free hit
counters
Who does what? Show us your day!!! - Page 11 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Who does what? Show us your day!!!

I'm a medical gas technician...I work with the piped systems in medical facilities that move the oxygen, air, vacuum, etc. through the building. I do a lot of annual maintenance inspections, equipment repairs/upgrades/scheduled maintenance, etc. Sometimes I'm suited-up in the OR (not during procedures), sometimes I'm getting sweaty in the boiler-room doing an oil & filter change on a big vacuum pump (and it's surprisingly similar to doing the same for a car engine, except I don't have to crawl under). Sometimes I'm twiddling tiny screwdrivers in electronics and mucking about with wires. Sometimes I'm installing equipment in new facilities while they are still under construction, which can include running cable and fettling with pressure-switches and sensors up in ceilings or dragging large equipment into mechanical spaces. There's a lot of trouble-shooting and problem-solving involved.

The other aspect of my job is environmental testing, 'environmental' referring to the occupational environment...making sure that it's safe to breathe in certain areas of medical facilities. You'd be surprised how many hazardous vapours and such there can be... The most common test I do is determining fresh air exchange in OR's, sterile processing departments, recovery units, etc. I also do short-term exposure (with time-weighted average) tests for the presence of nitrous oxide and glutaraldehyde. I used to test for ethylene oxide, xylene, and formaldehyde too when I worked for previous employers.

Now if all that sounds rather high-speed, it really isn't. I make crap wage, I never know what time I'll be getting home any given day, and I'm *REALLY* sick of some things like the larger inspections that entail several days of testing the gas outlets in EVERY SINGLE patient room, and my redneck boss who often leaves me to do alone some jobs that ideally should have two people on them.

I'm rather seriously looking for a new job, something different to what I'm doing now. I want to change fields altogether.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Still got the little architectural practice in Cheshire which has just turned 16 years old...... can't believe my partner and I haven't killed each other yet!! We've been doing some really exciti

Hopefully this is a clue. I work in Composites. 

Cool job @Composite guru! I sold my Elise last week to a chap who works in aerodynamics for a similar outfit! 

Posted Images

Ben,

I worked on a project you may get a laugh out of. Some engineers at the firm I was with in the early 90s had the rather ballsy idea of building a full-blown NY State-certified testing lab at a leachate treatment facility at a landfill on Long Island. Basically there was a groundwater contamination plume from the landfill and the firm designed a pretty clever and massive pumping/extraction system to recover the plume, then run it through a 4-story high air stripper, and then re-inject the effluent back in to the groundwater. So they spent all kinds of time and money getting the lab set up, which was very nice, and then couldn't figure out why all the leachate tests from the gas chromatography came back crap. So they asked me (the lone wolf "environmental guy") to take a look. So I walked in the lab, went to shut the door, and had to force it closed. Massive negative pressure, 20 feet from four huge groundwater pumps. Brilliant! So not only were all the tests fouled, but the lab was unsafe to work in since it was loaded with chronic low levels of perchloroethylene and vinyl chloride. Nice!

Sometimes it's just the obvious stuff that screws the pooch.

- Matt

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Yeah that is very nice; reminds me of the sour looks I get from posh plastic surgeons when I tell them that their OR's need HVAC work because the air exchange is all wrong. They protest that it wasn't wrong before, but then they're clueless that HVAC systems do need maintenance and the odd repair now and then. It's even funnier when I tell them that the air exchange in some less critical area like a recovery room or sterile processing area is good enough to pass OR standard.

PS- I have an environmental degree too.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

No change here!!

Although with the way things are going I am considering investigating becoming an advanced glazing to tarmac impact interface tester!!!!

• 6 years later...

Just remembered this thread. What's everyone up to nowadays? :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Still got the little architectural practice in Cheshire which has just turned 16 years old...... can't believe my partner and I haven't killed each other yet!!

We've been doing some really exciting work. We're currently finishing renovating and extending a house built for Henry Royce (CGI below) and we finished a huge new build country house with a display garage for our client's impressive car collection.

Also, some of you may remember the horrific fire at Manchester Dogs' Home where nearly 50 poor dogs lost their lives? Well, we were selected to design the new home, which completed last month.

I'll never be a millionaire but I'm very selective of the work I take on and have a very easy work life......... but by thunder it's been tough to get here.

Brae Cottage CGi compressed.jpg

Massey Hall (102)_800x533.jpg

Massey Hall (36)_800x533.jpg

Manchester Dogs Home 013.jpg

• Like 2

Cool job @Composite guru! I sold my Elise last week to a chap who works in aerodynamics for a similar outfit! 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

43 minutes ago, Composite guru said:

Hopefully this is a clue. I work in Composites. 

IMG_1927.JPG

Say Hi to Josler for me.....:welcome:

• Like 1

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

• Gold FFM

Done a survey on The Bank of England today, really interesting especially the vaults, 3m thick reinforced concrete walls will 3/4 inch steel plate encasing it. Really hard to work out where you are the bloke showing me around who has been there 8 years got lost, twice! We are not allowed any drawings apart from the basic outline of the building. That should be interesting to price!  Seriously amazing building,  by the time we had finished we had walk 3.5 miles. 

:lol:

Evora NA

@Advantage Kingsman hey? Say no more.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)