommended if you ever intend to use the car on track.

I stand corrected on the greens. I was pulling from memory and I thought I had read that they were the raceir compound. My bad. But then pulling from memory usually does result in a faux-pas, just can't seem to remember that. :)

It's a common mistake Al, I've seen quiet a few Esprit's that have been 'upgraded' and always offer the benefit of having had a chat with a Director from EBC :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The 2-Eleven has Castrol SRF from the factory and I think it is very good, it should be at $80 per L

Not so Patrick, I spoke to Nick Adams last year trouble shooting a braking problem. He led me to believe it was only the first 20 or so cars that were built at Motorsport that had the SRF in from the factory.

All cars after that which have been built on the main production line would have been filled with the std stuff they put in the road cars...

Back to brake pads.. I just couldn't get on with the 14's at all that are std fit... Swapped to 42's as I have previously used and they work very well. However, just recently I have been using the Performance Friction Pads as suggested by Stephen - Even better than the 42's :)