free hit
counters
Cable tightening / tyre pressure sensor Question - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Cable tightening / tyre pressure sensor Question

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an idea, walk rather than drive.

Technology moves on, there are inventions which are there to help and a TPMS is a huge safety feature on a car, so much so that pretty much all new cars have it fitted as standard.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

36372d1225472442-tpms-metal-strap-fit-kit-anyone-tpms-02.jpg

Anyone ever used this kit to retrofit their 20 degree sensors on a wheel that requires a 40 degree sensors.

Here is the info. TPMS FIT KIT Required for TUNDRA WHEELS (Part #04423-0C170) $3.92 each.

This is all I could find.

found this link

Edited by Petrol feet driven
sig.jpg

Isnt that going to be a lot of weight in grams to counter balance?

I suppose the argument against TPMS is that in 20 years of driving i have never had an issue with tyre defaltion on the move, but maybe I am lucky. Is there a system that fit as a bulb in the valve bit? Seem the most sensible/logical way to place the sensor

There technology is there so its worth moving forwards with it. Luddism is cheap but does have drawbacks/

Yer its a bit like water in a bucket then spin it around, if you fill the front tyres with water and go over I think 50mph you can't turn the wheels. But this weight is so little it shoudn't effect the handling of the car. They are on so many cars now that if they where to be off balance then no one would have them.

I have the TPMS as well, got them from the tlf online shop I have so far fitted the display unit and wired it in so not using the car power socket. But haven't got the rest done just yet, as end of march I'm having a full serice on the car and get them fitted then.

Edited by Petrol feet driven
sig.jpg

Well we had a chat and a think today - no way can I break the bead on a tyres (I had a scaffold pole on my spare tyres, not a sausage) so they'll have to bo back to the shop, sod Lotus doing them, not made of money ! The issue here is just that the Magnesios dont allow the original sender to fit in the designated place, shit luck. So the thing has to be customised - v1.0 didnt work.

@petrolfeet - looks similar to most older systems I have seen - prob is my sensors wont fit to the band due to their design - safe bet though.

@alex - neither have I but it's one of those things I wanted to have, which, if I did need it I thank F%$

facebook = [email protected]

Hellllo - great little devices there !

iForged one is perfect - only prob again is the wheel, the valve stem is on a large radius inbetween the bead and the well - my old man did suggest an adapter plate which would work OK but needs designing / testing etc.

I did look at the generic sensor kit which was a lot more expensive than my stainless bands and does the same job.

The final issue is the clearance - or lack of, the tyre can easily knock the sensor off so it has to be lower than a snakes gonos when fitting so the tyre will clear.

Shame on that iforged design - looks great.

Okay, my previous post was bit tongue-in-cheek; but I do question the whole idea of deliberately putting foreign objects inside tyres. I appreciate the idea of being informed that a tyre was slowly deflating, and the consequences of lowering pressures at speed. However, I've had a few punctures over the years; the catastrophic ones, where the thing just goes flat straight away and there could be no warning of any use from a pressure sensing device...it's up to the driver's skill and luck - the very slowly deflating tyre, which you pick up on the daily inspection anyway - and the ones where it goes down significantly whilst driving..these could well be detected by the device, but normally the feel of the car makes you aware that something is wrong. Can't think of any other scenarios. Just what sort of puncture would these devices detect, and provide useful warning? What are the chances of these sensors coming off and rattling around inside the tyres? It obviously has happened in this case, and the chance will still remain no matter what system is used to secure it. I wouldn't drive about with anything rattling around inside my tyres...or the chance of something rattling about there. Statistically, I wonder what the chances are of having the type of puncture this system would be useful at detecting...versus the system itself detaching from it's anchorage and causing the very thing it was intended to prevent?

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Dave, if I still had the pics it would speak a 1,000 words....so I'll just do the words :)

They do fit, no probs but they stick up into the air so high that the tyre will simply snap them off in a blink - they couldn't fit the tyres on mine. Thats due to the lolcation of the valve stem on the wheel, nothing to do with the sensors etc.

They need to sit flush with the well and the only way to do that on the magnesios is to strap them down. I'll try to take photies if you're thinking of doing he same.

John, the sensors came off becuase I didn't use something substantial enough - I honestly thought the wire would hold them (I could pick the wheel up by the sensor) but no.

Millions of cars use them without a problem.

As Bibs says they are law in some countries and are a safety device - I've driven 2 cars on slow running flats before with low profiles and not know the difference becuase the change was so slight, I did notice the mondeo after a 50mile trip where it was 15psi under. Both tyres had nails in them leading to very slow punctures.

I deflated my OZ saturn rear wheel the other day - you can only see it deform at 10psi. Majority of tyre faulures are at high speed in a straight line after they have run something over, look back over the forums there are 2-3 cases of V8 tyres

It also does tyre temperature too which is actually quite useful.

IMO I'm not buying into a kit for the sake of it - I'm buying peace at mind, IF this kit has a chance of saving my car and possibly it's contents I'll fit it.

If people dont feel the need to do likewise I'm not losing sleep believe me.

Sorreeee! This old dinosaur hadn't thought of low profile tyres...I can see that the lower the profile, the more likely it is that loss of pressure could go undetected. Not owning anything with low profiles I went off at half-cock...and now I can see the use and safety factor the device could confer. Do admit that the idea of things inside my tyres still gives me collywobbles, though! What's the power supply to the device...how long do the batteries last?

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

No worries :)

TBH me being a crap driver wont help things.