free hit
counters
Credit Crunched Orders - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
yztop

Credit Crunched Orders

Cancelled Orders  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Paul,

Sorry Mate

Its good that you actually publicised it on the board.

I fear some would just abandon writing.

I am in a very similar situation. Unless theres a global upturn (some chance) then I will be also asking for my deposit back from CN

Chris

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Paul,

That is bad news well it doesn't have to be you may a lucky one, it does go to show how scary this is becoming. I work in Energy procurement and have seen some largish brokers go under due to refinancing issues. I am starting to check the financials of my clients to see how they are fairing.

Alan

Audi R8 for

I started this topic with the vote and it hasnt reflected what is going on. I know 2 people have cancelled but it hasnt shown up on the stats. People are positive before they cancel the order then understandbly desert the site. Perhaps bibs could comment on the users which joined but have seen no activity in the last few months.

Lotus sales have dropped in the states more than the market has dropped.

http://www.am-online.com/NewCarSalesFigures/

If all else fails ..... order a calendar.

http://www.easier.com/view/News/Motoring/article-218465.html

I started this topic with the vote and it hasnt reflected what is going on. I know 2 people have cancelled but it hasnt shown up on the stats. People are positive before they cancel the order then understandbly desert the site. Perhaps bibs could comment on the users which joined but have seen no activity in the last few months.

It's true that you're not going to see many votes from deserters.

Lotus sales have dropped in the states more than the market has dropped.

http://www.am-online.com/NewCarSalesFigures/

Lotus have such a small market share, and such small sales figures of the Elise - a car that was never designed for the American market - that I don't think you can read much into a single month's figures. Lotus' sales changed by a few tens of cars compared to the previous year. By comparison, Audi's sales changed by nearly a thousand. Year on year, Lotus' sales are pretty much steady for now, which isn't bad for a niche product.

If you really insist on comparing percentage drops for such small numbers, the month change for Lotus is slightly better than Porsche, and the year on year change for Porsche is nearly one third down on sales compared to Lotus being pretty constant.

In the current climate, the fact that Lotus have any sales at all is a testament to how well they're doing. The credit crunch looks like it's going to be long and hard, but it'll be at least another six or seven months before the Evora becomes available so who knows what consumer confidence will be like then? In fact this could be a remarkable opportunity for Lotus - as the crunch decimates sales of the incumbant premium marques, they might be able to usefully extend market share by being percieved as the drivers car that doesn't cost the earth to run. Who knows?

It's just not worth fretting about. Lotus have committed to this path, now all they can do is produce the best possible product and see how it sells.

I have a 111s and love it dearly.rolleyes.gif

Have sat in an Evora at a 1 day showing at my local dealer recently and was very tempted to put down a deposit.

With a better economic outlook i possibly would have done but given the economy it is madness to expect a people to pay a

construction and property consultants : My company

Hi Beady,

Many dealers are offering exactly what you are asking for - they are taking a deposit with a written confirmation that you can have a refund up until the point you have a test drive or have to choose the colours / trim etc. If your local dealer does not offer this option then talk to another one who will. (Assuming you are in the UK then PM me if you want to be put in touch with a dealer who will offer this).

Provided you pay the deposit with a credit card (which gives you protection against the dealer going belly up in these uncertain times) then there is no risk for you. You may as well get your name on the list as it will be easier to delay an order than to bring your place in the waiting list forward.

Whilst the credit crunch is going to have an effect on orders the other issue is simple supply and demand. I agree with you about the Stig. If Clarkson and other influential journalists give the car 2 thumbs up then this will have a huge effect on demand. On the supply side you need to remember that we are talking about a niche car that is made in very limited numbers. Even with the economy the way it is now if you have a car with high demand and short supply prices will hold up very well.

Alan

Oh to be in the situation to be trading DOWN to an Evora :o

indeed, this is going to be the most expensive car I've ever bought by a very long way in fact I'd wager that it's more money than I've spent in total or at least close - and when i look at it that way it kinda scares me.

Guest EBORA

Would it be unreasonable to think that because of the current economic conditions, the drop in new car sales and the collapse of the used sportscar market, Lotus might re-access the price of the Evora and maybe reduce it by atleast 10%?

I would be very much surprised. They haven't actually given the final price yet as I understand it, but I'd expect it to be close to that of the Cayman. Much cheaper, and they a ) will have to work much harder to recoup the development costs and b ) risk it being seen as a "poor man's Porsche".

As it is, the price seems to be in line with the performance. The Evora's price lies above that of the high end mass market sports cars, and below that of the serious exotica. For what it is, especially an entirely new car, the price seems fair. If the entire industry starts to drop prices, then things would be different.

I remember chatting to one of the lotus guys when they were at CN, his words were along the lines of they wanted it to be nearer 45k but the accountants wanted it nearer 50k. I do think as most, the caymens price will influence it, as will production numbers and the current economic climate. Ive just looked and must say im surprised to find caymens start at 35.5k (2.7l) & 43.3k (3.4l). Granted they normally come with bugger all equipment but Im hoping the evora will be nearer 45 than 50. Im in the same boat as fasteddie, so the lower the better!

Gav

Lotus have traditionally lost on each car sold, especially more so in the initial years of production and I'd imagine that the Evora is no different to this. To reduce the price, and lose more per unit would mean that there would be less chance of recouping the development costs of the car so I seriously doubt the price will be less than what has been speculated!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators