free hit
counters
Esprit V8 project - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit V8 project

Thanks Mike & Travis, my car has always been a California car, so I am hoping the oil lines come off without tearing up the oil coolers. I just need to get the radiator stack out to measure for new replacement radiator and additional intercooler radiator, and of course replace them.

Wayne

The Older I get the Faster I was

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Wauw Mike, I just LOVE your projects ! Was talking about this with Gert some time ago ...

Haven't had the chance to visit this forum for a while (medical problems for me & my mum), but this project looks sooooooo sub zero cool !

I can smell a dedicated Top Gear Episode already ! No way Top Gear / Fifth Gear can ignore this project !

Maybe time to get schedule some leave to come over to help you on your project, I'll be more than happy to do so (and if you're not bothered with it off course) ! I'll send you a mail ...

Edited by bzguy

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

Been a little while since my last update, as I

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Mike

I'm looking at the pictures of your roll cage. It's looking impressive, but there's a question I have about cages in an Esprit in general:

In a "normal" car you make reinforcements to the floor of the car, both inside the cabin and in the engine room and boot, to which you weld the tubes of the cage. But with the GRP body of an Esprit that's not possible. So my question is - what's the thinking behind the cages in these cars?

Do you place cage legs on top of the backbone and only that?

I do see tubing following the shape of the floor...

In other words; where are the pickup points that supports the cage and protects the inhabitants in case of a heavy shunt?

Geir

...In other words; where are the pickup points that supports the cage and protects the inhabitants in case of a heavy shunt?

I

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

Thanks for the comments. And the cage in the yellow one looked well thought out, at least from what could be seen. And I liked the way they put the main hoop behind the firewall to avoid too much intrusion in the cabin.

But when I look at the cage in your car it shouldn't be a problem for safety that it isn't anchored in the chassis. The way the tubing is spreading it's load along the floor in several places and with the seat runners bolted to the lower part of it should take care of your safety quite well. It may not be adding stiffness to the suspension pickup points - but isn't the Esprit quite stiff there already?

Anyway - I always enjoy to look at an engine under rebuild, when everything is clean and shiny and you know you can handle the parts without getting your hands dirty :-)

Exciting project.

The cage in the yellow V8 is very un-obtrusive. In fact that car feels roomier than most Esprit's since the floor was also lowered. The roll cage head rails were hidden in leather and don't take up much more room than the normal A-pillars and header rails.

The main hoop being behind the bulk head was also a very good idea.

IIRC Johan paid $5k for that complete cage+install+2 aluminum fuel cells to replace the normal steel tanks.

Oh and the normal Esprit is a wet noodle compared to the yellow car, or the X180-R with the bolted in Safety Devices cage!

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hi Pete,

All of those coolers are for the engine oil. The two 16 rows are direct replacement for the existing units and the central 25 row unit is to increase cooling capacity, given that I will be running higher boost.

The standard oil coolers are clearly fine for standard engine outputs. I understand from Brian Angus that Lotus themselves put effort into developing an additional cooler kit for warmer climates and ´track day´ usage. This kit never got take into production or offered by Aftersales.

There will be another cooler (another 16 row unit) for transmission oil cooling, but I´m not sure where to place the cooler yet. I may place it behind the transmission and run a cold air feed to it.... we´ll see.

Cheers,

Mike S

Edited by mike_sekinger

Hi folks,

Got home this afternoon to find that my original carbon rear deck had been delivered from the UK. Great to see it again after these years.

f_grq4v3w3m_3f9f368.jpg

f_grq4v3w5m_9631632.jpg

f_grq4v3w6m_8689a56.jpg

You can easily lift this deck with one hand, so I decided to weight it in comparison to the standard one:

- standard rear deck 31Kg

- carbon deck just over 8Kg

Not a huge amount, but a worthwhile saving especially high-up.

Cheers,

Mike S

You can easily lift this deck with one hand, so I decided to weight it in comparison to the standard one:

- standard rear deck 31Kg

- carbon deck just over 8Kg

That's fantastic, Mike. It leaves you with a 23Kg "pad" with which to add a really beefy wing!getmecoat.gif

(Hey, it's just a thought, but doesn't Porsche use the "whale tail" for cooling something or other? You gotta run the transaxle cooling lines somewhere. Why not through the struts?)biggrin.gif

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Lovely! That spent a year in my dining room and I'd had had it myself if I knew it was available!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The deck mould was retained by Mike Haines, although it was some years ago so he may have scrapped it since.

This deck was replaced by a genuine ex-GT1 deck, which was then sold with the project. I

Just read all 5 pages Mike and I am gobsmacked by all the work you are putting into this motor, will be really impressed to see the end result.

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I´m really looking forward to getting the car running again. According to the theory, the 5th ratio makes for 212mph at 7,400 rpm. This car is not going to do anything near that, but it would be sweet to top 200 - just for the fun of it.

I just need to build and install the engine now :lol:

Edited by mike_sekinger

If you do, use a camcorder. I'd love to send the footage in to Top Gear :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

If you do, use a camcorder. I'd love to send the footage in to Top Gear :lol:

My opinion : you have to prove the Top Gear guys the car can do it (in a controlled & safe way off course).

I'm sure they can't ignore this project ; has anyone informed TG already :) ?

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -