free hit
counters
is it normal to idle at 2500rpm in cold morning? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

is it normal to idle at 2500rpm in cold morning?

It's been awhile since I owned an early 90s car...(now all the cars are computerized)

so I've forgotten many things from old school.. <_<

It's the first time I really start the Esprit in a cold morning after being parked overnight.

The car idles at 22-2400rpm....white smoke coming out..

I was scare after a while, so I shut off and start again. and it idles at 1500rpm..afterwhile it's back to 10-1100rpm .....

so this is ok?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine does the high RPM thing for ~2 mins and then drops to normal as well. I believe it's emissions related, closes the EBP valve to warm up the cats when cold or something like that. If it goes into this cycle, just quickly blip the throttle and RPM should return to normal.

Paul

It's been awhile since I owned an early 90s car...(now all the cars are computerized)

so I've forgotten many things from old school.. :o

It's the first time I really start the Esprit in a cold morning after being parked overnight.

The car idles at 22-2400rpm....white smoke coming out..

I was scare after a while, so I shut off  and start again. and it idles at 1500rpm..afterwhile it's back to 10-1100rpm .....

so this is ok?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

old school... Eric, is your car with EFI or carbs? I remember hearing that in markets other than the US the Esprit kept its carbs for a while... I thought by 93 all the cars had GMP4 EFI though, which is computerized.

If it matters (probably doesn't) my Bosch K-jetronic equipped car cold idles at about 1700 before stepping down every few degrees to a slightly high idle of about 1100 when I'm warmed up (which I've been too lazy to correct seeing as the car runs great as it is... and the Triumph keeps distracting me when I'm in a car mood)

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

thx, it is of course an EFI system.

but this computer thing is old comparing to modern cars from 1997 and up...

(services in modern car now just needed to be done in dealership twice a year (Hong Kong service package)

in the old day, the driver/owner got involved in changing oils and do minor or even major thing.

but this is not possible in modern car..too many computer aids.

anyway, thx....I talked to my mechanics, too and he said it's common..

I will get used to this..haha

It's the Throttle Jacking Solenoid. This ups the revs whilst the EBPV is closed. If you've ditched your EBPV, ditch this as well. If you still have the EBPV, don't worry about the revving, it's just the warm up cycle to get the cat hot quickly.

Jason

Land Rover Discovery II & waiting on next Esprit

• 7 months later...
Mine does the high RPM thing for ~2 mins and then drops to normal as well. I believe it's emissions related, closes the EBP valve to warm up the cats when cold or something like that. If it goes into this cycle, just quickly blip the throttle and RPM should return to normal.

Paul

I have feffman's 99 esprit, for the first time today since I purchased the car I noticed a high idle.. I have just done a timing belt replacement.. it was idiling around 2k rpm and the temp was 72 outside and it was a little misty.. I didn't wait for it to do anything.. for more than a few seconds... So no real testing.. I was just moving the car in and out.. but the car had been sitting for days though so.. is this the cat heating process?

I also replaced the cats a few weeks ago.. perhaps I created a bad sensor? anything else?

any clue what that might be? the high idle? is this really just normal? I know feffman replaced the IAC before he sold it so it cant be that again.. can it?

Doesnt sound a particular problem to me. Did the idle not settle down once the car had warmed up ?

Every once in a while my car would high idle on startup. But its not done it for a while probably to do with all the bits I've removed and it not being so cold at present.

Every once in a while my car would high idle on startup. But its not done

it for a while probably to do with all the bits I've removed and it not being

so cold at present.

I've removed the TJ and the EBPV. As said here, the TJ raises the revs while the EBPV is

blocking the exhaust to heat the cat. Remove only the EBPV and leave the TJ in position and

it will continue to do this, hence i consider EBPV removal to include TJ removal too, as it's

stuck there performing a needless task?

Worth noting, and Carl here hints at this, despite the two bits of junk described above

being at the bottom of the sea now. Every now and then, very rarely (months), idle startup

is high. Too rare to bother me, restart and it's gone, but sometimes something ain't been

woken up right and thinks it needs a few more revs. I know other (non TJ fitted) owners

get this too, i'm not saying 'it's nothing' as i don't know why this is, but i'm not bothered.

:D

I've removed the TJ and the EBPV. As said here, the TJ raises the revs while the EBPV is

blocking the exhaust to heat the cat. Remove only the EBPV and leave the TJ in position and

it will continue to do this, hence i consider EBPV removal to include TJ removal too, as it's

stuck there performing a needless task?

Worth noting, and Carl here hints at this, despite the two bits of junk described above

being at the bottom of the sea now. Every now and then, very rarely (months), idle startup

is high. Too rare to bother me, restart and it's gone, but sometimes something ain't been

woken up right and thinks it needs a few more revs. I know other (non TJ fitted) owners

get this too, i'm not saying 'it's nothing' as i don't know why this is, but i'm not bothered.

:D

Very common, so long as the car settles the idle once operating temp is achieved. Many/ most modern computer controlled cars do since the introduction of cats and emissions. Most cars if you tap the throttle or put the car in gear, the revs will settle.

Art

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Very common, so long as the car settles the idle once operating temp is achieved. Many/ most modern computer controlled cars do since the introduction of cats and emissions. Most cars if you tap the throttle or put the car in gear, the revs will settle.

Art

Just started it this morning about 68 oputside and moist.. the revs were at 2k briefly but slowly dropped to 1100 within 30 seconds.. then another20 seconds later the car is at 900 rpm.. However even after it hits 900 rpm and I restart it it still does the whole 2k rpm slowly dropping business over again.. <-- is that a problem?

Edited by mamovaka

Boys,

I recently had a thread on this. These days temperatures are down to 15 De Cel in Germany, a fair humidity.

I HAVE NO PROBLEM AT THE MOMENT !

IT IS TEMPERATURE ( AMBIENT ) RELATED.

I changed the ECU, the only thing left is the TJ ( not connected though to the vaccum hose ) and a sensoric trouble. I will go for the problem once it aroses in next summer or during winter overhaul..... :(

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg