free hit
counters
New Lotus S1 Member - Introductions - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
toddk

New Lotus S1 Member

HI , well I am new to the Lotus experience, I have been advised and told not to purchase an S1 Lotus, they say its a labour of love, but I really do like the early styling of the car! I am ready for the challange. I am a car guy I collect American muscle and exotics my web site is www.toddsclassiccars.com . check it out . I ended up purchasing two Lotus Esprit S1's. One is an early 1976 S1 and the other is a 1977 S1, one is right hand drive , the other is left hand drive. I am trying to find the chassis number for the 76, it is missing the vin# and is incomplete, but to be honest I have researched and do believe it may be one of the three conceptions used in the Spy who loved me, bond film, I know they had two hero cars, which one is in a museum in the UK and the other sold at auction last year to a collector in the US. The other four were just shells and used for the submarine shots and design, which leaves three shells used is various states of production, the one used to drive off the pier which was air powered with no engine, and the other two water cars that were waterproofed and pulled out of the water for the screen shots. The interior shows signs of water damage, there is no vin#, color is white with the tartan interior, and some of the dash area has been cut where it looks like some of the gadgetry was. I plan on using the 77 S1 to make the 76 S1 a complete and running car, I am restoring it because I love the styling of the S1 the Bond thing if it is legitimate or not is just a cool plus. We will see, if anyone can tell me the location of the chassis number that would be a big help. Thanks! Todd

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A big welcome to LEF/TLF Todd! Great story,look forward to hearing more of this!!!! You are in the right place for help,advice,support

and occasional insanity....thumbsup.gif

Thanks guys, I appreciate it, I am sure I will be posting for future advice and help. I will post pictures of both S1's in the next couple of days hopefully. Luckily I have a warehouse to house all the cars, these Lotus projects I am very excited about. Any help or info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Todd

Welcome, two S1 thats a good start. As for finding your VIN I would try searching in the sand on the sea bed off Sardinia!! hahahaha You just be lucky to have a bond car!!!

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

wow Todd

what an interesting collection of cars you have had.

congrats on your Esprit 's that you have procured.There is more to life than work,home ,play. It is about dreams and goals and if cars fit into that ,you have come to the right place.

Every one i have met on the forum that owns an esprit , had a dream ,the dream of owning one and setting that as a goal.

So a big welcome and i am sure the Esprit will give you pleasure and pain but hey ,it's all in the chase !

richard

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

Hi Tod and welcome to the forum.

Good to see more S1's being rescued.

If it is one of the bond cars, a good start is to look at the material used for the head rest.

The production cars had the green and red tartan cloth on the head rest but the movie car used the plain green cloth on the head rest with the remainder of the centre of the seat panel being green and red tartan as per the production cars.(take a look at the interior shots from the movie)

If it is plain green cloth on the head rest then it could well be a bond car.

The VIN plate is pop riveted on to the forward bulkhead, it should be something like 76080100G

Is the white one the 76 car?

Does it have an engine?

Where did you get the information that its a 76 car... normaly this comes from the VIN?

If the VIN number is not complete then the other possibility is that its a pre-production car which would also account for some chopping and changing of the interior.

Can you post some pics of the inside of the car and the area where the VIN plate is/should be and perhaps we can help you further.

Cheers

Gordon

Edited by GordonMasson

Welcome to the forum :)

The reason for the plain headrests is that the tartan didn't look good behind Bond's head on camera!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Gordon: Thanks for the heads up, there is no vin# , is there a chassis# stamped somewhere? I have the chassis number to one of the Bond cars, trying to see if the chassis number is in line with the one I have from one of the bOnd cars. The 76 is the white car the interior is there but there are no seats or orange carpet, console is hacked and missing parts, there is no engine, I will try to take some pictures this weekend and post, I appreciate all the help. Todd

Todd - You've been informed where the chassis number should be in your previous topic. The chassis number is often referred to as the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number).

http://www.thelotusf...s-%23-location/

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

Todd.

Welcome.

One of the best guys to talk to about project S1's is our own Tony K. He's an Avid S1 fan and has had many pass through his hands on the way to total rebuild.

I'm sure he'll come on and say hi but if not you can PM him personally here: http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/index.php?/user/907-tony-k/

He'll give you loads of great pointers and ways to replace obsolete parts.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Gordon: Thanks for the heads up, there is no vin# , is there a chassis# stamped somewhere?

Todd,

I could be wrong but if the metal plate in the front boot is missing on your car then you won't be able to determine the chassis' number.hope.gif

Looking forward to your pics.

Hey whats wrong with this wreck? We`re getting gas back here.

thanks for all the info, I tought there might be some type of Id# stamped in the frame, I get some pictures for you guys and then let me know what you think. THanks Todd

Tod

Where did you get the information that the car was a 76 model?

The chassis number is stamped on the chassis at the back behind the engine on the channel where the body bolts to the chassis inside the rear boot.

Are you in the UK or US?

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Paul : I am in the US, I will look to see if I can locate it , sounds like it is inside the boot directly behind/underneath the seats behind the engine? THanks Todd

the previous owner told me it was a 1976 he knows nothing about Lotus', the story was it was brought into the US back in the late 70's with farm equipment, previous owner aquired it through property/storage repossesion has been sitting in storage since then......... Thanks Todd

Mine is on this part of the chassis...

I can't remember which side but it's definitely on that part of the chassis. Mine is an early UK car (30th one).

For a moment I thought you were in the UK and I was wondering how the hell you managed to find 2 S1s!! Over here they're getting pretty rare.

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Hi Todd

Welcome :)

Congratulations on your purchase of two S1's. Photos are a must, please. Help and advice on all the 'ummm' stuff is all here on LEF/LFS. Tony K is the man on S1's here stateside.

Gavin.

Cheers, Gavin

Hi Todd, and welcome to LEF! :)

It sounds to me like you bought the S1 from Long Island . . . correct?

I'd been following that car for a while, almost scooped it up myself a year ago, as did a couple of other people here. I am under the impression from a previous owner that the chassis number is in the 140s--150s range. Going from faint memory of a conversation with a previous owner, my first few guesses would be 151G, 154G, or 155G . . .

Please, post pics --- of both of them!!! I'm just as curious about the '77 as the '76!! :P:(:)

(p.s. Kimbers & Gavin -- thanks for the kindness :))

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Tony: thanks for the info I will catch up with you and give you call , I would like to keep both of the S1's operational , I will get pics this week, let me know what you guys think. Thanks Todd

Edited by oneshot
No need to quote the immediately preceding post

I plan on taking some pictures this weekend of both S1's, btw if anyone here in the US and has a tranny for an S1 please let me know if you are interested in selling it. Thanks

You'll be looking for the 'Esprit parts wanted' section Todd.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/index.php?/forum/113-carsparts-wanted/

Evora NA