free hit
counters
Scissor lifts - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Scissor lifts

bobbak

I am considering buying or more likely leasing a mobile car lift as I want to be able to work from underneath the car the problem is space as i only have my house garage so i found these.

post-895-1137709388.jpg

2 cylinder electro hydraulic ram system

Platform length adjustable

Surface mounted for easy installation

Low profile only 150mm

None skid aluminium alloy surface on lifting platforms

Space saving design only 1950mm wide

Technical Specifications

Capacity 3000kg

Lifting Height 1800mm

Lifting/lowering times approx 50 sec

Drive Over height 150mm

Total width 1950mm

This one is

post-895-1137709328.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have a similar system for motorcycle/watercraft. always seems sturdy enough, but i wouldn't trust my life to any hydraulic system. use it with a mechanical backup, which i think the 2nd unit you showed us has built in. those prices seem high.

If you have the space a two post lift is the better option as access to the underside of the car is excellent.

There are loads on ebay , single and three phase , the three phase motors can be converted to single phase with a convertor or a single phase motor is about

I don't have the height for a full height 2 poster which would be my preferred choice so I started looking as scissor lifts and eventually I picked up one that Machine Mart sell. List is about 1500 quid but I got it secondhand but unused through the small ads for 600 as the guy was desperate to sell due to him moving to a smaller house. It's flat enough to drive over with a mechanical interlock prop that engages automatically. It works off a 13A socket that drives the hydraulic pump and lifts the car in about 30 secs and probably about twice that to go down. It's not a concern for the Esprit but conventional front engined cars might have a problem with this type of lift for exhaust work. I wouldn't be without it. On a fine day you can wheel it out on the collapsible wheels and work on the drive as well.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p...95&r=2051&g=107

One possible money saving tip, If you buy something at the local branch and go on their mailing list, about 2 or 3 times a year they send out invites for VAT free days which could be useful on something costing this much.

Hi Rob.

Ive been considering this kwicklift stuff for a cheaper option.

They are advertised in this months Clasic and sports car mag,(the one with the big blue esprit on the front) from $799.

http://www.kwiklift.com

They look quite good providing the car's able to be driven on too them in the first place.

Edited by punky

I also looked at something similar, but opted out.

1) I don't like lifting the body much

2) I don't trust stuff.

As tegian says - it's your life, if this thing fails.....you're pretty much dead if you're under it.

Nowadays I oik mine up on the jack and at least 2 other points of solid contact (usually the wheel). I currently have the whole rear near side suspension out and I can fit inside the wheel arch. The jack lifts the hoop (it's a great jack, 2 ton) - one of the rear wheels is on the deck and the rear body lifting point is supported by RS catalouges duct taped together - it's as safe only as the car's structual integrity (which should be OK). It's also spead the load across 3 points, it's totally stable and I'm happy to get underneath.

If the jack fails it's stopped by the paper which sounds silly but I would bet that can take more weight, more surface contact and is more stable than an axle stand - it'll never colapse for sure.

Most jobs on the car you don't need to lift it much tbh. It's extremely rare to actually need the underside middle of the car.

I've had EVERYTHING off the rear end of the car except an engine out, simply on the jack with litte problems. The front is a little trickier and for that I use 2 scissor jacks rated at 1 ton each to lift the front cross member - again when in the air paper packing goes under the body - it's safe as you like.

A lifter would be slightly easier but a lot more expensive and intrusive.

facebook = [email protected]

Hi Rob.

Ive been considering this kwicklift stuff for a cheaper option.

They are advertised in this months Clasic and sports car mag,(the one with the big blue esprit on the front) from $799.

My Webpage

They look quite good providing the car's able to be driven on too them in the first place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tony has one

http://www.black89lotus.com/

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

Holden UK sell a portable lift made by Autec for 995 quid.

It has a failsafe lock so it wont collapse and crush you :o

Went round a guys home before christmas and he had a XK150 up on one.

There is a slight restriction to access to the cars underside caused by the units frame, but you could work around it.

It also raises the car a hell of a lot higher than you could safely get it with a trolley jack and stands

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

For all you pansies out there....

All hydraulic lifts from a passenger lift to a bottle jack are inherently safe.

If you cut the hose completely on the bottom of the piston , the lift will drop at the same rate it would normally drop at , something to do with the size of the orifice and the viscosity of the fluid.

So neither the scissor lift nor the two post lift will suddenly drop unless there is a mechanical failure , which is just as likely to happen with an axle stand slipping under a car.

Nigel

Crikey, get out quick whilst its falling ..No thanks, I don't trust hydraulics that much, use logs (tree trunk sections) as the ultimate defence. Must be great using those scissor jacks although a bit pricey for me. Hardest thing I found to get at is those blasted little knuts & bolts that hold the heat shields on the n/s radius arm mounting, you know the ones all rusted up solid with bits of gunge falling into your eyes when you grunt curse & sweat to get into the right contortion...

Pure joy

the most compelling reason for lifting the car up high is: if you can stand up underneath the stuck bolt, you get the best leverage. kneeling or sitting is almost as good. lying prone or supine is the at best ineffective.

Looks like a good, budget compromise as long as you trust their welding! :o

Yum @that 308 btw!

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

I'm considering Bendpak-lift, when I get my garage...or actually it's for storage use, you can park 2cars in small space. It's quite popular in USA, anyone knows how can I get one of those here in north :o

Here's a link: Bendpak

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

:o Im not sure I would want to trust my life under a metal fram titled "BEND pak!" :) Heh!

How much are they then Jussi?

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

I'm considering Bendpak-lift, when I get my garage...or actually it's for storage use, you can park 2cars in small space. It's quite popular in USA, anyone knows how can I get one of those here in north  :o

Here's a link: Bendpak

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very nice. A bit more than I could justify spending though.

Paul.

I don't have the height for a full height 2 poster which would be my preferred choice so I started looking as scissor lifts and eventually I picked up one that Machine Mart sell.  List is about 1500 quid but I got it secondhand but unused through the small ads for 600 as the guy was desperate to sell due to him moving to a smaller house.  It's flat enough to drive over with a mechanical interlock prop that engages automatically.  It works off a 13A socket that drives the hydraulic pump and lifts the car in about 30 secs and probably about twice that to go down.  It's not a concern for the Esprit but conventional front engined cars might have a problem with this type of lift for exhaust work. I wouldn't be without it.  On a fine day you can wheel it out on the collapsible wheels and work on the drive as well.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p...95&r=2051&g=107

One possible money saving tip, If you buy something at the local branch and go on their mailing list,  about 2 or 3 times a year they send out invites for VAT free days which could be useful on something costing this much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like this one but i would be a litte concerned as to its lateral stability could see it toppling sideways quite easy

but worth a second look

cheers

rob