free hit
counters
Octane magazine - January #79 - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Octane magazine - January #79

Robert Crooks

There are more to come, it's a goddamn beautiful car isn't it :lol:

you are talking about the sport 350 I hope?

I personally dont think the 300 looks any different to any other stevens era esprit and much prefer the later rounded look, however the interior does look very nice, but white would not be my personal choice or the most practicle I think..

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Thought it was awesome and probably my favorite bit (he, He), thinking that there must be almost 10 years difference between the models (thinking that was most likley a GT3 997, because of the wing).

Also, Howard, cheeky boy they both look great, personally in the flesh I feel the Sport 300 looks meaner becasue of the width of the car and the size of the road roller 315 section rear tyres, combined with the big cohesive airdam (no foglights for this bad boy just all cooling). I use to prefer the S4/S4s/V8/ Sprt 350 front slender end and always wondered why Lotus chose the SEish for thier top race car (when it was being made alonside the S4 and S4s) but for me it's like the Lexus Is200 rear lights, seemed great when it came out but now I really am not that keen on the cars now featuring same style lights (probably didn't help with the MaxPower brigade converting thier Corsa's to the Lexus lights)

Russ

Bibs,

Who is that driving the car? is it you? if so how does it compare to your SE?

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

It's me driving the 350 and it's chalk and cheese. I might be taking it for a trackday around Brands on the 25th January, watch this space!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Russ, video is 8 posts above.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Chalk and Cheese??? are you offering a differnet verdict to the Lotus Handling team, which I had thought had made it clear that they though the winner was the Sport 300 as the ultimate Esprit by a long shot??

Anyway let's see that video

Russ

Russell - Look up 'chalk and cheese', it means that 2 things are quiet different, there's no reference to one being better than another in that long used phrase.

I organised this event, I was there and drove both cars so can offer an opinion and so far in this thread all that I have stated is that they are very different cars, please don't put words into my mouth.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Sorry Bib's didn't mean for it to come out like that (or put words into your mouth) and also having driven both cars (obviously not these exact 2) I can attest that they are both awesome driving machines but like you say they do have different characters and I would rate them way above their respective competitors (at their time) for excitement and involvement (e.g. 911 GT3 996 (owned one of them) Ferrari 360).

In addition I love the Sport 300 for its intensity and racer feel (there's a heck of a lot of info coming from the steering wheel) but would admit I wouldn't want to drive on very long distances in one day, as for making rapid progress you do have to keep the Turbo on song and in the correct rev band otherwise you lose a lot of speed off boost. Whereas the Sport 350's delivery is much more linear and has a good spread of torque making rapid progress over long distances much easier and relaxed (used one for a long weekend evaluation in Devon once, which was a very fun trip)

I also think that it is great that you organised and managed to get the cars together for the day for a comparison and especially at Lotus (that's one mean feat). Many magazines when reviewing the Esprit or line up or discussing the cars very rarely drives the cars together most discuss them from memory which is a real shame.

So a big thanks for getting this together respect.gif

Russ

Edited by USAndretti42
Deleted quote of immediately-preceding post

:thumbsup:

I've got a spare copy of this magazine still if anyone wants it?

Evora NA

Haha, you can get it from WH Smiths! I was hoping that someone abroad might like it as they can't buy it in the shops but in the absence of anyone else it's yours! I'll give it 48 hours for another reply if that's ok?

Evora NA

Sure!

Paul, you'll save money nipping to a newsagents, you'd have to reimburse my costs inc purchase and postage so it would be more expensive. Are you one of those 'cash rich, time poor' executives I've read about? :thumbsup:

Evora NA

Mine arrived this morning - thanks Bibs :thumbsup:

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Man up, it's only a bit of snow! :thumbsup:

Evora NA

I enjoyed watching (from the passenger seat!) Rob overtaking the M3 CSL around the outside of clearways :respect:

Evora NA