free hit
counters
Sealants and Gaskets - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
robertcosta

Sealants and Gaskets

Really stupid question but on an Esprit do you recommend smearing the gaskets(not head gasket) with the appropriate sealant before assembly?

I'm eliminating the usual oil leaks.

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone :-(

1977 S1 Esprit, in bits

1998 Lotus Elise S1, Azure Blue
Sydney, Australia

“The parts falling from this car are examples of the finest British craftsmanship”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'd refer to the manual. But, generally speaking, no to the head gasket or exhaust manifold gasket. Again I generalise but I use Hymola if I can get it or Permatex Ultra Blue, I think of them as a "holder" keep the gasket in place will fixing. And ! only ever on one side of the gasket. If there are spigots/dowels then thats the side for the sealant.

Check the manual and the special notes and service updates that should help you.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I still use Wellseal, the original build gasket cement. As it is very thin and runny, I apply it to the faces to be sealed and also both sides of the gaskets (using a course artists paintbrush). If I was using a thicker cement I would not follow the same approach as if you get too much depth of goo, it can lead to distortion and uncertain torque settings.

Just very personal opinion, but I don't like blue Hylomar. whereas, warm red hermatite & Wellseal smell lovely....

Steve

Hylomar blue most places. I did use the wellseal on the sump as this is whats called for in the service manual. Man thats sticky stuff. I was using the spray hylomar blue as this is what is recomended on the hylomar blue tubes. Spray each side of the gasket before using, but they have stopped making it now! The stuff in the tube you need to leave if a few minutes to dry before using it. I use a small art brush to apply but only use a reall small amount.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

I luv the smell of Loctite in the morning.......

Thank guys!

Rob

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise

1977 S1 Esprit, in bits

Sydney, Australia

“The parts falling from this car are examples of the finest British craftsmanship”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

One thing we forgot, was make sure the mating serfices mate ! Don't use sealant as a filler. Personally I would not use it both sides of the gasket if there is is likelyhood it will be me taking it apart next time, but others may feel differently.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Fair enough! The PO did exactly that, what a bugger to separate and clean off!!!...and at the end of the day it still leaked. That's why I want to do it right first go while the engines out.

Rob

Edited by USAndretti42
No need for quote of immediately-preceding post

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise

1977 S1 Esprit, in bits

Sydney, Australia

Personally I would not use it both sides of the gasket if there is is likelyhood it will be me taking it apart next time, but others may feel differently.

Roger

Both the Hylomar and the Wellseal are non setting for the very reason of disassebly.

Echo the part about the faces should be very flat and very very clean before sealing. I alway use a spray degreaser aswell.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

I use Hylomar and Wellseal in the places specified by the manual -- have had no problems with leaks. For cam covers, I use Mercedes-Benz "surface sealing" -- the white tube with black goo inside that they use for timing chain covers, etc. Took 260H and 454H up to their required valve clearance checks with no leaks. :)

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Buddsy: May I ask if you have used the Permatex for the oil pan, as it is plentiful here in the U.S? I tried some schelack type stuff but did not work. Is there a gasket for that, or just the sealer? p.s. "Where does he get all those wonderful toys":) Where did you get your service manual, I have looked everywhere and cannot find one? hell my sister even lives in Norwich! Many thanks! Lee

1985 Esprit T.