free hit
counters
More news on Evora product plan - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TomE

More news on Evora product plan

Not up online yet, but a two page feature in today's Autocar and a pic of a yellow Evora on the cover (think it's a photoshop of the white VP1 by the number plate).

May 2009: UK launch, around

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I better pop out to the shops!

0 to 60 in 5.5 sec? Thats a bit of a step backwards, on www.lotusevora.com it still says sub 5 seconds.

Alan

I'd imagine that it's mainly speculation and educated guesswork for now.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Possibly speculation - it's one of those "company sources have confirmed...." stories rather than an official Lotus announcement. The timescales for other variants is already on the list of questions for my Hethel visit next week, as I might be tempted by the convertible. I'll let you know what I find out.

I saw the article, and couldn't decide how much was just made up. If we're now looking at 5.5 sec and max 160 (compared with original claims of sub 5 and 160+), then the comparison with competitors becomes much less favourable and Lotus look particularly bad for misleading early adopters.

The timetable seems a little different to earlier schedules. I'd listed 2010 for the auto and 2011 for the supercharged version after reading up the various initial press releases and articles. That seems consistent with Autocar's timetable, but then it was originally claimed that the convertible would arrive around 2012 - Autocar are now suggesting late 2010, some two years earlier. Having seen some renders of the way the roadster could look, I wouldn't blame them for bringing it out earlier as it seems to have amazing lines.

[...]Having seen some renders of the way the roadster could look, I wouldn't blame them for bringing it out earlier as it seems to have amazing lines.

Renders? Where?

Anyway those performance figures for the NA version look odd to me: 5.5 seconds for an 0-60 is too much, even a standard 134bhp Elise S can do a 0-60 sprint in 5.8 seconds...

I've got a couple of pics saved locally but can't currently upload them as there seems to be a problem with forum uploads - have paged Bibs. I can't find a link to the originals to paste in instead, so hold on while it's resolved. Or someone else may beat me to it!

EDIT: uploads fixed - enjoy! Have to say, I'm very tempted to hold on for one of these:

post-26-1231411028_thumb.jpg

post-26-1231411046_thumb.jpg

Anyway those performance figures for the NA version look odd to me: 5.5 seconds for an 0-60 is too much, even a standard 134bhp Elise S can do a 0-60 sprint in 5.8 seconds...

I was reading a review of the Europa SE in top gear magazine (they like the car). This has 222BHP and 1000kg and does 0 to 60 in 4.9 sec.

The Evora has 276BHP and 1350kg so does have a slightly worse power to weight ratio so I guess the sub 5 seconds provisional figure may have been a bit optimistic?

Alan

PS My Esprit has 300BHP and 1325kg which is almost identical power to weight to the Europa SE. The S4s does 0 to 60 in 4.7 seconds.

Just to confirm, I can assure you that these figures are speculation on the part of Autocar. Lotus maintain a sub 5 second 0-60 estimate so don't panic!

PS My Esprit is 0.60 in 4.7 too according to LEW, nice :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

PS My Esprit is 0.60 in 4.7 too according to LEW, nice :P

It depends on where you look - road tests of the S4s gave 4.7, the LEW figure is 4.6 so my Esprit is still quicker than yours!! :P

Anyway my top speed is 168 whilst yours is a milkfloat like 165 :D

Alan

My non-race driver physique can't help either but I do like beer! :D

Evora NA

To be fair, the S4s is almost the pinnacle of the Esprit models, Alan will win all day long! :D

Evora NA

Has it always been known/ assumed that the Evora convertible was a retractable hardtop? While I can appreciate the structural rigidity that comes with such a configuration as well as the marketing potential, I worry that the weight and complexity could evolve into a problem. That said, I'm sure that, like so many other features of the Evora, the mechanism will make it's way in a modified form to the next Esprit.

Personally I'd prefer a soft top. Apart from the massive weight increase, let's face it, there aren't many good looking retractable hardtop cars on sale. Or maybe it's just me... when I think of a coup

Edited by LordMarkus

as I might be tempted by the convertible.

Girl :P

Personally I'd prefer a soft top. Apart from the massive weight increase, let's face it, there aren't many good looking retractable hardtop cars on sale. Or maybe it's just me... when I think of a coup

While I love the lines of the coupe, I am definitely a convertible guy. There is nothing better than taking a drive at dusk or in the evening through the country with the top down. I only wish Lotus would embrace detail issues like heated seats in order to properly address the desires of the core demographic for this car. Here in the US, a car in this class without seat heaters is at a serious disadvantage (at least in the northern parts of the country). And dont throw the weight thing at me if Lotus is considering a retractable hard top. Perhaps it's an issue with Recaro.

My wife is already going back to school to get an advanced degree so, as she put it, we can get an Evora Convertible in a couple of years.

I have to admit I am with you on the seat heaters (probably getting old). I bought my Audi A8 secondhand and it has all the toys. If I purchased the car from new there are lots of options I would not pay for such as the TV. I would however buy the heated seats (and heated steering wheel) if offered on any car I buy. The massage seats are pretty nice as well but suit the character of the A8 but not the Lotus.

I suspect the weight of the elements to heat the seats is pretty minimal but they use a lot of electrical power so you may need a bigger / heavier alternator and cabling.

Alan

My car has heated seats, I had to take one out once as the runner needed re-seating. It took two of us to lift it out (i'm exagerating a tad but it was very heavy). If you look at a sports production seats it is difficult to see how they could heat them so that means a different kind of seat - ie your standard car seat, they are heavy. However Wallabyguy I agree if they are bending to the open top demographic they should have heated seats as an option. Personally I want light and will do without heat so the option would have to be a completely new set of seats - not sure how that fits with production.

Heated seats were an option on the Esprit!

Evora NA

My understanding of the problem is that the seats are from Recaro and they are limited to what Recaro offers. The seats are not like the ones in the Elise, Exige or even Esprit. In fact, Lotus couldn't even use their current supplier for the hides as they needed to match the seats which were manufactured elsewhere. They had to actually buy leather from Recaro for the rest of the interior in order to match the seats.

Seat detail

http://www.motorsportseats.com/recaro/sportster.html

LOL at Fasteddie accusing me of being a girl for wanting a convertible and then admitting to heated seats in the very next post :D

(was out in the Elan, roof down at 6.30am and -4C on Sunday - hat, coat and gloves but no seat warmers!)

There's a guy on SELOC who has retrofitted seat warmers to the thin Probax seats in his S2 Exige (and got lots of stick from other owners!), so it clearly can be done. It's an easy DIY job and the parts are