free hit
counters
Aftermarket Exhaust Options - Page 4 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Aftermarket Exhaust Options

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi chaps had my car fitted with sports exhauts from blue flame, it looks and sounds great, they told me the evora has 3 cats two with sensors and one without ,the one without has now gone and the new

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What are people's thoughts on the factory sports exhaust on the S? I struggled to find any clips... Is it any good / dramatically different from standard or should I wait and get a larini one?

"Simplify, then add lightness”

Very happy with the Lotus Sports exhaust. Mine was fitted from new by B&C so I have not owned a standard exhaust, but I tried two standard exhaust demonstrators and felt they were seriously lacking. B&C said the Sports exhaust needed 500 miles of "running in" to give of it's best and I did find that. Believe it's a Janspeed product, so good provenance. (I know it's a good combination with the CAI. Though someone else is adding a CAI to a Larini and expect there will be report on that on the CAI thread soon.)

Depending on the year the exhaust on the S sounded good to me.

I think these sorts of thing are very much a case of personal taste. You will tell straight away when you drive the car if you think its lacking the sporty tone your looking for.

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Tesla Model S - Midnight Silver | Renault Twizy - Brilliant Black ::..

LOL @ present, I wish it was free :)

I am enjoying it, but have not had to much time with it as busy with work and stuff around the house. I am busy today, but its raining anyway :(

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Tesla Model S - Midnight Silver | Renault Twizy - Brilliant Black ::..

Anyone got any ideas of how much to upgrade to MY12 S exhaust. It is supposed to be fantastic?

It isn't a simple swap. The MY12 silencer's actuator is in a different location, this means the solenoid valve feed pipes etc will need to be changed plus the rear undertray will need to be altered to stop the actuator fouling on it and aid cooling. It is doable though, but aftermarket option might be cheaper and most probably lighter.

The only thing to get the MY12S tone you need to do is to replace the 3rd cat with a straight pipe, you can get such pipe from Lotus. Understand from my dealer that everything else can stay at it is, the other changes done from MY11 to MY12 don't influence the sound.

Although fitting the decat pipe is part of the MY12 system, your dealer is talking nonsense if they think just changing that will give the desired sound. Do you really think that Lotus would have spent all that time, effort and money developing a new silencer with Janspeed if they could replicate the sound they required with a simple decat? If you want further evidence; bear in mind that MY12 federal cars actually use the 3rd CAT and they still make the desired sound - ask your dealer to explain that.

Edited by JAWS

If you want further evidence; bear in mind that MY12 federal cars actually use the 3rd CAT and they still make the desired sound - ask your dealer to explain that.

Not sure about that statement. While we for sure retained the 3rd CAT and have the new MY12 exhaust I cannot tell any difference between it and our federal MY11. I picked up my car yesterday and drove home 280 miles, and according to the dealer, he believes i am first to take possession of an My12 in the US. I have headers (catless), large metalic cat mid pipe and Lotus Sport muffler ready to isntall, so after break-in I will start playing.

Interesting comment Julian, the decat will give a new sound but it won't have that distinct sound the MY12 has. Personally I liked the sound of the 'S' exhaust in sport mode before the MY12 change anyway.

Making those changes to yours will give a great weight loss - I reckon approx. 20-25kg? How does losing all the CAT's affect legality of the car in Texas?

Edited by JAWS

Do you really think that Lotus would have spent all that time, effort and money developing a new silencer with Janspeed if they could replicate the sound they required with a simple decat? If you want further evidence; bear in mind that MY12 federal cars actually use the 3rd CAT and they still make the desired sound - ask your dealer to explain that.

Well, money would be the argument that they just replaced the third cat... However, it is not really worth exploring that route if you want to install other headers (which means you loose the two main cats), so I will stick with the 3rd cat for the time being, and install new headers plus sports cat at a later stage. Loosing the main cats should also help to give the car a more serious sound.

I certainly agree with that, you're also more likely too gain some power by replacing the headers. I know that Komotec do a whole set up for 3990 euros that promises 300bhp for the N/A. I have also seen that 2bular are working on their version and are testing the legality for the UK MOT, which will be interesting.

Making those changes to yours will give a great weight loss - I reckon approx. 20-25kg? How does losing all the CAT's affect legality of the car in Texas?

Weight was my primary driver. CAT: Its Texas, land of oil. No really we have environmental laws but testing varies by region, the big cities and metro areas are tough (not California tough) with visual and sniffing tests but the smaller cities are visual only; ha they don’t even know what a Lotus came with. that aside I refuse to give up all CATS and hope that the new single metallic Sport Cat with relocated O2 sensors will still maintain clean air; losing the ex manifold Cats will hurt warm up emissions, but the new laws are so restrictive here it is ridiculous to expect much life out of a Cat subjected to the exhaust port flame front, just to clean up an extra 5 minutes of air from each cold start.

Edited by Julian73
  • 3 weeks later...

I finally got round to fitting a Lotus Sports Exhaust yesterday, only taken 18 months!

I'm not a big fan of the burnt affect tail pipes, so I swapped them with the titanium finishers off the standard silencer.

Fitting it is a great weight saving and the sound is subtle at idle and cruising (no drone) with a great burble at higher revs. I highly recommend it.

It is still a very quite exhaust. When I RR my car I was surprised just how quite it was.

On the subject of cats, 2 small cats off the new manifolds and drop the 3rd cat is the way to go. That way you still get pre and post cat O2 readings for each bank of the V6 as it is now, all be it slightly further down stream than they were. The problem it turns out is getting good quality, small cats to fit in the available space but that problem may have been solved. Will know by the end of the week :)