free hit
counters
So who has been out in the Lotus in the snow? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
andydclements

So who has been out in the Lotus in the snow?

So who has been brave/ stupid/ unlucky enough to be out in the snow and / or ice in the UK in the last couple of days? I was, simply because I use the Esprit daily and I went to work in it, so had to drive home / ski home in it last night.

Any others out the done the same?

Ps, you may want to look at images of Norwich in the snow on weather / news to compare, it closed approx half of local schools, we've had snow ploughs and diggers out to clear roads etc.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not a chance, the alfa is having a hard time getting grip where i am so the Lotus is staying nice and warm in the garage.

Yep..

I was in the Evora demonstrator last night. It seemed like the safest bet as it has all the latest driver aids!

The journey in this morning (from what has just been voted the most remote village in South Norfolk) was great fun on untreated country lanes, albeit at much reduced speeds.

I'm looking forward to the journey home now! Might even take a lunch hour as a further excuse for a drive.

It's not so bad once the roads have been cleared..but with snow laying thickly you are your OWN snowplough!! Mine's staying in the workshop..and I'm in full siege mode stocked up for the entire festive season; the first flurries on Wednesday sent me out to the shops, I remembered how it can get over here...I now have 5" of snow, canal and stream frozen solid, steps down to workshop just about passable...pass the salt, please....!

"Waiter, another brandy, and pronto!!"

"One brandy and pronto coming up, Sir!!"

I ended up doing a complete circuit of the M25 on Wednesday in the S3 when it was just starting, glad it wasn't yesterday evening. Worst thing was cleaning the grot off the car once I got home , it was a bit too cold to be messing with a bucket and sponge but it had to be done.

It's bad in mid kent, mainly becuase the gritters never bothered to go out and no-one can seem to drive anymore. All the slopes were un-britted so the compounded snow made it silly time by 11pm last night. About 4" here all in all.

I wouldn't ever ever ever take mine out in this kinda weather, not only the conditions, the shinola/salt (if any) being cast up into the underside of the car, wheelspin etc but the ammount of blithering idiots about who are skidding and bumping into each other...they seem to think driver aids cover the laws of physics too (mostly BMW drivers come a cropper). A lot of 4x4 drivers seem to have had a bad experience as well - yes you car might be a 4x bloody 4 but if you have road tyres full of snow and zero grip it doesn't make any difference how many drive wheels you have !

I saw some golf pulled up and the lights and a lorry skidded up behind him at 10 degrees slant, missed bumping him out into traffic by about 6"

If you have to go out be very careful and I hope nothing bad comes of your journey, but as a badge of honor or boasting lever....you're really barking up the wrong tree.

4" snow and 1/2 the county closes down, pathetic really.

Edited by Jonathan

Louise knicked the Range Rover this morning as it's just had a set of Vredestein winter tyres fitted and her journey to work is a bit rural. It was touch and go as to whether West Sussex council were going to close the school today, but the early morning phonecall was a 'No, we are open - come on in' instead. Gutted, last day of term too! hrhr.gif

So as a returning favour, I stole her Elise to ferry my daughter around a bit later. biggrin.gif

Tough luck Andy,you should have had your Landy finished, I as out in my series 1 86" and it was fun to say the least nice 4 wheel drifts.

Its not snowed here yet but when it does I shall be out in it..........on my scooter!!!!! HA HA!!!

Snow! I haven't even seen so much as a cloud in the sky all day - 100% blue skys all day in Devon I kid you not - but this is suposed to be the English Riviera :) - but, BLOOMIN COLD!

Yup. The Elise is a daily driver, so snow and ice are routine. Strangely enough it is not the ideal winter transport :)

Snow! I haven't even seen so much as a cloud in the sky all day - 100% blue skys all day in Devon I kid you not - but this is suposed to be the English Riviera :) - but, BLOOMIN COLD!

Bet you're still in your shorts though!

Take care driving this way tomorrow, unless it thaws out quickly it's not great fun around here and a few roads are either shut or as good as!

Bet you're still in your shorts though!

Take care driving this way tomorrow, unless it thaws out quickly it's not great fun around here and a few roads are either shut or as good as!

Ha Ha Lol - Did I leave the webcam on?

Yep, kind of got the feeling we might see a bit tomorrow. Prob phone ya for an update late afternoon tomorrow. Don't know if the Chunnel will be affected or not yet.

Yep Esprit was out yesterday and was going to use her today but decided not too as could'nt be bothered to refuel her as my other car had a full tank and did not want to get cold (god i'm getting old):)

Anyhow the snow would never stop me and who needs driver aids

We have had snow on the hills for about 3 weeks now and plenty of brief snow showers to keep us amused up here along with about 3 weeks of hard frost. The Evora is a daily use car and I have continued through this period. The rear of the car gets terribly dirty but apart from the lower portion below the doors the rest stays remarkably grime free. Says a lot about the arodynamics. Must wash it soon as that is 3 weeks now of it......

As far as the playing is concerned it is good trying to see difference between normal nanny electronics keeping things calm, Sport button 'on' so tail will slide more before electronics intervene and switch the lot off and find out you are not the driving god you thought you were! :) Only one close kerb/rear alloy interface required before sensible hat back on. Aren't electronics clever! You can definitely get more rear end step out even on greasy roads with Sport button pressed. Until braver that has been the most 'fun' position.

Drove the Elise home in a blizzard yesterday evening which gradually got worse as I neared home !. Left it at home this morning as we are a fair way from the main road and it was like a skating rink as usual this morning, although I beginning to regret my decision now as it's not snowed much today and now I'm going to have to walk home from the station in the freezing cold :thumbup:.

Martyn :)

use the excel everyday..... :thumbup:

this morning was fun getting down the lane...reminded me of a song

"slip sliding away..slip sliding away..ay.." :)

Broomed off 3 inches of snow from the car and moved it into the garage at luchtime if that counts.

Trevor.

I looked at the BBC news web site and saw the amount of snow in SE England. I wouldn't be driving the Lotus in that. We're due for `blizzard conditions' here in southern NY /LI tomorrow afternoon into Sunday. Should be interesting, but I'll be driving the Subaru, I think!

Cheers,

Trevor

We don't get much snow here, although the Mountain Road was closed over the weekend...mainly because of ice (our DoT doesn't seem to understand the concept of road cambers and drainage). Since I needed 3 seats I only went out in the Jaaaaag, although I've always used Lottie in the snow when I lived in the UK - can't understand anyone being afraid of it, unless the throttle's on a hair trigger! Just cut your speed by 75% and increase your response time accordingly.

I actually think you can learn more about an Esprit's handling at 5mph on snow in a deserted supermarket car park than at 130mph around a racetrack (and I've tried both!).

I actually think you can learn more about an Esprit's handling at 5mph on snow in a deserted supermarket car park than at 130mph around a racetrack (and I've tried both!).

Somebody must have some pictures!

post-3577-126151314307_thumb.jpg

Love that colour in Elans, wish my misses liked them (she's Elise crazy) - looks great !

Was thinking of taking the Esprit out tonight but bottled it - Some roads are like ice here cus the snow started to melt, filled in all the gaps and froze around 3pm....I kid you not some of the roads wer 4" thick in sheet ice, saw 2 shunts walking home and a stuck cash security van just spinning the wheels blocking the road...I did suggest letting the tyres down but they looked at me as if I was from another planet so I let them get on with it LOL.

I would go out, I just dont trust the other people and with no gritters becuase the council has zero cash I dont care on chancing it.

Do you know how much council tax around here is? The council should be minted!