free hit
counters
Can any one guess whats wrong? - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Can any one guess whats wrong?

G14GAV

Im Gav and have been wanting a lotus elise/exige for about 3 years.

Early December I took the plunge and bought a very tidy looking 06reg S2 Exige with 19,000 miles.

3days after collection the engine management came on, a trip back down to the garage to have an exhaust cat sensor replaced. Collected the car and half way home the light came back on, so another trip down to the garage to have the second exhaust sensor done (beats me why they didnt do them both the 1st time). Whilst in having the second one done the heater resistor pack gave up, it stayed in the garage for another week having this replaced.

Finally picked the car up the day before christmas eve, half way home the management light came on again (not impressed).

Over christmas I was snowed in (everyday car) so didnt use it at all thinking Id return it to the garage when I could.

Used it for work on Tuesday and then this happened on returning home:

Let the engine warm up properly and set of home, pottered around on the Ice for 20mins till I was on the motorway (048s),

came off a round about onto a straight bit and pulled out to overtake a car, worked through the gears into forth, about 7000 revs in forth and it refused to rev any further. It felt like it had hit the limiter, anyway about 2 seconds later the engine management light started flashing and then ALL lights on the dash started flashing, there was bit of a rattle and then it died, (at this part I got passed by the 1.2 fiesta wallbash.gif)

As I rolled onto the hard shoulder I let the clutch out and it tried its best to start again, sounded very rough and wouldnt pull at all, almost like when you turn the ignition off whilst driving. Maybe rattled too. There was no smoke produced either!

On inspection once stopped, the oil was 3quarters full (usual) and the water was full as well, neither had mixed, the car has been using a lot of oil compared to other cars ive had (top up every 500 miles) the top of the engine was too hot to touch, but nothing appeared to be leaking, broke or cracked.

Weather was around 3degrees with no rain, also engine was fully up to temp.

When it stopped it definitely sounded mechanical as there was some kind of noise from the back. Its current running a viper induction kit but haven't had it long enough to notice any other mods.

So I visited the garage again rant.gif only this time in an AA van at 11pm.

Any guesses as to what went wrong?

Hopefully I should be finding out next week so will keep you posted.

Cheers

Gav

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gav,

What a lousy start to Lotus ownership for you ...... it ain't always that bad, honest :lol:

I'm no mechanic but you shouldn't need to top up the oil every 500 miles on a modern car.

This suggests you've either got an oil leak or it's burning too much. Either way, it needs proper investigation.

Clearly the ECU doesn't like something and suspect that if the engine has been modified ( induction kits ) the problem may lie there.

Do you have any service history to show what mods have been done, by whom and when.

You don't say whether you bought the Exige from a Lotus dealer, but if not, that might be your next port of call so that they can plug in the computer to see what might be wrong.

Good luck

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Not sure it helps but this is something i have, and i live with it as it has only happened 3 times and i know why.

(my car has non lotus ecu, and non lotus cat, and thanks to the PO my elise runs at 170bhp)

After 2 hours of hard miles eg motorways up to donny, or early morning from snetterton, i get the management/cat overheat light followed by rev limiter.

I stop, start again and it's fine. I know the cat probably gets hotter than it should, but can understand why, and i'd kind of expect this to come on if i did 2-3 hours straight driving on high revs (which is when it has come on). I live with it, but i might get over to this place at northampton sometime and get the perameters changed, although in a way i kinda like the fact it is there.

:lol:

Not an enjoyable start,

Bought it from a garage but not a lotus dealership, next port of call is to tell the garage i want it taking to Lotus i think!

Full receipts with the car, no mods in there though, just very regular services with oil/filter changes and regular stuff. Full Lotus Service History including Lotus fitting the induction kit.

Thanks for the reply

Cheers

Gav

Gav,

Whereabouts are you?

There are a number of good independent garages around that have lots of Lotus experience, so main dealer may not be necessary.

Alternatively, if you're close to Norwich, you can always take it back to the factory

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Just found this on another forum and think it sounds close,

My engine developed an unusual rattle at high rpm last weekend. I've just taken the cam cover off to inspect. The high lift lobes on cyls 3 and 4 are all f#cked up. They dont appear to have had any lubrication.It appears the engine may not have any oil pressure? The spray jets look clear?

Its just plenty of oil in it and only has 12K on the clock. The warranty ran out last month too.I haven't even had chance to take it on track yet?

I haven't got a clue what to do now

I'm guessing the dealers will take me for every penny I have if they have to strip it down just to tell me its FUBAR.

I'm going to speak to Lotus in the morning, but I'm not expecting any miracles...

Anybody think mine maybe releated?

Gav

Edited by Kimbers
Colour of text same as background

Until you said about the rattle I thought it was the same problem as mine had. Like you it went back 3 times to the factory and eventually the fault was reported and fixed as it had a genuine CAT 3 exhaust. Apparantly it runs hotter and the Co2 level is slightly higher than the CPU perameters and so the light came on and when it was running too hot for the sensors it limited my revs.

The "Rev limiter" is used in many situations (Even when the engine is cold it won't let you rev it). However the rattle seems like a problem.

The fact it seems to have at least 1 non-gen mod may be your issue. These engines are so finely tuned that any mods are normally spat out by the CPU unless it's a genuine Lotus Sport Mod and the CPU needs reprogramming.

On the subject of the issue, I would insist on it being looked at either by a Genuine Dealer or The Factory Team (Rowland Leftley can be contacted on the normal number) and the Garage you bought it off should pay under their warranty or your protected rights.

On the subject of Mods on these cars, virtually anything can be fitted/modified by genuine factory performance parts (or ones recommended by the factory). IMHO there is no excuse to EVER fit a non Gen performance part to an Exige (unless price is a major issue and then just don't mod it).BTW I know you didn't do the mod.

Good Luck.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Update- turns out I'm not gonna find out what's wrong, warranty company are replacing the engine with a full recon and 12months warranty, probs the best possible outcome I think!

Thanks for the replys...

Gav

Sounds good to me, 12 months to try and break it again!!

Hope this sorts it and its not an ECU problem.............

Dont worry,be happy.............