free hit
counters
Spitfire rolls into Hethel - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Spitfire rolls into Hethel

Bibs

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised they didn't send it back to the makers in Cornwall, as featured in James May's cracking new TV series last week, when he and a group of school children made a full sized "Airfix Kit" of a Spitfire, which had been specially made by this firm for the programme. They had to revise their normal "gate guardian" Spitfire to be light enough for the team to assemble...the normal production types have a steel framework to keep the GF structure from sagging and deformation. I understand that they are at present refurbishing several of the 20+ year old Spitfires and Hurricanes that have been standing outside various RAF stations since the original real ones became so valuable and have been removed for restoration to flight or spares for the ever expanding fleet of airworthy examples.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I saw that show. The kids all said - "Yeah, I'll definitely do more airfix kits now". I hope they realise they aren't all quiet as big!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I saw that show and was left scratching my head a bit, esp when James made a rather good suggestion about using polystyrene foam to re-inforce some sections of the GRP becuase that is exactly how I have been making parts for the GT2 without the foam disolving - all in all I thought James had a better concept of it :animier:

I dont know why they also didn't opt for wood re-inforced plastic in some places either, coupling that with the 'long periods of non communication' (thought it was just me that suffered this problem with companies) is the reason why I'm guessing Lotus got the job :thumbdown:

facebook = [email protected]

Good program but the guys making the kit seemed stuck in there ways and a bit clueless/reluctant to use anything other than there standard basic materials and construction methods. Its not rocket science to use glues that don't disolve polysterene, and why not construct ply box sections for wing spars instead of using great lengths of steal.

Agree about the polystyrene...I was shouting at the screen "NO!! PolyURETHANE foam..." and why not use some carbon fibre, too? Anything would do, you're only trying to form a GRP box section, could use balsa wood, cardboard, old bean tins....

I'm looking forwards to the later episodes of Mr. May's oeuvre...where he runs a Scalextric track all around the Brookland's outer circuit and replaces 10 miles of Beechinged railway from Barnstaple to Bideford in North Devon with an 00 scale track!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...

Surprised they didn't send it back to the makers in Cornwall, as featured in James May's cracking new TV series last week, when he and a group of school children made a full sized "Airfix Kit" of a Spitfire, which had been specially made by this firm for the programme. They had to revise their normal "gate guardian" Spitfire to be light enough for the team to assemble...the normal production types have a steel framework to keep the GF structure from sagging and deformation. I understand that they are at present refurbishing several of the 20+ year old Spitfires and Hurricanes that have been standing outside various RAF stations since the original real ones became so valuable and have been removed for restoration to flight or spares for the ever expanding fleet of airworthy examples.

It was made here in Norfolk, by GB Replicas at Catfield. Also, Plum Pictures went to Cornwall for the James May ' Airfix' job because we were not prepared to be made to look idiots. We have been making Spits and Hurricanes for the last eighteen years.

Stuart...sorry for the inaccuracy; I was only repeating the info from the programme. I don't think the programme would have made you look idiots...unless the nonsense with the polystyrene foam was part of the script? Looks like your firm would have been on the ball there. I agree with Jonathan...why not any Tempests?!! And also early jets..there must be gate guardian vacancies for Vampires, Meteors and the like..and they are actively sought after for restoration these days. Linton on Ouse had a Vampire as a guardian when I was there in the early 70's, and Church Fenton had a Meteor NF 11.

What did I miss about the polystyrene? I saw James chatting about using it but didn't see what effect it had in the end. I was assuming it would add no strength itself but would merely act as a spacer to facilitate the addition of another layer of laminated GRP some distance from the second, so strengthening the design in the same way as if two sections were made and bonded together.

I recall the place at Catfield when I used to work for an insurance firm so had to travel most of Norfolk. Didn't expect to own & drive a GRP car but do remember thinking it's a messy job.

Nah they issed the wrong resin and it melted the polystyrene.

James had a valid idea, as most on lookers actually do, but the 'experts' can sometimes ignore that and be pig minded (wtf does he know !)

Polystyrene has a fairly good tensile stength (for its weight) so it can be used to bulk out and brace things, it's super light as well...they use it in model airplanes a lot (foam cored wings)

SheetLayout.02.jpg

I used polystyrene to make NACA duct moulds for GRP, you can even use it as 'loss' system....apply a short blast of heat to it will make it all disappear leaving you with the resin and an open mould.

facebook = [email protected]

Was on holiday last week and have not seen any telly!! which channel was the TV programme in question on? and is it on one of the on line catch ups?

Don't worry I'm sure it will end up on Dave in a never ending loop.

But here you go : http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00nnm3d/James_Mays_Toy_Stories_Airfix/

Edited by red vtec

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

wish i could see that link Chris :( BBCi player is only letting people in the UK watch them!

I cannot beleive i can't see them, even though i am still paying for the bleedin licience :animier:

Rip off uk again

ah! good old youtube :P

Edited by Dodgy

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)