free hit
counters
heater not working - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nanardos

heater not working

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Are you getting air out of the correct vents on the correct settings? If not then check the vacuum system which controls a couple of flaps in the airflow. If the air is just not getting hot then check the valve which is accessible through the front luggage area under the black cover.

I recently went through these checks myself - there is a thread on here with some photos. The biggest difference on mine was to back flush the heater by disconnecting the feed and return in the engine bay and applying a hose, took a few goes backwards and forwards but flow must have doubled at least. One of my fans was dead as well, but it still gave pretty good airflow on just one.

Also check all the thin plastic vacum pipes are connected.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Are you getting air out of the correct vents on the correct settings? If not then check the vacuum system which controls a couple of flaps in the airflow. If the air is just not getting hot then check the valve which is accessible through the front luggage area under the black cover.

I recently went through these checks myself - there is a thread on here with some photos. The biggest difference on mine was to back flush the heater by disconnecting the feed and return in the engine bay and applying a hose, took a few goes backwards and forwards but flow must have doubled at least. One of my fans was dead as well, but it still gave pretty good airflow on just one.

Do you know which thread? My 85 Turbo heater works intermittently so i guess it must be the valve, but am not sure where to find it. Is there a diagram of the heating system in the parts manual as I cant find much about it in the workshop manual?

There are a couple of valves for the vacuum actuators. They are attached to the front of the heater box (when viewed from the drivers seat) under the dashboard - on my 83 if I take the radio out I can see them through the slot.

Did you manage to sort your heater? as i have a similar problem, i think mine is to do with a valve mounted under the dash above the drivers footwell, does anybody know what this actually does? as i think (by looks) it looks like a self acting thermostatic valve with a capillery connected to a sensor on the heater matrix and i suspect this is stuck shut. I`m thinking yours could be a similar fault!

Did you manage to sort your heater? as i have a similar problem, i think mine is to do with a valve mounted under the dash above the drivers footwell, does anybody know what this actually does? as i think (by looks) it looks like a self acting thermostatic valve with a capillery connected to a sensor on the heater matrix and i suspect this is stuck shut. I`m thinking yours could be a similar fault!

I havent managed to get round to it yet, and now the gear linkage is playing up as I cant get 1st & 2nd gear, so I guess the heater has become a lower priority! I'll investigate your valve however, but I cant see any reference to it in the parts manual section on the heatting system. My heater always works when I first take the car out from the garage, but only full on, and I cant then regulate the temperature of the warm air. However once I have turned engine off, when I restart the heater is always cold and cant be persuaded to give me any warm air again that trip!