free hit
counters
Power - is 276bhp reeeeaaaally going to be enough? - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Power - is 276bhp reeeeaaaally going to be enough?

Guest barretta

There are supercharger+intercooler and turbocharger conversions for the Toyota-engined Elise at about £8k parts and labour (eg Silverstone Performance), so I'm guessing around the £8-12k ballpark for an Evora aftermarket conversion? We'll need to look at some Japanese tuning sites :)

IIRC the Evora Toyota engine accepts a supercharger as a "simple" bolt-on and Hethel have engineered the packaging to enable SC later. It might therefore be simpler/cheaper on this than an aftermarket for a non SC-ready engine. The issue for Lotus is meeting the upcoming emissions regulations hence why it isn't coming till later. Not sure how regs apply to an aftermarket conversion but no doubt someone will tackle it. SP released their Elise conversion only a few months before the Elise SC, so Lotus' own plans for an Evora SC won't necessarily deter others.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest barretta

Actually there already appears to be a supercharged version of this engine in Japan. I think it has about 330bhp. I may even have been an original Toyota product as well.

I've read this thread with great interest. I'm a stowaway from the 2-eleven sister forum and trying to make my mind up about going for an Evora now, or waiting for the SC car.

I have a 2-eleven currently and have had a Mark I Elise, and Mark II Exige (non-sc). After the intital excitement the Mark I Elise began to feel a bit slow, the Mark II Exige the same, however, the 2-eleven (and my CSL), both nicely powerful cars continue to feel fast every time I drive them. I think you need enough power to exploit the whole package effectively but maybe not the absolute peak.

I think the important thing will be - how fast does the Evora feel, rather than how fast it actually is on paper. My favourite car in the 'quiver' at the moment - our auto Cooper S!

g

• 2 weeks later...

The whole power v torque argument isn't new however there is only one answer for acceleration and you want power.

Acceleration is generated by wheel torque. Wheel torque is a function of Engine torque, engine RPM and gear ratio (including final drive and wheel radius). Or to simplify in other words a function of engine power and gearing.

A modern f1 engine has circa 900 bhp and I sure you'll agree has no shortage of acceleration. Peak torque? around 250-300 lb ft. there are huge number of cars that can top that but nowhere near that kind of performance.

A high torque engine can feel faster and on the road and will be more flexible out of the optimum rev range or if you are caught in the wrong gear.