free hit
counters
Will Modern Cars Become Classics - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Will Modern Cars Become Classics

The title says everything. I look at modern cars and wonder if any will become classics such as our cars. (this does not include Lotus, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Porsche)

I used to think no, but since I have seen the rear engined Audi V8 and just recently the Audi V10, I think that they should join the ranks of classics one day. They have both the looks and performance to warrant Classic Status.

I still do not think that any car made in Japan will ever achieve the real classic status. I am still not impressed with the Datsun Zs nor the GTR. They just do not have that Classic look about them.

My own opinion is that the Yanks have yet to produce a classic, but this could open a rather large can of worms, so I will not say it.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not modern i guess, but Elise S1 has i'm sure reserved it's place.

:P

So much modern stuff it so very close to something else that it will be hard for some models to stand out and be remembered for having any impact. For example, i can't tell Jags from Astons anymore unless i get close.

Sorry Nello but IMO anything that is used as a daily runner can never qualify as a future classic.

What is that car. It is obviously one that we do not or have not had in South Africa. I do not even recognize the badge.

Huge BHP has never been a ticket to be a future classic. Take the Original Elite and the Elan Sprint. Sheer beauty, and balance but not great BHP.

This can be very subjective :P . In my view any car has the chance to become a classic. Having just been to the classic car show there were lots and lots of cars that don't fit into the super car/ sports car bracket. Indeed to me it seems that more and more people these days are buying and running older cars that have somehow appealed to them over the years as a daily runner.

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

some yes, others no!!

Disagree on the daily runner comment Roger. That is like saying a MK 11 jaguar is not a classic as it was once a daily runner!!

Do however agree that modified cars seldom drop int other classic class with the exception of older ford tuned type cars (RS 2000 etc)

That slash side fiat is a design classic already by rights and will become a future classic I would have thought but it would need to be a clean unmodified one.

With regard to the original question, I suspect their are a few which will become classics. Audi TT in 30 years quite possibly, MX5 yes, subaru impreza original shape yes, evo up to VI yes afterwards, not so sure. Nissan 350Z yes Mazda RX8 not sure. List could be endless and its obviously subjective. Plus always remember that just because its a classic does not instantly make it worth loads of money!!!

There is I think a seperate thread somewhere about what constitues a classic.

My feeling is that whenever a car gets to a certain age and becomes very rare it is classified as a classic, irrespetive of the fact it was a good car or not. Condition is eveything though!

My daily runner is an Alfa Romeo GT and I have one eye on maybe keeping that long term to see if that becomes a classic. Everyone's opinion will be different on this!

Yeah...agree with Neil(s) & Cliff...any car old enough to have become rarely seen in good condition is "a classic" if its in fairly good condition. Nothing to do with being a daily driver or not.....indeed my Esprit was my daily runner through my first two years of ownership - its only had 18 years as a cossetted prima dona!

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Sorry, I think you chaps are getting a little confused between collectible and Classic.

"CLASSIC". Of acknowledged excellence. Outstandingly important. Having historic associations.

I agree with you about the Jaguar MK11, but I would include this marque along with Lotus, Aston Martin etc., whereby they were already classics when the left the factory. Not modern run of the mill Jags though. Cannot ever see those achieving classic status.

Now Mini's, there's make is one marque whereby certain models are collectable and some are classic. The early 850's are collectable, but the original Coopers, the 997, 998 and the 1275 are classic.

One make that was sold in huge numbers and became a classic is the Citroen DS, unlike the 2CV which is collectible.

I also own an MGB, but I would never call this car a classic, only collectible. Perhaps it has something to do with a car's rarity that helps push it into the Classic niche.

That all makes sense Roger and is easy to agree with. Trouble is very few of the population restict their use of the word to such an extent so its become a ubiquitous term for anything old. We need a new word for what you describe !

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Jaguar XJ6 (X300) are already starting to become classics as they are the very last of the straight 6 engined Jags. XJS have also started on this road to, will the XK8?

I also have a Honda Prelude VTEC, there rare (most are 2.0 cars), fast, and very underrated but I doubt it will ever attain classic status as they were never a sought after car. Plus mines now an old banger!

They reackon the Fiat Coupe as above will be a classic.

Trouble is really modern cars are highly technical and will cost mucho money to keep on the road,

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I think my current daily run around will become a classic, because they make so few of the GT and after just a week with it I can honestly say it is so pretty and drives superbly!

Funnily enough I get more comments around here in that than the Lotus!!

scirocco-1.jpg

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

As the next generation comes along the rules change. The classic that are highly regarded now (like the DB5, E-type, Ferrari 275 GTB) maybe regarded as fuddy duddy, rather like we see cars from the 20s and 30s. Classic in the future will mean Audi Quattro, 911 Turbo, Lamborghini Countach LP400, Golf GT1 Mk1, Ferrari 288 GTO and F40 and probably early fibre glass 308 GTBs and I'm sure Lotus Esprits.

I think Roger was talking about cars a bit newer than those. Rather, I think he as talking about cars being made now not 30 or 40 years ago. I think we can assume that any Lotus, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, Maserati, Aston, Morgan or TVR will be regarded as classics. What about the more mundane vehicles?

I think the new Range Rover (as well as the original)

Seun-Patrick_143_2008-land-rover-range-rover-20207921-E.jpg

the Cadillac XLR

Cadillac-XLR1.jpg

Dodge Viper

06dodge-viper-srt10.jpg

The new Mini

Sara_Jean_Underwood_Mini.JPG

Toyota Prius

2006_toyota_prius.jpg

And, maybe, the original Honda Insight

honda_insight.jpg

Corvette ZR1

2009-corvette-zr1-official.jpg

Alfa 8C

AlfaRomeoC8.jpg

M3 CSL

bmw-m3-csl-parked-1_57.jpg

Mercedes SLS AMG

2009_09_15_Mercedes_SLS_AMG_TOP.jpg

Focus RS

focus-rs-dec06-01.jpg

Im sure there's more I can't think of right now.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

A couple I'd add to the list are the Alfasud (if there are any good ones left - actually I know of one!), collectable and a classic? How about the Ferrari 308 GT4 - mid engine 2+2 (seen that somewhere else recently????!!) and the wedgy 70s style is starting to look cool (love the dash too).

The Alfa 156 may become a classic for the sheer beauty of its design - every detail on it delights.

S1 Eise and Exige are, of course, already modern classics.

Maser 3200? The car that revived Maserati and a thing of beauty.

BMW E30 M3.

Porsche 964.

Honda Integra.

There is I think a seperate thread somewhere about what constitues a classic.

My feeling is that whenever a car gets to a certain age and becomes very rare it is classified as a classic, irrespetive of the fact it was a good car or not. Condition is eveything though!

Everyone's opinion will be different on this!

I give you the Trabant Limo, limited edition.biggrin.gif

Trabant_Limousine_front_corner1.JPG

There's a car in that picture, Trevor???w00t.gif

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

The real problem will be keeping "future classics" running.....all those electronics failing, no chipsets left, need a lot of sophisticated technology to get them working. Same goes for modern racing machinery..without the right laptop and software, can't even start them up. Sadly, I see the "Classic" and even "Collectible" menu dwindling...unlikely to be readily fettled by the likes of us.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

This is a friend of mine, Her name is Sara Underwood, and She was Playboy's playmate of the year in 2007. She is actually really tiny, and a full A cup in bust size. Playboy gave that mini to her as part of the award package. She has since changed the license plate to a regular one, here in California, as she got tired of all the attention it drew. She's actually super sweet, and totally down to earth. My Wife and I lived with her and her boyfriend, Paul Scharf at the Horizon Hotel he owned for several months in 2007(classic, mid century modern hotel in Palm Springs, built in the 50's, versus a "collectible" hotel :(

Lol - yep thats my Fiat Coupe but its the 20VT LE or Limited Edition version.

They are not just made an LE by a badge though - They came in 5 specific colours that all had standard separately coloured Titanium Mirrors/Rear

Light surrounds and dash strip. Also Red and Black leather Recaros, 6-speed box, Push-Button starter, Brembo's and numbered plaque.

The Coupe club believe theres only about 70 LE's left in the UK. The 5-pot Turbo'ed in-line is super creamy and sounds like the old Quattro unit but better!

I love it!

Edited by nello