free hit
counters
Tail gate and sunroof clash - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Tail gate and sunroof clash

Hi All

Since I have had my Lotus (1988 Turbo) there has always been minimal clearance between the tail gate and the glass sun roof. When I open the tail gate (with sun roof closed) it has some times rubbed on the sunroof. I have managed to increase the clearance by opening the sunroof and pushing it as far as I can forward before closing it, this only lasts until it is used again and goes back to its natural position. I thought I would adjust the tailgate by moving it back slightly, although the gap at the back looked good, I still tried. I only moved it 2mm a side by undoing the three M6 bolts on each side of the tail gate hinge but this was enough to stop the tail gate opening again :D finally got it open! Am now nervous about adjusting it back and closing it! Has anyone else had this problem with the clearance between the tail gate and sunroof? And how do you align the tail gate up so that it will open again?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had this problem. First, the clamps on the rear of the glass panel were warped, tiered, and not pulling the roof down enough, the solution was to re-pin the clamps and get more force pulling the roof lower and compressing the rubber seal more.

The tail gate lifts over the edge of the glass so pulling the glass down tight is important. Second, whilst aligning the hatch, get the leading edge as high as possible. Hopefully I have got this right, because it's currently beibg re-sprayed so if it catches again I'll be pi$$ed off.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)