free hit
counters
Need Electronic Assistance - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Need Electronic Assistance

doct93

Hello all, I need assistance and I'm hoping one of you bright ladies or gents can help me. I've bought a MSD ignition controller (not for the Lotus, don't worry). The problem is, the only cheap one I could find is for an odd-spark V6, thus has only 10 degree spark duration, I want to fit this to a V8 and would like the normal 20 degrees duration.

MSD say they can convert it no problem for $35 - ideal! The snag is they're in Texas and I'm not! Now if they reckon $35, it must take about 15 mins to do, but they understandably won't tell me how to do it myself... My secret weapon however is that I have a circuit diagram (well a couple actually) and with an electronic genius's assistance think that I could easily swap the appropriate capacitor, resistor, diode or whatever.

All I need is that genius! Anyone able and willing? In return, I'll happily diagnose your psychiatric problems!

Tim B

Edited by doct93

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely this is Simon S4's territory?

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Sorry no idea really without a diagram, so

Put up a pic of the wiring diagram in question - can't be too hard.

Would love to have a look - might be an easy solution. :)

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Sorry not much help here.

From the looks of it they can either be re-chipped, which would be a quick job for them or they can stick in a new resistor in (as you said). Putting a new resistor in would take longer as the circuit cards are humisealed (protective plastic covering- -takes a while to remove this stuff). There could also be a variable resistive pot on the cct card, which would make the job easier (for them) as long as you have the correct resistance to input. The other option I saw was switching. ie. there could be small micro switches on the cct card.

if there's no warranty stickers on the box I'd have a look inside and see what's there.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Right, it's all opened up - as you say, liberally coated in humiseal. No obvious switches or variable resistors in sight - any ideas based on the circuit diagram?

I've had a read of the patent (obsessive, me?) at http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4131100.html

and I think the key is the ratio of resistances between R16 and R17 on the timing circuit (on the first circuit diagram). Does this sound likely or look right?

Tim B

Edited by doct93