free hit
counters
Engine block REPAIR? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine block REPAIR?

FSReric

Hi there.

I just bought my first Esprit. 98MY V8 that has been in a bit of an accident.

It hit a mountain at about 30 on the right rear, tore up the suspension (fractured the hub carrier) and created an oil leak on the left side of the motor!

Its coming from above the oil filter and it looks as if there is a crack right about whatever (one wire) sensor is on the side of the block... oil pressure?

Is there a way for this to be fixed, or should I just find a new block, and start from scratch?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Eric

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Eric,

It might be possible to repair the block, but as a first step you would have to strip it down fully and get it professionally inspected to establish the full extent of the damage. It sounds as though a torsional force on the engine mount has fractured the outer wall of the block.

The biggest challenge is retaining the integrity of the block during the repair work. The whole case would need to be checked for straightness, including the line boring of the crank mains.

Having been in this position myself, I asked Lotus for their advice; the answer was simple - they have never repaired a block in the past and had no trusted sources for such a task. There are companies that offer such services, but it would be risky as there is no guarantee of any knock-on issues with bearing wear and difficulty with sealing.

If you can source another block or complete engine, it might be the quicker/safer route.

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Can't offer any input on your engine block question but with the rear suspension taking that big of a hit be sure to replace the trailing arm to chassis pivot bolt along with any other critical fasteners. It may not be bent but it's certainly been stressed and failure later can have catastrophic consequences.

I've personally seen a similar hit repaired by a Lotus dealer who didn't replace the bolt and it broke later under normal driving condtions. You can see the stress fracture in the bolt.

brokenbolt004.jpg

1995 S4s

Just for fun, here are some images of a "block repair" which was not well executed.... :animier:

On the surface.....

f_h7e4v3dg0e1m_dc31656.jpg

... and underneath....

f_h7e4v3dg0e1m_d3b39d8.jpg

I just can

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

Thank you for all your input.

I have already begun ordering all new hardware for both sides of the rear suspension because i was worried of exactly what you are saying "lotus4s".

As for the block: That is what I was afraid of, and now seeing a picture (of what I presume to be the right hand side) of the motor in a similar location... Im pretty sure that is where mine is cracked. Do you have any pictures of the left hand side of the block (bare), right near the oil pressure switch? I'm trying to get a better idea of what it looks like before I pull the motor out.

If its where i think it is, it cracked right on the galley that feeds oil from the pump to the filter.

Hi Eric,

The damaged images are of the rh side.

This is the bare block from the lh side:

f_fskgtxdgfinm_8f30643.jpg

The three legs of the engine mount are located around the outside of the oil filter housing.

Cheers,

Mike S

Eric,

Like said before, it can be repaired but will need to be done by a competent shop. My suggestion would be to look at race engine shops. My friend in town who does Cosworth DFV engines for the old F1 cars repairs blocks all the time. Not to say it will outlast a replacement block but if one isn't available or cost prohibitive you have an option.

Best,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com