free hit
counters
Prospective Owner in the Future - Introductions - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Prospective Owner in the Future

tvacc

Hello all.

I am Tony Vaccaro. I am www.lotusowners.com and have an 2005 Elise with a Sector 111 SuperCharger....A Caterham Seven and a 1971 Elan...completly tricked out with all Spyder components. I have been thinking of a 2 11 lately so I thought I would sign in and try to keep up with whats happening.

I would be interested in a Left Hand drive European Car with lights and other road options. One with a blown engine would be even better. I would import it into the US myself. I am in Buffalo NY.

Been involved with Lotus my whole life and sat in a 2 11 last week end. Wow....and I did not even drive it.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guess from the wanting a European road version you're wanting to drive it on the street - I don't think even if you import it from europe you can get it road legal anywhere but could be wrong.

I *think* you can get the track pack with lights option for the US cars which would give most of what you'd want.

To be honest the lights are the only main part of the road kit (except for a smaller splitter and pedestrian friendly rear wing)

Whats your plans for the car?

Tony,

I don't know how it will work for you to get one street legal here. I had to sign affidavits, notorized by the dealership, stating that the car would never be run on the street. The fines for doing so are steep and loss of the car is included.

You may want to look into that bit before going through the effort.

Al B

Houston

I just like the looks of the car with the lights and I have an elise engine already. I think the car is more marketable to a larger segment of the world with the full equipment....just in case i have to sell it.

Sorry - SVA is a UK term meaning "Single Vehicle Approval". It's basically a set of criteria and rules that allow ultra low volume car models to be certified fit and legal for road use. This covers individual kit cars and things like the 211 and generally mean approx 50 cars per year. It's considerably less restricitve and cheaper than full type approval that require crash tests and similar etc.

When the term SVA car for the 211 is used it generally means any car that has been built or adapted to be legal on the road of the destination country to separate it from the track only cars.

With the 211 if a car is specced to be SVA at time of building then it'll have extra wiring looms and bits added. The track ones generally dont which makes it quite hard to retrofit lights and things after construction. So an SVA car will appeal to a larger auidence if you are keen to keep residual value as high as possible.

Tony,

It's been my recommendation for some time to allow perspective owners to spec out the 2-Eleven with just the equipment they want and have it installed at the factory, including a full lighting kit. You know Arnie Johnson at Lotus Cars USA well enough to help push this through. Nick Adams at Lotus Cars UK is the "brain trust" behind the 2-Eleven and pretty responsive (as car manufacturers go!) to Lotus owner/potential owner requests. I'd also try that route. I know first hand from Arnie what a real pain it was to get the first cars into this country. At the time, Arnie didn't need any additional accessory variables to deal with. Now that some time has elapsed and the EPA doesn't see the roadways clogged with 2-Elevens, the process may have become easier. No matter what your expertise may be in importing grey market vehicles, going this route may be the simplest and wisest in the long run. See you at LOG 29.

Bill Luken

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum. Happy shopping :wacko:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.