free hit
counters
More news on Evora product plan - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

More news on Evora product plan

TomE

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[...]

Saw the operation of the folding hardtop on the Ferrari California on Monday - very elegant operation BUT it's a front engine car so more scope to stick the hardtop away at the back when folded ... and it does seem to make the rear of the car look out of proportion:

I haven't seen the California in the flesh yet, but from the pics the rear looks really fat. I mean... it's not a bad looking car, but the room needed for the folding hardtop and for its mechanism has spoilt the back.

And as you say, being the Evora mid-engined, it's harder to find enough room to fit the hardtop when it's folded...

Anyway, I'm still convinced that a folding metallic roof spoils the looks of nearly every car :D

Edited by LordMarkus

The impression i got when the car was at CN is that it will be a cloth roof but electric operation, not a folding solid roof.

I thought I'd read that somewhere recently but can't find it now. The Autocar article is slightly ambiguous, saying "an integrated electric roof mechanism" which could be solid or a soft top. I'll see what I can find out next week.

LOL at Fasteddie accusing me of being a girl for wanting a convertible and then admitting to heated seats in the very next post :D

(was out in the Elan, roof down at 6.30am and -4C on Sunday - hat, coat and gloves but no seat warmers!)

oops you got me on that one, can i plead ignorance as 'they came with' the car? No? I'll get my coat!

Update following my factory visit yesterday:

May 2009: UK launch - tick

Autumn 2009: US launch - tick

June 2010: Auto box - tick

Nov 2010: Convertible - wrong, more likely mid 2012 and certainly after the SC; will be an electrically operated soft top with no +2

Mid 2011: Evora SC launch - tick

So get a launch Evora on 3 year contract then upgrade to the SC or convertible when that runs out?

Thanks for getting the schedule clarified. Any color comments? What are the new colors and how do they compare with the current range?

New MY09 colours:

- Aquamarine (metallic) - a lot like Liquid Blue but with a green hue as well, looks really nice

- Quartz Silver - the colour used on the Motorshow Evora last year (UK, France, LA)

- Carbon Grey - the sample said "Ferrari Grey" on the back, so we know where that's come from :D

I think Prism Green is being dropped - there are 20 in total

Update following my factory visit yesterday:

May 2009: UK launch - tick

Autumn 2009: US launch - tick

June 2010: Auto box - tick

Nov 2010: Convertible - wrong, more likely mid 2012 and certainly after the SC; will be an electrically operated soft top with no +2

Mid 2011: Evora SC launch - tick

So get a launch Evora on 3 year contract then upgrade to the SC or convertible when that runs out?

I'm pretty pleased to say that the schedule I'd put up on the Evora Knol (link below in my signature) has been essentially correct since October last year. The only significant difference is that I'd assumed from what I'd read that the Auto box would be the car launched in the US, whereas they'll see the car launched as a manual 6 to 9 months earlier.

Spot on Tuna - seems your sources are more reliable than Autocar's!

Word was that ideally they'd have wanted the auto box as an option in the US from launch, but would rather press ahead with the manual and be able to tell people the auto will be available "within 6 months" than delay the US launch.

I think that getting the Evora to the US ASAP is a very good idea. Prospective customers will come and see the car, even in manual, and dealers will be able to create orders for the automatic version. The automatic version is critical to the cars success in the US. I live in a country where most people don't know how to drive.

2008 was the first year that worldwide sales of automatics overtook manual cars. There is no hope!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I've been driving my wife's auto recently. Perhaps rather too much: got back in the Elan, put my foot on the brake to get out of "Park" and tried to get into 1st without the clutch. Aargh - idiot!

Maybe the only hope for us is flappy paddle semi-auto boxes. The Porsche PDK is very impressive, as was DSG on the Audi I tried. If it lets you take control when you want to, and is a quicker change than a manual shift plus slightly better mpg and CO2, soon we won't be able to call them slushmatics anymore. :D