free hit
counters
Oh dear. - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Advantage

Oh dear.

According to Brian Angus at Lotus, it didn't and the fully optioned Sport 350 is 1380kgs, the heaviest Esprit ever! We researched this for the upcoming 300 vs 350 article earlier this year.

I'll happily stand corrected but always take Brian's word on such matters.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I don't have the definitive details but I would have thought that if Lotus had published info that the body was hand laid and then didn't they would be on dodgy ground under the Trades Description Act - you can't say something is hand laid when it isn't.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Brian spent 26 years in charge of Esprit production at Lotus, as I said I take his word.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

Interesting because the following are attributed to Lotus:

"The US Sport 350 is very much a real sport 350 and only requires that a few parts be powder coated, the removal of the spare and airbags, installation of the 350 steering wheel and springs to be almost 100% identical to UK specs. The only thing you can't change is the heavier body but my research seems to indicate that will only save 40lbs."

"The European cars had the lightweight (hand - lay) body shell (not possible for USA due to crash testing) The steering Wheel is easy to change as the column is identical - Wheel and Column Switches are interchangeable. The Wing was designed to be USA Compliant from the early proposals just in case we needed to have some new parts available for use in the future."

From LotusEspritWorld.com who attribute the information to Lotus.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Take it up with Brian.

LEW is so pitted with spelling mistakes and inaccuracies I'd not take that as the gospel truth.

Evora NA

Hey Bibs, even if you do not trust *Kato* -think LEW is right that there was special Body-technic was used: just take look into the parts sections (think you have your own downloadable parts list in LEF :) ) -the SIR for the US cars (as the European cars mostly not have SIR) requires an other body part-number. Think what Brian means with fully optioned is the US version (as this would be like an ordinary standard V8 -less the heavy rims,plus SIR & Wing & Magnesios..) !?

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Oh dear thats very sad to see:( Please tell me is this quite common for the esprit to catch fire?

By coincidence only today i have received a letter of recall from Maranello SPA (ferrari) for one of my cars to be taken into a dealership for the fuel distribution block to be changed. This block has been known by owners to crack and spray fuel onto the manifolds for years and years.

This has made me a little p1ssed of because they are only 14 years to late :) Those that know the F355 will know that there has been hundreds of them that have spontaneously combusted over the 14 years of manufacturer. But only now they do the flippin recall!!

Any way about the Esprit, is this a common fault to? Is it definitely the oil line or fuel lines that cause the problem? Or is this a rare occasion?

As far as I know it from the F355/F360+ Challenge versions those have not on all points aluminum shells, right !? ..there are GRP/CF section as well (undertray..) So even those can burn as hell. The point with the Esprit is that the whole body section is GRP, so if it starts to burn it will burn ... . From point of fuel: the V8 on the Esprit does have an double T-block for the additional injector lines up to Nb. 9 & 10 . Those are attached to the normal fuel rail from Nb. 1-8. And the fuelpipes are only pressed onto the TT-block.. .

My get loose after the car was 5 years old. But the easiest way is to replace the plastic lines with real fuel hoses and clamps.. .

Only 1 way to seetle this (and its not the Harry Hill way :) )

Weigh in ! Weigh in ! Rolling road day ! Rolling road day ! :D

Sure we can make it interesting - guess your weight and BHP - every 5KG/HP you're out

facebook = [email protected]

cool stuff -man ! tat's what the Elise Boys do every time. So it's time that we show what we can do too...

Chaz,too common.....sad.gif Usually on carb turbo models,splitting fuel lines etc. Esprits are fantastic but getting on a bit and need looking after,but having said

that its only basics that should be paid attention to on any car never mind a supercar. smile.gif

I know that my car weights around 100kg less on the dyno/brake rollers than it should (according to the original Lotus documents..). But with my *Adonis like* body it gets is required wheel balances :)

Chaz,too common.....sad.gif Usually on carb turbo models,splitting fuel lines etc. Esprits are fantastic but getting on a bit and need looking after,but having said

that its only basics that should be paid attention to on any car never mind a supercar. smile.gif

Thanks for that mate, i did not know it was a problem. Your right about getting the basic right first time.

Some interesting prices emerging from DVB:

- complete interior: seats, carpet, cf stuff, full dash, clocks, door cards etc:

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

They placed an ad on our forsale section but I've removed it. The MD called me w4nker last year for catching him out on a scam, I'll not forget that in a hurry.

Evora NA

Well done, Bibs...they seem to be a right bunch of shysters...

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Its a total shame that companys like DVB get there mits on cars like these, a fair few people on here myself included would take on projects like these to get the cars back on the road or track, They must be selling parts to people though even at there pathetic prices because they are still in buisness :)

And as for the wheels surly even if they where straight the heat could not of done them any good!

Regards danny

A

that's what I say : the car could still go back on track , or even as an 'object on display' for various aspects. The strange thing is, several special S350 parts are still available -or as an re-fabrication/similar set-up (carbon body-parts, brakes and suspension for example). So who would buy the used/burned parts from DVB !? The car is only worth money 'in one piece'..or as what is left of it after the fire.

Wouldn't touch the rears, depending on the fire duration I would have thought the backs have taken a lot of heat. The paint will certainly be melted off so they'll need refurbing (if you can find anyone who'll touch them). Personally I wouldn't risk my life with them.

facebook = [email protected]

I agree with Jon - wouldn't touch the rears (only use is as ornaments). Wouldn't want to risk my life using wheels which have had some damage.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

So where would the rip off merchants stand if these wheels fell into members hands and some kind of fatigue occured with the magnesium alloy???

Surely the wheels would be subject to safety checks first. One thing always gets me about the UK is that no matter what alloys you buy NONE of the manufacturers put torque ratings on the wheels. Name one site that does this. It always gets me when people go to add cheap wheels to a car just on looks, ok might be ok on a corsa or clio 1.2 but seriously on your Esprits??? You get what you pay for and my life is worth more than some breaker ripping off a bunch of enthusiasts/owners.

Now the heat transfer through those rears would surely as others have said altered the metal in some way, more brittle more likely.

So £800.00 from DVB, and the chances are your car will end up in the next hedge, tree or ditch resulting from rear wheel and centre fracture.

Don't do it guys

I must admit I've bought a couple of items from the DVB, and allthough I think their prices [email protected]@ I have trid to find parts for over a year and not managed other places. With all the wrecked cars that the insurance companies obviously throw their way, they give a choice of parts that is difficult to ignore. Only alternative is buying new parts from Lotus - which is even worse. For some types of (wear-)items that's neccesary (the only sensible thing) to do but for others it hurts too much. Wouldn't have touched the rear wheels though.

But mentioning wheels: Last spring I bought a new set for my other car - an old Marcos 2 litre - and while in the tyre-shop I discovered a set of 20 inch wheels with BMW centres, and some VERY low profile tyres of completely unknown (Asian) origin. So I asked the guy behind the counter what tyres those were and if he knew anything about their performance. Was quite surpriced then when he told me the tyres were OK on dry and good roads - if you didn't go too fast in bends, but that they were lethal on damp roads!!! Almost no grip at all!!!

I asked; how/why do you sell them? And got the simple answer: The young drivers don't care about performance as loong as their old Beemer looks more outrageous than the next guy's. No wonder a lot of youngsters with fresh drivers license and spoilered old cars end their lives in rocks sides and tree trunks.

Man, that's awful to see. It's bad enough when it's something like a Viper or an RX-7 FD, which aren't big-production cars either, but it's especially painful when you're talking about one of 10,xxx Esprits. I know some places (like the Corvette C4 ZR-1 guys) will keep track of VINs and total up how many are confirmed to have been lost. I wonder if someone has done the same for Esprits and have many are known to have gone to the junker.

Edited by JeepinMatt