free hit
counters
Ferrari Mondial 3.2 QV Coupe - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Roger 912

Ferrari Mondial 3.2 QV Coupe

To be clear here, i'm only knocking the model. I like Ferrari (the 512BBi would be my pick if i could pick) and i have nothing against ferrari owners.

I have just always considered the Mondial to be nothing but nasty. My mates brother had one and when it rolled up with it's long slab sides and (compared to the 308) an almost complete lack of curves. If i HAD to get a cheap four seater ferrari then rather than a comprimised mid engine car i'd go for a 412, it's not pretty but it's not trying to be anything and failing.

:animier:

ferrari_412i_01242_0024_10_08_02.jpg

Ferrari%20400%20avant.JPG

Check out this one:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1124137.htm

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

OK. Point taken. It would never have been my choice of car and yes, the worst looking Ferrari ever made. The only reason that I am looking at it is that I put my 1948 MG Tc up for sale and had two offers. One was to take a 1954 Rolls Royce in Px and the other offer was to do a straight swap with the Ferrari.

The TC is in very good condition and has matching numbers. Only problem is, I do not like driving it. I can appreciate it for what it is, but nothing can ever match the feeling of driving an Esprit. Perhaps I should wait until someone offers me a straight swap with a Stevens or an Elise.

Edited by Roger 912

I'd go for the Roller or wait for the Lotus.

:thumbsup:

For illustration purposes and to end my Mondial-barge rant here is the 100% truth:

1, The 'Limo', I of course made this up.

limo-fez-six.jpg

2, The narrowboat, I slightly stretched this one but claimed it had been professionally shortened. A lie.

limo-fez.jpg

3, The GENUINE unedited picture of the car. A bit long isn't it?

mondial-orig.jpg

4, A edited shot of the car with about 6" taken off it's sills. I'm no designer but it think it looks a million times better (IMO)

mondial-chop.jpg

IMO the Mazda RX8 also suffers the same long-sill-itus, a bit more so in fact.

:animier:

This isn't a comment on the car so much as Ferrari ownership experience and is really only appicable I suppose to possibly the UK. Not sure how a Ferrari in general will be viewed in your neck of the woods but from my S. Africian colleagues stories I would have my doubts.

10 years ago one of my friends got his first Ferrari. A 355 as the weekend toy. He also had a 996 Carrera 4S as his weekday toy in amongst others in the stable. All were insured for me and free to use as much as I liked. I did almost 1.5K miles in the Ferrari over 3 years (Well it would be rude not top take him up on the offer! :sofa: ) On all the occassions I used the car I ALWAYS had a bad experience of some sort though others reaction to it. It is something I never experienced in any other car including Porsche, Aston Martin and now Lotus's. He now has a DB9 and 599 in his stable and although living much further away so I don't get to play so often it still happens only with Ferrari.

Something about it does not endear you to people who seem to resent it. Not what I've generally experienced with other smart cars which is look and appreciate. Smile, nod or photograph. My kids were much younger at the time and explaining why people were pi$$ing or gobbing on us from bus windows or hurling abuse verbally or by universal sign langauge was always difficult if not scary. If it wasn't that then it was the reaction of other nutter drivers to the car especialy the 'caps on backwards' brigade. Okay they were probably thrilled to see it but it was like playing dogems at times and then when being followed for miles it was un-nerving. I was so glad I got the whole experience out of my system when somebody else was paying. I'll never own one although I have nothing against the owners and love the cars. (Sorry for saying that on this Forum but I do. :whistle: )

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

The Mondial is a great big steaming pile of turd. Ferrari should never have made it. Design wise it's a lame duck; uninspiring and bland. If you want to get a Ferrari wait for a 308 GTB or even better (if you've got deep pockets) a 512BB.

You are all wrong. Mondial is a great car but I accept its looks are a little quirky. In general it drives better than a 308 because of the slightly longer wheelbase but has pretty much the same performance but carries more. Boots front and rear and more space in the back if there are only two of you. 25mpg 275BHP (3.2) and the 70s80s Ferrari experience with great brakes/steering and huge character from the gated gearchange. Loved mine and looking at another this weekend. Electrics are weak. 3.4 is engine out for a cambelt change but you do get 300BHP and poer steering. Comparatively cheap to run.

Trevor.

Mine on a dyno

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Errrrrr, on second thoughts I'd also think twice before getting a 308 "Why service bills? no not really"...

blink.giflaugh.gif

post45451221080179.jpg

Photo courtesy of lamborghini forum.

Hey whats wrong with this wreck? We`re getting gas back here.

I really hope that garage blew up just after that photo was taken. That is just not right... :sofa:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

They reackon the mondial will start to go up in value soon. But I do like the 412 very cool, But then I Like Bristol's (the car) not to everyones liking.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Sorry guys. I have decided to do the deal. Now, problem is, do I let the dancing donkey share the garage with the two Esprits, or do I condemn it to share with the two Mercedes. Decisions, decisions.

Start off with it in the Mercedes garage. Being Italian, it'll change sides and make its own way into the Lotus garage after a couple of years.

Have fun with your new toy. thumbsup.gif

Roger,

Car looks like a nice one as opposed to the car I went to see on saturday which was decidedly grubby compared with the sellers description of "near concourse condition". Looking at another perhaps later today.

Trevor.

I don't think it looks that bad, although to be honest i do prefer the 308/328, at the end of the day though if the looks don't bother you it's reputed to drive as nicely as any ferrari of the time and running costs are at the lower end of the ferrari spectrum

How does it compare to your Lotus's driving wise/performance wise?

Roger,

Liked the look of the third car I saw and it will now be keeping my Esprit company, or at least it will when it stops snowing and I get it home.

Trevor

post-4788-12610953537_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trevsked

Felix,

You would be welcome to have a drive. Looks like it will be the arrive and drive at Watford Exotics for the London Group.

Trevor.

:) How many in the stable now Trevor, 15/20?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Bibs,

I wish. Going to add to the collection shortly with a project car/wreck. Renault A310 with GT Pack. Sweet retro ride :)

Trevor.

Sorry guys. I have decided to do the deal. Now, problem is, do I let the dancing donkey share the garage with the two Esprits, or do I condemn it to share with the two Mercedes. Decisions, decisions.

Congrats on your new Ferrari man, enjoy her. Welcome to the club and hope to catch up with you at a couple of shows in 2010 maybe :) I am on my 4th now. Heres my current pair of ladies :thumbup:

post-9283-126118469392_thumb.jpg

post-9283-126118469781_thumb.jpg

Going to add to the collection shortly with a project car/wreck. Renault A310 with GT Pack. Sweet retro ride :)

I thought the Eclat was your project car or is it finished? Congrats on your Ferrari but I hope it's not kicking any Lotuses out of the garage!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

loose,

The Eclat is no longer my project but now belongs to the Lotus wizard, Sparky. Still keeping the Esprit and think this will always be the case.

Trevor.

Yup. Looking forward to Trevor getting bored with the Mondial... :)

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Sparky,

That's very close to libel, were it not true.

Trevor.