free hit
counters
I need 430BHP, any ideas? - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I need 430BHP, any ideas?

Hi everyone,

Iam wondering what's the easiest way of achieving 430BHP? Iam trying to beat a guy I know who's just beaten me on a rolling road day in another car (I won't disclose make of car).

I have boost controller which is set to normal 0.75BAR.

I ran 0.79 BAR and got 365BHP. I have standard paper filter and Cats pipes on.

Iam still waiting for my cat bypass pipes and K&N filters.

What do you think these would add and also is it safe to take boost to 0.85BAR?

When I had my S4s, it had standard ECU and all I did was to put a K&N filter and Cat bypass pipe on. It ran 333BHP which is a 33BHP increase!

Do you think at 0.85BAR and K&N + cat bypass pipe I'll be pushing 400-425BHP perhaps.

Any one fitted a PUK red race chip?

Upgraded turbos, pricey but are they worth it?

Chargecooling was my next project but it's becoming too much hassle with other things going on.

This is only a rolling road test. I don't want to run my car with this much BHP as I want to save the gearbox. I think the car's quick enough as standard.

That's the beauty about the boost controller because I have 4 settings. At the flick of a switch I can choose how my car behaves. Lately with the cold icy weather we've been having, I have my boost almost switch off. traction is great, you too should try it!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Dave..thought you knew my car has the ECU Upgrade..no Box just Pipes and K & N's etc...yes much better...{Plan to go Nuts when my leg will let me)

Have my set of Forged Pistons and Inter cooler sitting here right now..Hybrid turbo's sorted ready as well...plan to rebuild strong Gearbox first... looking for more than 430bhp...around 500...5th gear was such nonsense...

[email protected] or 07976 609881

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well guys after the discussion today I could not wait, I drove the car down to El Paso TX to Evolution racing and Dynoed it today (100 mile drive each way). I just got back.

The car made 502.2 RWHP and 412.1 RWQT (this at the WHEELS!)

Those were STD HP #'s with smoothing on 1 (these are the highest HP#'s you will get from a DynoJet, this is what is posted on the NET most of the time)

In SAE HP #'s with smoothing on 5 (these are the lowest HP #'s a DynoJet will give) It Made

494.7RWHP and 406.7 RWTQ

This is with gutted cats and the STOCK Exhaust!

Either way it's a lot of power for less then $4000 in mods!!!

Turbos/ WG's $2699

ECU $850

Water/Meth kit $399

K&N filters $99

Gutted cats FREE

I

The car made 502.2 RWHP and 412.1 RWQT  (this at the WHEELS!)

I

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Fanastic figures - allowing only 10% drivetrain losses that would be 550BHP at the crank, with totally standard internals !

I got to move to the states, you must have some very special air over there

Edited by FastMatt

Hi there, noticed your quote about dumping methynol into your car. I read in the lLotus literature where it says NOT to use methynol based fuels in your injection system and it will destroy it. Have a look in your owners manual, it says it there. I haven't a clue why Iam just telling you what it says.

I had water injection on y previous car with good results but this wasn't injection. I decided not to fit water injection because of what I read.

Those results are amazing, I will take note and plane my list of mods now.

I have a sports exhaust with Cats running standard boost which came out at 365BHP.

I have just picked up my Green Cotton Filters yesterday, just waiting for my racing CATS or decat pipes (which comes first).

I plan initially to run 0.85BAR just for a short run.

Should I get 400BHP with these mods above?

Where did you get you water injection from?

I don
Hi there, noticed your quote about dumping methynol into your car. I read in the lLotus literature where it says NOT to use methynol based fuels in your injection system and it will destroy it. Have a look in your owners manual, it says it there. I haven't a clue why Iam just telling you what it says.

I had water injection on y previous car with good results but this wasn't injection. I decided not to fit water injection because of what I read.

Those results are amazing, I will take note and plane my list of mods now.

I have a sports exhaust with Cats running standard boost which came out at 365BHP.

I have just picked up my Green Cotton Filters yesterday, just waiting for my racing CATS or decat pipes (which comes first).

I plan initially to run 0.85BAR just for a short run.

Should I get 400BHP with these mods above?

Where did you get you water injection from?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not putting methynol in my gas tank and running it threw my fuel pump and injectors, I'm injecting it with a watter/methynol injection kit.

http://www.dynamicracing.com/customer/prod...&cat=184&page=1

I know of a 2003 car owned by a guy in HI that made 396 RWHP with the stock turbo running at 1.15 BAR (peek), no cats, strate pipes for Exhaust, And a custom tune running 12.2 A/F across the board. The guys Goes by "AllenLambo" he owned a few Lambo's. Now remember that

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

...So why is it that everybody thinks the lotus cast pistons are so week?

Knock is what brakes pistons NOT boost.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The main reason for the concern is that they melt :lol: .... Lotus themselves have seen many piston failures on the V8 engine. Remember, Lotus is specifying parts that are good enough to meet the performance, reliability and cost parameters. This means they are specifying the absolute minimum to meet those criteria.

It is generally accepted that cheap cast pistons are not suitable for high boost applications. Okay 1.2 bar is not particularly high boost, but without intercooling, it is potential deadly to the stock pistons.

Many people are very keen to retain an element of reliability......

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

A lot of info here. I just skimmed this thread, but wanted to give some input.

To get 450 HP is actually pretty simple. Just change the ecu to mine or marcuses. Then change the waste gates to 15 lb or something. I know about several cars running this exact configuration. I also know about some cars that have tried 18 lb springs which has proofed fatal.

I know that after 500 HP there are other factors that can effect the engine such as the need of forged pistons, new studs, and new main bearings. Yes the mains are too soft to support much over 500HP and need to be replaced with harder bearings. However, everyone knows about the pistons or thru bolts. I know this from real experience and the bearings was the first to suffer not the pistons. No I never splattered my engine over the pavement or ever blew my engine up. I have attended many race events with no major failures with 500HP.

I was running my car with +500HP for over a year without any issues. However, I opted to rebuild the engine before increasing the power even further.

The good news is that with either the PUK ecu or mine the car runs very rich. Maybe even too rich, but I rather have it that way than blowing up the cast stock pistons. There have been many requests to increase the rpm limit or lean out the fuel curves.

Driveability at 500HP is also another experience. It will compare to driving the car on ice all the time as you get beyond 450HP.

I would actually be more concerned about the transmission or clutch than the engine at 500HP. This is where my catastrophic failure occured during my speed trials.

Hope this little info helps

Johan

I know about several cars running this exact configuration. I also know about some cars that have tried 18 lb springs which has proofed fatal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was the car run on plane pump gas or was there a water/meth kit present?

The fatal one used no water injection whatsoever. Just 18lb springs, exhaust, ECU, reflowed TEC turbos. Blew a hole through a piston 3 months later.

My car is using 18 lb springs as well during normal driving and 20 lb during racing with propane and NOS injection. Of course I also have a custom bottom end and transmission as well.

Matt, in your case I feel you have a pretty good setup unless you run out of water all suddenly.

Johan

OK I'm a 4 pot owner but I am curious about the pistons. How -easy- is it to source forged ones as I have never seen them advertised anywhere. Isn't there a surface treatment for the piston tops like the Keronite they use on the forged ones that will help prevent them from melting?

Also, take it easy in 5th gear as it will simply fall off.

broken%20shafts.jpg

Dereks gearbox upgrade surely is a must for diehard modders. Cheaper than a rebuilt motor anyway.

Hi Dave,

actually its quite easy to extract more HP from your V8-TT engine.

You need the following parts:

- high flow K&N air filters or similar

- Red race ECU

- proper wastegate capsules (the ones we have ;o)

- de-cat pipes or free flow metal cats

You will find all the parts on our website: www.PUKesprit.de

Set the new wastegate capsules to 0.35 bar base setting.

With this setup you will get 0.9-1.0 bar max. boost and the desired power for a short period (before MAT increases and the ECU will retard boost and ignition). If you like to get the new found power for sustained periods you should think about lowering the MAT. Intercoolers or water injection is the way to go.

Please keep in mind that you will end up with 430HP or even more BUT you will also have to think about the other mechanical part of the engine and tranny (= pistons, head studs, tranny !). Otherwise you will end up like the chap who extracted 500+ HP with a mechanically stock engine ... this may be a real risc if you plan to actually use that power !

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

). Otherwise you will end up like the chap who extracted 500+ HP with a mechanically stock engine ... this may be a real risc if you plan to actually use that power !

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya it would stink to have a permanent smile like me plastered on your face every time you drive the car.

I use that power every time I drive the car.

Ya it would stink to have a permanent smile like me plastered on your face every time you drive the car.

I use that power every time I drive the car.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we'd all like to hope that everything will hold together at that sort of power output - I for one just can't afford the risk!

With 500 rwhp, I think I'd be laughing hysterically! My 3 year old son got me to play the dyno run at least 10 times so he could see the flame out at the end!

OK I'm a 4 pot owner but I am curious about the pistons. How -easy- is it to source forged ones as I have never seen them advertised anywhere. Isn't there a surface treatment for the piston tops like the Keronite they use on the forged ones that will help prevent them from melting?

Also, take it easy in 5th gear as it will simply fall off.

broken%20shafts.jpg

Dereks gearbox upgrade surely is a must for diehard modders. Cheaper than a rebuilt motor anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Your 4-pot SE already has very good forged Mahle pistons installed from factory ! No need for changing these ... ;o)

Marcus

Marcus

Dave:

Spend the money on the spacer. What's the spacer? The spacer is the part of the car between the steering wheel and the driver's seat. After you improve this dramatically, tell the other guy to come to a track day with you on a road course and embarrass him there. :lol:

If that doesn't work....

Try Extreme Esprit's (www.ExtremeEsprit.com) race ECU upgrade then contact Marcus (http://freudhoefer.de/lotus/esprit/) for some 12 pound waste gate cans, get a set of K&N air filters(www.JAEParts.com), take out your catalytic converters and add a 3" inch exhaust from the turbos back. At some point get your check book ready for forged pistons(www.JAEParts.com), intercooler(www.LotusPBC.com), yada, yada, yada.

Lots of people in turbo 911s, Corvette ZO6s, Ferrari 360s have more horsepower then I do and I love passing them on the track!

Feff

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not putting methynol in my gas tank and running it threw my fuel pump and injectors, I'm injecting it with a watter/methynol injection kit.

http://www.dynamicracing.com/customer/prod...&cat=184&page=1

I know of a 2003 car owned by a guy in HI that made 396 RWHP with the stock turbo running at 1.15 BAR (peek), no cats, strate pipes for Exhaust, And a custom tune running 12.2 A/F across the board. The guys Goes by "AllenLambo" he owned a few Lambo's. Now remember that

'03.5 Final Edition Esprit ~ 5.7lbs/hp

mildly modded - 430rwhp, 353rwtq