free hit
counters
The 1st restyled Evora? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

The 1st restyled Evora?

Al

So am I the first owner to try and restyle the Evora? :):rant:

I could say I thought maybe a little more weight saving would help, but I'd be lying. ;)

I could say I thought it had too much downforce, but I'd be lying. :X

I could say I thought I could do a better job of the aerodynamics, but I'd be lying. :no

The truth, as painful as it is to admit to is the car was not far enough into the garage when the electric door was coming down and a pointed U channel bracket just caught the trailing edge in no more just before the final door closing point. Yes, I know not the cleverest thing I have ever done, especially as I have a tight garage for this car so know things are very tight as wing mirrors come though door frame and spoiler very close when door is closing. I even have a block of wood attached to floor to drive up to to ensure this doesn't happen. Just don't ask why then....

I can tell you a few new expletives were invented last week! :animier::thumbsup::( The good news is it has broken off cleanly without damaging any other part of the car. However although spoiler will make a nice wall trophy now it is completely unrepairable so a new one is required. Cost for anybody contemplating a similar restyle is about <

post-7988-126045793083_thumb.jpg

post-7988-126045796896_thumb.jpg

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it too soon after the event to start taking the p*ss :animier:

Oh yes. Most definitely. I think I have to get the replacement fitted at least before that is allowed to happen am I not? :thumbsup:

I don't think the sight of a grown man sobbing in the driveway will ever be forgotten by the neighbours though. SWMBO's first comment was also so true - thank God it wasn't me or one of the boys that did it! :(

She then gave me a few hours space before the pi$ take started. Oh so that will be another handbag for me etc..... Why do they do it?

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

at least it now gives the wife a nice flat platform on the tailgate to rest the shopping bags on while she fumbles in her bag for the keys...

Have to admit, i kerbed the rear wheel on mine on day 4, gutted.

Cost me

construction and property consultants : My company

Not an Evora I know, but this happened to my Esprit last week, needing a new bumper. It was in the care of the garage being taken round the corner for a wheel geometry check! The other driver was at fault by the way.

000_2309.jpg

This is the second time for me - at the major service back in the summer a delivery driver reversed his truck into it - just after I'd had the call to pick it up. It needed a new bumper back then as well.

I've had the car 18 months and, touch wood, have had no scrapes or shunts whatsoever. Send it in for a service and this happens. Someone up there doesn't like me.

That looks horrible. Worse than my wee scrape. Most people don't even notice that the spoiler is missing that know the car and the those that don't probably think funny design. Doesn't seem to affect handling in the slightest even on B roads at close to 3 figures last Sunday morning on way to Knockhill.

Was the garage Murray's? It is so congested round there all the time in Sighthill.

• Gold FFM

Ouchie! Surely the limiter on the door mechanism should've stopped the door before the wing gave way? Have you suggested to Lotus that there is a design flaw with their "flimsy" wing and "weak" bonding? rolleyes.gif

Presumably the rearward visibility has now improved wink.gif

Once the new one is fitted, perhaps you'd like to donate the broken wing to TLF to use as an annual trophy ... perhaps to be awarded for most expletive-inducing self-inflicted damage tongue.gif

This is take 2 as my first attempts at replying under each of Tom's points ended up a mess so you will have to work out which bits are in reply to which yourselves!! Doh. :ph34r:

Sorry for delay Tom but been a real busy W/E and also full of dreaded cold. This point was my first thought on the night in question. However I immediately tried it and if you hold the normal strike point on the door along the bottom it actually stops and retracts very easily. Wouldn't have damaged car for sure. I even deliberately stood for the second test and allowed it to hit me no problem. Even at close to the fully closed position same thing no problem. I then tried to do the same thing holding a wood hammer handle against the points that caught my spoiler and it was impossible to stop the door. The forces were huge.

In view of the above I am glad that the thing came away when it did! No complaints there. If it had put up a bigger fight then I'd have had a damaged rear hatch , maybe rear panel and probably one or other rear wing sharp points. This photo shows how the 4 retained mounting nuts have pulled out of a resin mix that they are bedded in. Forces will have been huge as large lever effect as well right in training edge of spoiler and it was just on the edge it dug in.

post-7988-126079118948_thumb.jpg

In fact the difference in rearward vision is only marginal because the hinged engine cover is designed to be almost exactly the same height as spoiler.

The wing is about to be mounted in my garage as a reminder to my incredible stupidity. (along with bent alloys and other body parts over the last 30 years...) I did try for my 'office' in the house on kids suggestion but SWMBO does seem to think it rates so highly as we did...... Maybe I'll sneak it in quietly. :devil:

Don't know if anybody remotely interested - probably not - but the door in question is a frameless style which traditionally did not have closers fitted. Can be spotted when open as the type that stick out.

post-7988-126079116772_thumb.jpg

The other door I have is a framed type with opener and it comes down in such a way as completely clear of the car. It was only a few years ago when getting a new roller shutter fitted round the back that the fitter said that new style closers were available for these frameless doors so I got one fitted. Due to the forces and angles it definitely struggles more to operate the door. Here is a picture of the model.

post-7988-126079120594_thumb.jpg

Note I have now ground off the 2 sharp corners which lend nothing to the operation and in fact have almost caught a scalp or two over the years.

post-7988-126079115395_thumb.jpg

Talk about bolting the stable door after the horse has effed off! It made me feel better abusing it anyway! :hrhr:

Not an Evora I know, but this happened to my Esprit last week, needing a new bumper. It was in the care of the garage being taken round the corner for a wheel geometry check! The other driver was at fault by the way.

000_2309.jpg

This is the second time for me - at the major service back in the summer a delivery driver reversed his truck into it - just after I'd had the call to pick it up. It needed a new bumper back then as well.

I've had the car 18 months and, touch wood, have had no scrapes or shunts whatsoever. Send it in for a service and this happens. Someone up there doesn't like me.

OUCH!!

I have often worried about my car round the back at the dealership, it's very tight for space and people who don't work on the site just don't go slow enough.

I wonder if they ever have problems bashing Aston's or Rollers in that car park.

How did this end up in here, i thought I was replying to the topic?

Al

It was good to talk to you today and I hope you feel better before heading offshore again.

Stick to the day job as I don't think your attempt at restyling has worked. :hrhr:

At least it only broke off and doesn't appear to have damaged the tailgate or paintwork.

Merry Christmas when it comes. :beer:

Edited by bingoking