free hit
counters
I need 430BHP, any ideas? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I need 430BHP, any ideas?

Hi everyone,

Iam wondering what's the easiest way of achieving 430BHP? Iam trying to beat a guy I know who's just beaten me on a rolling road day in another car (I won't disclose make of car).

I have boost controller which is set to normal 0.75BAR.

I ran 0.79 BAR and got 365BHP. I have standard paper filter and Cats pipes on.

Iam still waiting for my cat bypass pipes and K&N filters.

What do you think these would add and also is it safe to take boost to 0.85BAR?

When I had my S4s, it had standard ECU and all I did was to put a K&N filter and Cat bypass pipe on. It ran 333BHP which is a 33BHP increase!

Do you think at 0.85BAR and K&N + cat bypass pipe I'll be pushing 400-425BHP perhaps.

Any one fitted a PUK red race chip?

Upgraded turbos, pricey but are they worth it?

Chargecooling was my next project but it's becoming too much hassle with other things going on.

This is only a rolling road test. I don't want to run my car with this much BHP as I want to save the gearbox. I think the car's quick enough as standard.

That's the beauty about the boost controller because I have 4 settings. At the flick of a switch I can choose how my car behaves. Lately with the cold icy weather we've been having, I have my boost almost switch off. traction is great, you too should try it!!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would expect Mr Sekinger to reply to your plight.

Turbos and chargecooling would be the route I would be thinking of but you lose boot space.

OR

Water injection - or even nitrous oxide injection as Paul says...dunt this also have the effect of cooling charge as well ?

Pray tell more about the boost controller...I've always wanted the ability to completely shut the turbo off (in effect keeping the wastegate open) but not seriously thought of it yet.

Sounds good though, there are times (when it's slippy and when I just dont want the kick in the back) when I don't want boost or very little.

facebook = [email protected]

*moved to v8 technical*

http://www.glcforum.com/ukesprit/forums/in...?showtopic=2918

^ please read.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

downside of the v8 is the need for 2 of everything!!! If you went water injection would you need 2 pumps???

Definately need some sort of additional cooling.

how about a homemade chargecooler. you could use and oil cooler rad or small water rad and build an alloy box round it??? all you need then is a pump and a rad up front. Easy hmmm

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

downside of the v8 is the need for 2 of everything!!! If you went water injection would you need 2 pumps???

Definately need some sort of additional cooling.

how about a homemade chargecooler. you could use and oil cooler rad or small water rad and build an alloy box round it??? all you need then is a pump and a rad up front. Easy hmmm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you do not need 2 pumps, A single pump with a twin nozzle up-grade is what you need. I'm running twin 175ml nozzles with a 150psi pump. (the kit is ~$400 USD)

Up-grade your turbos you will never look back, I up-graded my turbos and waist gate actuators to 16psi actuators, along with the "red" ECU... The car is so much faster then it was stock or even when I just had the ECU it's not even funny. Floor the car at 70mph and it starts smoking the tires down the highway.

Edited by FastMatt
(I won't disclose make of car).

Why not? :unsure:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I am wondering what's the easiest way of achieving 430BHP?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The easiest? Buy a 2006 Corvette and tie an anchor to the rear axle.

Seriously, what is the purpose of this hooliganism? Why try to turn your car into something it is not?

-Dave

All Cows Eat Grass

I would expect Mr Sekinger to reply to your plight.

Turbos and chargecooling would be the route I would be thinking of but you lose boot space.

OR

Water injection - or even nitrous oxide injection as Paul says...dunt this also have the effect of cooling charge as well ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

My question was how to? Not why?

It is only a question Iam thinking out loud not to whether it's sensible or not.

Iam looking for replies to answer my question, not replies to start a debate.

Thanks,

Dave

The easiest?  Buy a 2006 Corvette and tie an anchor to the rear axle.

Seriously, what is the purpose of this hooliganism?  Why try to turn your car into something it is not?

-Dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Mike,

Your comments are very good and informative. I will have a think as to whether to even attempt to take to 430BHP.

There's so much to consider, no point in cutting corners is there!

Your comments are very good and informative. I will have a think as to whether to even attempt to take to 430BHP.

There's so much to consider, no point in cutting corners is there!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had also had some thoughts to making a kit commercially available without killing the boot space. The difficulty is that the charge-cooler capacity needs to be quite high due the the volume and velocity of the air. Go too small and you don

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

You need one of these: http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EOtherstuf...spritGT300.html

hth! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great idea apart from the fact that it is a non-road legal race car, and a 4-cylinder, and in Australia, and 65K pounds..... yep, aprt from that it

Hi everyone,

Any one fitted a PUK red race chip?

Upgraded turbos, pricey but are they worth it?

Chargecooling was my next project but it's becoming too much hassle with other things going on.

Hi Dave,

I have the P.U.K. Red Race chip, twin intercoolers (Claudius) and took off the mufflers (still have the cats attached, though). Here is my dyno run

As you can see, I made ~350HP at the rear wheels. What this translates into at the flywheel, I don't know (and will not debate whether it is a static figure or variable depending upon output). I'll let you know whether a de-cat makes a difference, but I have to say I am rather pleased. I like FastMatt's turbo and wastegate upgrades and would like to learn more of them (turbo and wastegate manufaturers, mods needed to fit, etc.).

Stay well,

Paul

'01 Esprit - Intercooled, Chipped & Quaifed

'07 Hummer H3 - 315's & Adventure Pkg

[email protected]

Hi Dave,

I have the P.U.K. Red Race chip, twin intercoolers (Claudius) and took off the mufflers (still have the cats attached, though). Here is my dyno run

As you can see, I made ~350HP at the rear wheels. What this translates into at the flywheel, I don't know (and will not debate whether it is a static figure or variable depending upon output). I'll let you know whether a de-cat makes a difference, but I have to say I am rather pleased. I like FastMatt's turbo and wastegate upgrades and would like to learn more of them (turbo and wastegate manufaturers, mods needed to fit, etc.).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UP-Grade info

http://www.dynamicracing.com/customer/home...b0e47b1a6cce996

This upgrade sounds/looks identical to the solution that TurboTechnics prepared for me. They machine out both the turbine and compressor housings to allow for the install of the optimal trims (55 compressor and 78 exhaust) without totally screwing the compressor efficiency. The TurboTechnics upgrade also includes the 360 deg bearing and upgraded (18psi) actuator. I can dig out the customer build part number if anyone is interested.

These hybrids are the best compromise using the existing housings - but I don

Edited by mike_sekinger

This upgrade sounds/looks identical to the solution that TurboTechnics prepared for me. They machine out both the turbine and compressor housings to allow for the install of the optimal trims (55 compressor and 78 exhaust) without totally screwing the compressor efficiency. The TurboTechnics upgrade also includes the 360 deg bearing and upgraded (18psi) actuator. I can dig out the customer build part number if anyone is interested.

These hybrids are the best compromise using the existing housings - but I don

These up-grades i think are a bit larger then what you used. This up-grade of the T-25 I have used to up-grade FWD turbo Eclipse T25 and made 342 HP to the wheels. Not at the crank, but at the wheels. Thy still spool very fast, I get peek boost right at 3500rpm.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I beg to differ on the upgrade size. The housings are the very same as the standard T25s (A/R.48) and have at best been machined to accept the large trim wheels.

You can force them to produce the flow necessary for higher BHP, but they are running outside of their optimium efficiency. You can get the standard T25 to produce much higher BHP, but then you have the big problem with controlling the IAT.

This upgrade is the best compromise for the V8, but the 280 BHP per turbo, is quoted based on the compressor operating in an efficient range and is more than enough for a power output of up-to 500BHP

I beg to differ on the upgrade size. The housings are the very same as the standard T25s (A/R.48) and have at best been machined to accept the large trim wheels.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then you have your trims mixed up then, because I know for a FACT that the trim of this compressor wheel in NOT a 55 trim that you say are in your turbos.

There are allot of compressor wheels from allot of different turbo manufactures that will fit in this stock T-25 housing.

Just to list a few

T28

big T28

T-3 50 trim

T-3 55 trim

T-3 60 trim

T-3 super 60 trim

T-4 E40

GT-28RS

HT-12

CT-12

CT-26

Mitsu 16G

Mitsu big 16G

Mitsu EVO 16G

the list goes on....

Edited by FastMatt
Then you have your trims mixed up then, because I know for a FACT that the thrim of this compressor wheel in NOT a 55 trim.

There are allot of compressor wheels from allot of different turbo manufactures that will fit in this stock housing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course - this is the fun in building hybrids..... but.... given the fact that the compressor housings are the same (read small), there is only so much that can be done to produce a maximum efficient flow of air.

Looking at the DynamicRacing site, they are saying the same. The turbos can be max

Of course - this is the fun in building hybrids..... but.... given the fact that the compressor housings are the same (read small), there is only so much that can be done to produce a maximum efficient flow of air.

Looking at the DynamicRacing site, they are saying the same. The turbos can be max

Don