free hit
counters
Aftermarket Exhaust Options - Page 6 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bibs

Aftermarket Exhaust Options

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You would have thought they would have retained it to keep the emissions/tax down?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

I imagine the elimination of the catalyst material being a significant savings for them on each car. Catalytic converters aren't cheap, they're usually close to $2000 (and often more) on most new cars, given the secret ingredient is platinum.

Edited by Squidward

The Evora one is pretty cheap, part number is B132S0014F and retail price is just over £200. 

Maybe we should buy a few and melt the platinum out of them :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

There was simply no need for the 3rd cat to fulfill the EU emissions. So, the why install one? US, and especially California is a different situation.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

If road tax is £500 cheaper for the sake of a £200 cat, makes sense to install it to me and can only help with sales...

Evora NA

The Evora one is pretty cheap, part number is B132S0014F and retail price is just over £200.

Maybe we should buy a few and melt the platinum out of them :D

well true but I think the difference is that this part only accounts for 1/3 of a complete system, as the other two cats do the majority of the work, whereas typical cats are a single unit and therefore contain two or three times more of the precious metal than the Evora's 3rd cat alone. I suspect they made it *just* big enough to meet the minimum federal requirements.

Here in the states, catalytic converters are the new car stereos..

So, anyone (in the UK) have a std NA exhaust gathering dust at the back of their garage after upgrading?

I may be interested in retrofitting back to standard, if the price was right.

Resurrecting an old thread, but I've just had the Lotus blue-tipped sports exhaust (stage 2?) fitted to my 2011 factory-3rd-decat NA (sports pack). 

Could not believe the difference in sound! It's properly loud, and may be a bit attention seek-y... To compare, I have an XFR as well, and that's tame by comparison! So much so, that I stress about leaving/ arriving early/ late in the day. Come to think of it, a friend has a 370Z with a full custom exhaust he had imported from the States, and the Evora's twice as loud.

Certainly lots of fun, but I haven't yet decided if it's too intrusive on just a normal drive to work. I worry for my ears!

I've also noticed that induction noise has gone, completely replaced by the exhaust note, which is a shame. 

On a side note, does my 3rd decat mean I'm likely to fail my first MOT in a year's time? If so, I'll have to jump ship. The thought of no warranty and silly bills send shivers down my spine...

Oh, and spoke to someone from the development team. Not supposed to tell you this, but the MY12 noise, is mainly just a different back box (bigger). And it's retrofittable (is that a word?). The silly triangular tips are rubbish though. 

You've got me worried about the noise now Shaun! I have the same exhaust as you now, and my decat is awaiting fitting - I always understood the noise wasn't too bad at cruising/lower revs, and that it only came in at higher revs? I too have neighbours I don't want to upset..............

Euan

You could always coast until you get far enough away -I've found myself doing that! It might just be me. I'd be interested to hear other people's point of view -I imagine it's quite a common combination.

I have a radium , sports exhaust and decat... I find it perfect and not too loud:-)

Ps:

Passed my mot ok:-)

So, anyone (in the UK) have a std NA exhaust gathering dust at the back of their garage after upgrading?

I may be interested in retrofitting back to standard, if the price was right.

I might be getting rid of mine. Need to look into price, its done about 7000 miles.

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Tesla Model S - Midnight Silver | Renault Twizy - Brilliant Black ::..

Cheers Dale, I think I have an option on another, and will know next week. I'll let you know.

Really torn on which way to go but my current stage 3 (track only) exhaust is too full on. Passed the MOT though.

No problem. Glad the stage 3 passed the MOT though, mine just had its first MOT also. Decat, Larini and CAI, passed with no issues. Perfecto :D

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Tesla Model S - Midnight Silver | Renault Twizy - Brilliant Black ::..

Interesting, Shaun. I was wondering whether I should remove my third cat. Now I don't think I will. If you think yours is too loud perhaps you could replace the third cat. 

I thought the stage two Lotus (Janspeed) blue-tipped exhaust was perfect when I fitted it and I still think so 15,000 km later (I was afraid it would get louder).

I only find it intrusive around 3,000 rpm when cruising on the notorway, but that's easily solved, I just drive a bit faster :) or change down to fifth gear.

When it's really hot after e.g. 2 hours of non-stop driving, it will get noisier too, like all exhausts.

But for the sort of driving I do it's perfect.

I wonder what the differences are between a standard exhaust with a decat pipe and a 'standard' Stage 2 (without a decat pipe).

It's growing on me... Don't think I want it to be any quieter... 'Course, not every journey happens on a nice sunny Sunday afternoon :-D

Well, I am now back to Standard Exhaust with decat pipe, and enjoying the new found, near silent experience, with a hint of rasp above 4000 rpm.

For your amusement, here is the homemade monstrosity that was my "chavvy" installation, compared to the replacement box.

Evoraexhaust_zpsce3733fb.jpg

Edited by m1lum

Wow there isnt alot too that.

Out of interest can you say how much you picked up the standard exhaust for?

I had a brief run in my newly decatted car at the weekend, and errr .... not sure I like it.

Fine on the motorway/DC reasonably close to the NSL which I usually do, but seemed boomy and intrusive when spending time in the upper throttle areas on the twisty stuff. Didn't notice any pleasant increase in noise either. I'll see how I get on this weekend with a longer run and 200 odd miles of bendy stuff.

Getting a bit more used to it and proper 400 mile run last weekend.

To be honest I don't really notice a pleasant noise difference - just sounds a bit more noisy and drones more. Unsure what all the fuss is about.

I don't drive the car regularly enough to notice a performance variance, although there is a hint of additional smoothness which I guess might be the less restricted exit.

Definitely not a problem on the motorway or DC, but then I tend to stick within 10 mph of limits there. Drone could get wearing on longer twisty roads where you are on part to full throttle a lot of the time.

Edited by snowman

Evora NA