free hit
counters
Flat plane crankshaft - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Flat plane crankshaft

I've read the various moanings in the press over the years about the about the V8 Esprit sounding rubbish. Now I agree that the stock exhaust completely ruins the aural experience but some magazines also cite its flat plane crank as a problem.

This I don't understand. Surely with a flat plane crank and the resulting 90 degree V, the interval between one cylinder firing and the next is always the same. Different configurations cause an uneven firing pattern which is surely a less 'complete' sound?

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely with a flat plane crank and the resulting 90 degree V, the interval between one cylinder firing and the next is always the same.  Different configurations cause an uneven firing pattern which is surely a less 'complete' sound?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Personal preference, really.

I always thought the flat plane crank Cosworth V8s in the 3.0 liter F1 cars of the late '70s sounded OK, but a little, well, flat. Compared to the flat 12s in the Ferraris (312 T2 if I recall correctly) they sounded very bland.

In my experiance, dual plane crank engines either sound very very bad, or outstandingly good, even musical. CanAm cars, usually big block chevys at around 427 thru 510 C.I., of the late 60s and early 70s, McLaren, Lola, et all, sounded glorious with the two pipes exiting close together. Trans Am cars (Camaros, Mustangs 302 C.I.) usually with a pipe exiting each side of the car, all sounded like garbage. I mean, put your hands over your ears bad!

A lot of the difference in sound quality may also have something to do with pipe length, valve timing, etc.

The sound is killed by the turbo's.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.