free hit
counters
Replace or Rebuild - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
russyb

Replace or Rebuild

A couple of weeks ago my V8 died on me, I was lucky enough to pull across 3 lanes of traffic without collecting anyone!

It seems that the Cam Belt tensioner had come lose which seems to have caused some nasty damage! I have been advised that it may be terminal and that a replacement engine is the best option.

I was wondering if anyone else had seen this sort of problem before and what the best options are - replacement or rebuild?

The car had its belts done in 2004 and has done about 7000 miles since then.

Cheers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Firstly try Lotus and who ever replaced the cam belt to see what they can offer in term of warranty or good will guesture.

If all else fails then Garry Kemp used to have a 2001 engine for sale for

Guest Chelsea Martyn

If you go for a replacement engine then ensure it's a late enough build model that it has Hylomar sealed liners. Sods law that you buy a replacement and then that goes if the liners fail with the Loctite sealer etc.

If not go for a rebuild. JCT500 Leeds or Nick Whale have good reputations for reliable rebuilt engines.

However, I'm with Dave on this, the garage that done the work in 2004 may be negligent in the tensioner coming loose. Try that avenue before spending hard earned pennies.