free hit
counters
How to Remove a broken off bolt in an engine block - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

How to Remove a broken off bolt in an engine block

slade

So, I have an LT1 Corvette engine that will someday go into... something I own. But not the Esprit.

Anyways, it's an aluminum block, and in one of the engine mount holes there is a broken off bolt. It's not broken off flush with the block, maybe a centimeter down.

What manner of tool might I use to extract this?

slade

Edited by slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I have an LT1 Corvette engine that will someday go into... something I own. But not the Esprit.

Anyways, it's an aluminum block, and in one of the engine mount holes there is a broken off bolt. It's not broken off flush with the block, maybe a centimeter down.

What manner of tool might I use to extract this?

slade

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What you need is what us limeys call an Easy Out ( basically a left handed tapered tap and it aint easy out believe me !).

go to your local engineers supply tool store and explain what you want to do.

Drill the required size hole and wind the tap in ( Anticlock) .....it would probably pay to heat the block first, will prob. take some time to heat , rig up an ' Oven' made of metal sheets and an electric blower heater.

failing that drill the sod out, check the dims. first for tapping drill sizes.

If you dont succeed , pay my fare and I will come to CA to sort it out ..

Mike :P:P:P

"Neglect not thy opportunities"

Martock ,Somerset. 1661

hmm... will do (and still considering the airfare option :P) sounds like either way I'll just have to be careful not to destroy the threads too much...

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

I've used those dremel things to remove broken steel studs from bronze castings before. Just drill it as much as you can before getting into the meat of the engine block, and then with a gentle hand slowly grind the stud oit from the inside out. If done correctly you can then pull out the remaining little bits of the stud thread with some needle nose pliars and then run the appropriate tap down it to clean up anything that is left. As long as you car careful this is foolproof, just take your time.

stu.

Driving Automotive Aristocracy Since 2004

As Mike Ring says the Easy Out does the job.

Over here they call them Tap Screw Extractors.

Also you can try a reverse pitch drill bit.

They are designed to rotate anti-clockwise (use with a reversable drill motor)

These will shift a broken stud or bolt 9/10 :lol:

SUNP0003-1.jpg