free hit
counters
Exhaust colour query - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Exhaust colour query

IMG_0848.jpg

Hi all I put in a mixture of Gull biofuel which is a clean performance fuel rated at approx 99 octane and 98 BP in the tank before doing a track day last Saturday. about a 50:50 mix

The car ran almost faultless all day. It wasnt till the next morning I decided to check the car over and see if everything was ok. The colour of the exhausts are typically dark inside from running normally slightly rich. This is because the car is running a red race chip. I know cars using racing fuel (avgas) etc, their exhaust tips inside and out are white also, but has it leaned out while on the track? As said inside is normally the darker shade you can see in there. Should I be concerned? I am waiting to use up the rest of the fuel in the tank before switching back to 100% 98BP and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise I have no idea?

350.gifNo.23

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting............ I think I might direct that question to the factory, I'd be interested in the responce myself so let us know.

Roger :(

Did yer win?

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Kylie: as my fuel-sender problem is sorted now , I could refill the whole system. What means I'm back on my E85-trial. Can make some exhaust pictures (as I've done just a little over 100km under alcohol by now..). Berlin city motorways are fast, but probably not the same stresses as a track day. So it will need a while. First i will make an short inspection of the spark-plugs tomorrow, to have a comparison with the petrol use since the car was back on the road after rebuild.

The dark black powder coat in your exhaust tips look more like burned oil. Or the time of Ethanol fuel use after all the years with petrol was just not long enough, to recolor the whole exhaust... ? What do your spark-plugs look like !? Those should look clean (like new) now, especially after the high engine loads of track use.

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

If I was doing that I'd hook an A:F meter up to the car and check double-double.

Have you got OBDII software for the car ? If that were a 4 banger you could just freescan it and be happy.

Cant see why it would take the soot off though unless unburned components are cleaning it ?? being a biofuel I assume there is some sort of ethanol / similar in there ?

Never knew cars could sue biofuel without some modification :(.

facebook = [email protected]

Being a clean fuel I'd expect less soot which seems to be what your looking at, however this is just an assumption, I have no scientific knowledge to back this up!

Hi Simon, I was hoping this was the case and will put 98 back in there and see if that changes things. I would normally just put the cleaner stuff in there, but work pays for my BP98 so I am not complaining :(

350.gifNo.23

think Kylie has her handheld-scanner in use -as usual !?

..and from my side: yes, the Esprit can do it ! 10% is officially legalized by Lotus (see owners manual !) ..and my first 'evolution' step was *caught in the loop* injection timing modulation. Next step is now original injection harness , but with higher rated injectors.

Interesting............ I think I might direct that question to the factory, I'd be interested in the responce myself so let us know.

Roger :(

Did yer win?

Against the other V8's eeeeerm NO :) These guys are regular track day hooners, one V8 running stickies the other guy almost a professional driver. I managed to keep them in my sights but engine preservation is always on the back of my mind ;-) (need to also drive it home). Awesome day though few pics.

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

Yes a type 49

IMG_0783.jpg

[quote name='G

350.gifNo.23

Is that Paul Wilton in the 2eleven?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Kylie, if you refill your car on that station -does it smell like a whiskey distillery out of your fuel pot? If not , it's probably not an ethanol fuel.... . On cold start-up you will get a lot of steam out of the exhaust pipes, a lot more than on a normal 'cold morning' start.. . And if the fuel heats up in traffic jams it smells a little like a pub from the rear of the car, that together with the windows down makes some interesting comments on a police trafic control/inspection.. :(

Edited by G

heehaw! Kylie is one of the classical elegant Lady's :( ....I use a bag with powdered coffee to get an exiting smell into the cabin. It is stored in the footwell on passenger side, next to the heater outlet. Works good in the morning on the way to the university to have such impressions in the nose :)

BILD0584.JPGBILD0585.JPG not that much different to yours, what do you think ?!

The plugs fitted on the rebuild look good, as you would expect it after just 5197.6km [as per today..] in use BILD0586.JPG

so go and check your spark-plugs, to see what's going on with your engine..

Edited by G

the running distance with ethanol was to short by now ...as I think.

There is no sign for 'overheating' in the combustion chambers, or with other words no melting-spots on the contacts, due to 'lean' combustion. Interestingly I've not seen an lower O2-sensor reading on my way to the university yesterday. The OBD showed an all fine *max.-reading of 0.94V* on WOT and boost with spinning wheel on the motorway. Compared with the max. of 0.6-0.7V as per the first test runs over the past years it is an notable difference (pre rebuild, pre *caught in the loop*-mod.. -I run the car with the original injector harness now) . The ECM was able to regulate it this time ,without loosing to much from the injection timing. Wounder why that happened, as there is no technical change compared to the past years (with the difference of an slightly reconditioned engine, of course..)

The light white powder in the additional-tailpipes is mostly our typical road dirt. But i know that you get notable grey/white coloring on longer terms if you use ethanol/E85 fuels. As that is what I have seen in the past years... . Those plugs in the picture have been in contact with E85 mixtures just a little over 150km now. There is no coating on them. The tailpipes look a little different, maybe due to the fact that the construction is different to Kylie's -there is no perforated bypassing way !? So all blows straight ahead out of the pipe..

Kylie -how do your sparkplugs look like ? BILD0587.JPG This is the group of 8 old plugs from my engine (in use for 70.000km -or more, who knows it...) ,; together with some old ones from Mike's engine rebuilds. Have fitted my old 8 now, to see what those look like after the next 150km-200km. The other ones will be in use too...

Edited by G

those are the same plugs as in #14 BILD0598.JPG ....around 90km later. You can see the differences: the carbon deposits from rich petrol & oil are gone -instead of that it gets that clearer grey/white covering.

Kylie -I guess this is what your plugs will look like on the inspection.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gunter sorry for the late reply. I havnt checked the plugs as I spoke to two other people using the biofuel in their V8's and got the same response. So at this stage I am happy to know its a common thing amoungst owners down under. I am loving all the info you posted up. Always interesting to read. Cheers for that. :sofa:

350.gifNo.23

you can follow the experiments in the *my evil engineering..* thing , up her in the board.

It is really freezing out here over night (in the minus