free hit
counters
v8 se or v8 gt ? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
braziers

v8 se or v8 gt ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Steve,

Yours is an SE. I knew the previous owner Rob Baker. The GT has a larger transome at the back whereas the SE has the smaller one like on yours. If you want to see a GT rear transome in same colour then there's a picture on my site www.espritperformance.com

Also the SE came with the big rear spoiler as standard wheras any GT's that you see with a rear spoiler were fitted afterwards or an optional extras.

David

The GT was supposed to be the stripped down version of the SE.

However, pricing was such that if you bought a GT and then asked the factory to fit the SE bits before delivery, it still worked out cheaper than buying an SE.

So, most GT's have the wing, AC, and full leather interior all of which were standard on the SE but extras on the GT.

Apart from that bigger transom on the rear, they are very difficult to tell apart

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Go as far back on your car as you can, then as high as you can (not including the spoiler) - The 'tail' which runs the width of the car at it's highest point above the reg plate and lights is the transom, yours sticks out a bit more than others, it's an aerodynamic aid.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Steve's doesn't because it's an SE. Mine's a GT and sticks out further as this was supposed to be the only spoiler/aerofoil on the car. The big wrap over spoiler was an option for the GT. If you look at the S4/S4s/GT3 rear spoiler/transome, they are the same (larger and more angled up).

David

it's an aerodynamic aid.

Yes, I believe it offers 0.00000000000000000.03 of a gram down force at 213 MPH

Only marginaly less than the wing. But much more asthetically pleasing.

"Wing Man Roger"

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

The big wrap over spoiler was an option for the GT.

No, no it wasn't not at all. No V8GT left the production line with a spoiler fitted. In fact the factory recommended not fitting the spoiler to GTs (or any cars with the extended transom) as there's a possibilty of causing front-end lift at high speed with both devices combined.

Dealers could purchase the V8SE spoiler as a part number and have it painted and fitted at their own local bodyshop simply for asthetic reasons or at the request of the customer, but it was never a factory approved option for the V8GT.

Graham,

I didn't say it left factory with this spoiler just said it was an option. Whether this was a dealer only fit, what's the point of splitting hairs?

Every owner would have had to purchase from a dealer new, so they could have added it to their shopping list (options). I don't think they even gave it a thought as to who fitted it as long as it was done when they collected it.

Regards,

David Walters

GTs are much quicker than SEs 0-60 4.1 0-100 9.5 per Autocar whereas SE are about 0-60 4.5 0-100 10.5

I have owned both and teh GT does feel quicker.

but if you believe in printed figures out of magazines (and the Lotus books too.) :

the GT is less in top-speed. ..not that it really matters, as gearing & wheels and engine-power is the same (and the RPM-limmiter even sits higher on the GT [7400] !)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..