free hit
counters
Winking Headlamp! - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Winking Headlamp!

Morning! My 88 US Spec Esprit has started to wink at me and will no longer hold its L/H/S ( passenger) headlamp in the on/ upright Position.

When I turn them on, they both pop up to full extension, and then one of them starts winking for about ten seconds, then it comes to rest in the closed position.

the headlamp remains on, but is inside the bonnet.

I have tried disconnecting the power to the lamp and raising it manually but the lamp will not go up. The only success I have had was an emergency cable tie, used to get me home..

Does anyone know if this is caused by a relay or control unit of some sort, and if so, where would it be located?

Or alternatively, would it be a stripped gear in the unit?

Regards

Justin

Daybound driver!

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds as if the motor is doing what it's suppose to do (which is good).

I reckon its the headlamp relay (Pod delay). If there's moisture on this baby you'll get the up down nonsense as reported with the headlamp remaining on in the closed position.

:)

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

its usually just the plastic in the gears in the motor have disintegrated.

the repair kit cost $5 and takes about 30min start to finish.

very easy

http://turboesprit.tripod.com/headlight/index.html

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for your replies guys, on inspection it seems it is definately the plastic gear.does anybody Know where I can get one? is it possibly a Toyota part?

Thanks for your replies guys,  on inspection it seems it is definately the plastic gear.does anybody Know where I can get one? is it possibly a Toyota part?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.top-downsolutions.com/product_i...products_id=106

http://www.top-downsolutions.com/product_i...?products_id=87

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

• 2 years later...

Pulled my RHS lift motor apart and have the crumbled bit problem. Some chunks and a lot of dust. Does anyone happen to know the diameter of the bushings that have to be installed?

Thanks,

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Hey mate

I ended up getting a couple of sticks from a Bosch Hot Glue gun as the sticks are almost the same size.

just chopped them off with a craft knife and presto!

they are a little slower than before, but seem to do the job for over a year now, so what was a temp fix, has become semi permanent already.

HTH

Justin

Mines all sorted. Super easy. The fix I did is only temporary. I'll be getting hold of some nylon round or the other thought, which would make it more like a cush drive would be to use a wad punch and some thick rubber sheet to make the bushings.

Either way, easy fix.

Michael

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• 4 months later...

Just discovered I have the same problem. The gear wheel was ok, but the bushings had disintegrated. Ordered the bushing kit from the USA, for about U$20 dollars... not too excessive... but the postage was U$30+.

The kit is for two headlamp lifters, so I'll be prepared if the next one breaks.

Anyway, here's hoping I can figure out how to put it all back together again :thumbup: Lots of spacers and washers in the assembly.

For future reference, the bushings are 12mm diameter and 12 mm high.

Cheers.

Ian.

Thanks, Sanj ... I did notice that, but I was concerned about the washers and spacers inside and out the gearbox. I'm not sure I can see all of these in your tutorial. I guess I can compare the outside stuff with the other headlight pod.

Also, do I need to make any adjustment when I refit the assembly to the car ... or is it self correcting? (It just stops moving when it hits the up/down stops) I didn't alter the position of the nuts on the long push rod.

Cheers.

Ian.

• 5 weeks later...

P.S.

I bought the bush kit from the USA. Thanks for the tips, guys.

BTW, I was surprised at how hard the bushes are. They appear to be regular nylon, with none of the cushioning effect of a softer material (The original (intact0 bushes seemed softer).

If the experts deem the kit replacement bushes correct, then it wouldn't hurt making a set out of regular nylon. i.e. cutting a nylon rod up, or using a lathe to make them.

Cheers.

Ian.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah you could use regular nylon no worries i think!

I used the sticks off of a bostik hot glue gun and just cut them down to size with a sharp craft knife!

they are a little soft but have been doing the job now!

if you use a harder nylon bush i can see it lasting forever, lol

Justin

As a side note to a question that was asked before, These are not Toyota sourced motors. These are actually used in various GM cars. Among the Fiero circle, they're known as second generation motors and were typically found in '87-88 Fieros, 87-92 Pontiac Firebirds and the Corvette C5. There are a number of sources for replacement gears, bushings, and control modules. I'm not sure how common the listed vehicles are outside of the US, but you can usually find a fair number of them in junk yards here in the states. If memory serves me correctly, the gears are directly interchangable between the left and right lift motors, the only difference between the two are the side of the body that the motor shaft comes out of.