free hit
counters
2nd gear problems - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I need a little advice fellows,

Yesterday when I was on a highway on ramp I had somehing strange happen. I had my foot in it a little and at about 6000 rpm in 2nd gear the car felt like it hit a wall of marshmellow and slowed down, it was enough to throw me forward in the seat. At first I thought that the hose between the charge cooler and the intake had come off (happened before and felt the same), but then everything felt fine. When I exited the highway and was heading through town I shifted into 2nd gear easily enough but getting it out was notchy and it even grinded a little on the way out. I nursed it to a friends house in 1st and third, after I turned the ignition off I started to row through the gears, when I shifted into second it would not come out, damn thing was stuck. When the flat bed arrived to take me home a couple of hours latter I hopped in the car to push the clutch in to get it pulled onto the deck and sure enough it moved out of second gears easily. When I had it off the bed of the tow truck at home and ran through the gears it feels like there is nothing wrong with it. Does anyone know what I should look at first, I'm thinking that the there is something wrong with the forks but i also admit to being a complete idiot when it comes to this sort of thing.

Thanks in advance, Steve

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve,

The "marshmallow wall" you referred to, could that have been you hitting the rev limiter and the ECM cutting the fuel/ignition or overboosting and the ECM cutting the boost?

As for the second gear issue, it sounds like you may have broken off a couple of dog teeth on the second gear and the pieces are jamming the gear movement. Usually when that happens the pieces will eventually get thrown out of the gear shafts and into the bottom of the pan and all will be fine again. You must be careful though as at some point all of the teeth will get broken off and you'll have no second gear and it will be time for a tranny rebuild.

Take it easy on the 1st-2nd shift...

If you're lucky it could just be a linkage issue but that won't usually cure itself.

Here's a pic of a 2nd gear with broken dog teeth along with the pieces.

2ndgear.jpg

tranny0015_edited.jpg

1995 S4s

Yep i concur,2nd gear has had it ,get it fixed before you do some more and potentially expensive damage,not a cheap job but if you need a name i can help.

Cheers

Nick S4s

ETA. Sorry just noticed you are in the US,so my "name" might not be quite so usefull.

Edited by fflyingdog

Simplest things first.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll just get the damn thing rebuilt. Since I purchased the car a few years ago I've had a few issues before with second gear. Occasionaly it just had a hard time getting into second and would clear up and be fine for quite a while. I've taken it easy going from first to second but I think that the time has come to throw some money at the problem. Is there anything I can do to improve the reliability since I'm going to rebuild the transmission anyway, and if anyone stateside that has had theirs rebuilt could give me an estimate on what it cost them I would apreciate the heads up. Jim as far as the rev limiter, I dont think so I was only at 6000 rpm and about to shift into third, do you think it could have been the wastegate not opening properly causing it to overboost????

Thanks again, Steve

Edited by Steve

Steve,

Yes it could possibly be a wastegate problem causing overboost, watch your boost gauge closely and see what it says or run Freescan on a test drive if you have it and know how to interpret the readings.

From what you describe about having 2nd gear issues in the past, that sounds like the problem I described earlier. It probably won't hurt to drive it if you take it easy but sooner or later you're going to lose second gear.

As far as the tranny rebuild it ain't cheap. Just a second gear and a couple of synchros is probably close to a grand in parts plus the labor. As a wild guess I'd say $2500 on the low end.

Call Jeff at JAE and see who he recommends in your area. I know Harry at Viking Motorsports is the best around but he is quite a ways from you.

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

With rebuilding it could good be a good opportunity to upgrade the box as well.

Get in touch with Steve Nicholson at

http://www.albinsgear.com.au/media.php

He's one of the engineers there. This aussie company has an excellent international reputation. Albins has been supplying gearsets for the UN1 boxes to off-road racers for the last 25 years or so. They also do a lot of other gearsets, check their site, with 80% of their product going overseas, mainly the US.

They can do both syncro and dog changes. My first photo shows their dog 1st and 2nd, which with mainshaft, slider and hub is about AUD$2500. This can be combined with the normal Renault syncros for 3rd-5th, allowing lightning gear changes to 1st and 2nd. Some people can quickly adapt to dog changes whilst others may need to replace the gears (usually 2nd at about $500) once or twice before the get the hang of it.

If you wanted a normal syncro set up Albins do those too at around AUD$2000 for mainshaft, 1st and 2nd ratios of your choice. It's even possible to have them supply a 5speed close ratio instead of 4 + overdrive. For a similar 5th to OEM, that could be done with the 3.44 diff with around .9 for 5th, 1st whatever you want, say 2.9 for the four cylinder and the others calculated to suit. Probably double the cost though. This set-up with the 3.89 diff could be just the ticket for track days.

Steve showed me a range of ratios they make as well as their own mainshafts, crownwheels and pinions. He recently oversaw their first one piece shaft similar to what Derek Bell used to make. For the four cylinder engines though their copy of the normal shaft would be more than strong enough. It's made with proper gear cutting hobs and higher quality steel.

UN1options1009002.jpg

UN1options1009001.jpg

Oh and if you just do a standard rebuild their tougher 2nd gear might be worth pricing instead of the OEM one.

Cheers

Edited by DanR

DanR

Just a quick point on the gear box, I take it you no longer have the red hose as this can sometimes cause the clutch to be difficult to dissengage and therefore the gearbox. A lot cheaper than gearbox rebuild so worth the check and replacement first.

With regard to brick wall then check your waste gate vacuum hose is attached properly and in good condition.

cheers